Colorado Moose and Mountain Goat

C

Csu7mm

Where would you guys suggest applying for mountain goats and moose here in CO? What is the average success rate for mt. goats? I have heard that it is pretty high, but not for sure. How about moose? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Anywhere you can draw a tag!!! You have about 1:1000 chance of drawing a Colo bull moose tag if you don't already have pref pts, but someone has to draw a tag. Any unit in Colo would offer a great chance of getting a bull. If you want to hunt cow moose you have a lot better chance of drawing a tag.

You won't have a chance at drawing a Colo mtn goat tag until you have at least 3 pref pts. Success is very high when you draw a tag and different units have a variety of goat numbers, quality, remote vs easy access, season dates, etc. It took me 12 years before I drew my mtn goat tag....and I drew both mtn goat and sheep the same year. Draw odds are slim for goats even after you get the 3 pref pts.

If you want to look up draw odds and other info, it is available at the CDOW website.

Where did you get your goat at? And your sheep? I know that I'm in for a long wait, but it will be worth it when I do eventually draw.

I shot my mtn goat at about 11,000' elevation and my ram at about 10,500! Sorry about being sarcastic, but there aren't too many guys out there that are going to broadcast their favorite hunting grounds...especially on the internet! I have close hunting buddies as well as an up and coming hunter that I'd like to take to these areas some day.

If you are willing to keep up on draw stats and harvest reports, speak to game biologists, spend time looking at maps, or best of all...get out and hike the hills there is a very good possibility you will be rewarded for your hard earned effort. I am the kind of hunter that gets a lot of satisfaction out of scouting and hunting the old fashion way...sore feet, back, and eyeballs!

That's fine. I don't expect anyone to give up their sweet spots. How long did it take you to draw for sheep? Have you ever put in for moose?

It took 12 years for me to draw a mtn goat tag and 12 years to draw my sheep tag. I drew a bighorn ewe tag in-between those years as a 2nd choice and had a great hunt with bow.

I have been applying for a moose tag since the CDOW opened them up to hunting in Colorado. Lost count of how many years that is? A buddy of mine drew a Colo moose tag a couple years ago and he said the odds for drawing a Colo desert sheep was actually better than the draw odds for the moose tag he draw! I'm up to 8 years applying in Wyo so hopefully one of these years I'll draw a bullwinkle tag!

It took me 13 years to draw a mtn goat tag, On bighorn I've drawn 2 tags. I killed a ram in 98---so this I can start applying again. Moose still trying 3 points & several weight points. My wife drew a sheep tag in 02----same year I drew my mtn goat tag. Lot of time in the high country that year. On goats, I suggest you hunt in the Collegiates. Also as late in the season as you can----they have better pantalons----I suggest doing a half mount rather than a shoulder mount. Shoot me a PM----I'll tell you all I know about mtn goats. Sheep, well that's is another story---LOL !!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom