Colorado Mountain Goat...

dslaughter

I suspected to see some posts about Colorado mountain goats by now. Maybe I've missed them... so...
Yesterday was the second day of my goat season here in Colorado. The first goat season had been going on for a couple of weeks and the goats were scattered far and wide. I set my expectations low... I wanted a mature goat with good hair. Any horn length at all would be a bonus.
My wife and I drove out Friday to setup a comfortable camp on the main road system into the western half of the area. I had several friends that wanted to be a part of this trip so I was on hold for the first full day and a half of season until everyone arrived. My good friend David from Kansas City flew in Friday night and drove out Saturday morning with my stepdaughter. Another friend Jeff was flying in Saturday morning and driving 4 hours to my hunting area. He should arrive around 2:30 if traffic was light. My plan would be to scout Friday and start hunting Saturday. If I found a mature goat in a good spot we would wait for Jeff to arrive.
Scouting on Friday revealed that most folks were road hunting. The DoW had mentioned a few key areas to look for second season goats and this appeared to be common knowledge among the other tag holders. Due to work obligations I had very limited time to hunt. I could hunt the opening and closing weekends. For this reason, I set my standards on any mature goat.
Saturday got off to a slow start with me and my wife enjoying a big breakfast around the camp fire as we waited on David to arrive in camp. Soon after he arrived we loaded our packs and pack frames into the truck and made our way to a trail system that would carry us into the western most reaches or the unit. The trail carried us up a steep trail through thick timber and then gradually broke out into timberline country. Pre-season scouting had turned up several pairs of nannies and kids in this drainage and I hoped we could find them as we approached the upper end of the drainage.
About half way up the drainage movement caught my eye on the west side of the drainage. A quick glassing session revealed one very large goat grazing with what appeared to be last year's kid. Even from 900 yards away the horns looked very impressive. Dave setup the spotter and we watched the goats feed along above us and then finally bed down. It was 11:30 am... three hours before Jeff should arrive.
My wife and step daughter decided to move on up the trail to try to locate some more goats for me. They managed to find a lone goat high on a ridge on the east side of the drainage. After a brief discussion we decided that the first 2 goats were in a much more stalkable position. By now the it was very close to 2:00 pm...
We decided to leave my wife and daughter to keep an eye on the goats while Dave and I began our assent. We would hold off on the final stalk until Jeff arrived or 3:30 whichever came first. About that time my radio began to crack. Jeff's voice came over the air. He was about a half a mile into the climb to our position. We told him that we were sitting on goats and to get it in gear. Jeff hurried up the trail while Dave and I began our assent.
The goats had been perched 2 shelves of rock above us. By the time we had reached the first shelf Jeff came into view below us. We waited for him climb up to us and catch his breath. By this time the goats had left their beds and began feeding south along the slope away from us. This worked to our advantage as it kept us from having to gain more elevation before beginning our final stalk. We headed straight towards the goats now. The wind was right and they were feeding away from us. The range was just under 500 yards.
We picked out a knoll about 150 yards in front of us. If we could reach this knoll I could consider a shot. As we reached the knoll Dave ranged the goats at 370 yards. The larger of the goats had turned angling slightly towards us. This was to be my shot. I placed a day pack on a large rock and settled in behind the scope. For being at almost 12,000 feet elevation my breathing was remarkably calm. I settled the cross-hairs of the Leupold scope high on the goats chest. My hold was steady so I asked Dave and Jeff to spot for me as I slowly squeezed the trigger on 7mm magnum. As the rifle roared I watched the front end of the larger goat come off the ground. The hit was solid but goats are tough and she began running down hill. I chambered another round and this time struck the goat low in the hip. The goats ran over the ridgeline and out of site. The radio crackled again. This time it was my wife congratulating me on taking my hard earned trophy. She watched the whole thing play out through the spotting scope from the valley floor below. After a brief thunder blizzard we recovered the goat. Both horns taped an identical 9 and a half inches. My plan had been to take a mature goat. I feel very blessed to have taken such a nice trophy in some amazing country with the help of my friends and family.
My apologies for the blood in this picture...
me-goat.jpg

goat-lay.jpg

Dman
What a great story and a big time congrats to you for adding a trophy to your collection. Thats cool Pam got to seeit all unfold. Great job. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Yelum

That first shot is a great goat photo with the mountains in the background. Well done. Were you happy with the hair on your goat? I'm going on a trip to ID this week and I hope the hide is in good condition.

Since I'm trying to test my goat horn judging skills do you mind posting the length on your goat?

Thanks, guys! This hunt could not have gone any better.
Gznokes, the DoW said that goats can put on an inch and a half of hair a week this time of the year. Her hair was great. Nannies tend to have more clumps of old hair hanging on into the fall. She had 2 very small patches easily removed. That goat is very wet in that picture. In between shooting and recovering the goat we goat pounded with rain and snow. The hair on that goat was pretty flat. I'll try to find a better photo for the horn length but she is an honest 9.5 inches (by my taping). I have to take her by the DoW today and they'll measure the horns and count the growth rings. I'll post those results later today.

a few more pics...
here's the mountain...
IMG_1843.jpg

here's the goat...
IMG_1844.jpg

here's some darn cool country...
IMG_1855.jpg

here's the recovery...
IMG_1878.jpg

and the ending... (actually the ending was a 3 mile hike down a nasty steep mountain under the light of a petzle...)
IMG_1899.jpg

Congratulations are in order, my friend. A well deserved and hard earned trophy. Great pics!

I was going to guess 10 inches. I guess I'll have to work on my skills at acertaining 1/2 inch! Goats are tough to judge. Love the photos. They really capture the spirit of a goat hunt.

Nice job! Thanks for taking the time to post all of the pictures. I was offered a returned tag a week before the season but had to turn it down on the short notice, so I'm living vicariously through your hunt.

Thanks everyone!
I dropped by the DoW today and had her checked in. They measured her at 9 and 1/4 inches on both horns and aged her at 4 and a half years old. I had guessed much older but I'm certainly no biologist.
We dropped her off at my taxidermist and now I get to finish unpacking. Breaking camp in the rain makes for a messy back yard when you get home.

Supposedly 90-95% of horn length occurs in the first three years. Kind of an odd growth pattern when you compare them to other animals.

wow...good one 'ds'...nice goat and nice pics...congratulations to all of you...thanks for sharing with the rest of us..

I'd give you a recipe but I dont think you have a functioning BBQ yet.

Nice goat Mr. Slaughter, tis a fine specimen.

Dude......congratulations from your friend in So. Calif!!!! That is absolutely an AWESOME critter to take. How the heck were you guys able to walk on all that slippery arse shale at 12,000 feet is beyond me....And how neat was that that Pam got to see the whole thing unfold like that????? And that you nailed down the goats BEFORE the climbing master (Jeff) got there??? Very cool.....

Goats and rams to me are dreams of a lifetime, and you my friend, have accomplished one of my dreams for sure. Way to hum........

As far as goat recipes, I've had domestic goat (berria, I think the mexicans call it) in burritos and tacos and it's EXCELLENT. I think they shred it like shredded beef and probably just spice it up a little. I'm sure you'll find some good recipes, I sure don't have anything other that I know it's great in burritos......

Hope to see you sometime this winter, I'll try to make a trip out there again before Christmas.

Thanks, Myke!
Its great to hear from you.
We were very lucky to find her where the walking was quite steep but the footing was very stable. If she'd made it around the ridge it would have been a much different outcome I believe.
Now if I can just draw a bighorn tag...

Dave,

Sorry it took me so long to check out your
post. Been pre-occupied hanging out in WINDY
NM.

You done GOOD, sir. Great goat. Great job.
You and Pam worked your arses off getting this
thing going, and I'm DANGED proud or you.

You know I intended to be there, but you know
as well why I didn't make it. Looks like you had
it well under control. From the pic's you sent,
looks like you were in excellent company.

I LOVE it when a plan comes together. And you
damned sure made it happen on this.

Big time congrats from me and Cindy.

Laro

Thanks, Larry!
I wish you could have been there as well. It was high adventure (literally) for sure.
I'm sure we'll be hunting together soon enough.
take care,
ds

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-08 AT 09:01PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-08 AT 08:59?PM (MST)

ds

Hey thanks for recomending the western half of the unit! We arrived Friday morning, set up camp and got started about noon checking out the country. Since the day was short I planned on droping into the southern part of the basin. We spotted a lone billy on top of a pretty rugged peak and decided to watch him during the lightning, rain, sleet, snow and fog and try to make a plan for him on sat. About 6 pm a group of 5 goats came over the ridge behind us to the east and I decided to give them a go. 1.2 miles and 1800ft elevation gain put me to 460 yds and no chance at getting closer before light was gone. I dialed my scope to one click past 450, laid up on a rock and squeezed it off when the largest goat walked into the crosshair. High spine quartering away rolled her down the mtn about 50 yards and she never moved. I headed her way but soon had to make the call that i was wet, had no jacket, headlamp or knife and by the time my buddy would get up to me it would be useless, so i headed down the mountain. Saturday morning found us scrambling up the slope to retrieve my trophy, 8 inch dry nanny. It was incredible!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/48e04458527402fd

Eric,
Man, that is awesome! Good for you! Glad things worked out well. By the way, AMAZING SHOT!
thanks for the update!
ds

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom