Colorado Preference Point Fees $40

30Hart

Very Active Member
Colorado has increased the PP fee for elk, deer, and antelope to $40 each. Plus you have to buy a license to apply, but if you had a license last year you are exempt. The 2013 Fishing License satifies this result as you can still purchase it until March 31, 2014...it'll save you some money if you normally buy all three points.

So if I buy all 3 points and don't buy a fishing license, I'm out $120 ($40 per point) right?

How do the other small fees work if applying for points only (the $3 processing fee and the $10 habitat stamp fee)? Do you pay that $13 for each point you apply for since you have to buy the license and then just get refunded, or do you only get charged those fees once?

The $3 fee and $10 habitat stamp is if you had a big game license the previous year [2013].And yeah, if you have to pay the $40, that's a big increase from $25. It works out We go every 2 years and send for a PP the year in-between, so it works out that we always pay the smaller fee. However, the license fees also went up considerably, $604 for a bull tag now. They throw in the fishing license to make it look better. Whoopy Doo!

Called DOW customer service and verified what 30Hart posted that NR's can buy a 2013 fishing license to satisfy the previous year license exemption from paying for PPts. Since we normally buy points for elk, deer and pronghorn and did not make it to Colo. last year that does save us nearly 50% on point fees!! Just bought my 2013 annual fishing license on-line so I am all set to apply for points this year.

>Colorado has increased the PP fee
>for elk, deer, and antelope
>to $40 each. Plus
>you have to buy a
>license to apply.....

They may be considering making you buy a license to apply in the future but that is not true currently for this years application.

However,as you state, IF you buy the annual fishing license, you don't have to pay the $40 PP fee and since it went up, that makes it worth it if you apply for only 2 species. Especially if you go fishing there!

As I get a hunting license every year, I have not paid a PP fee yet and since I go up every summer and fish, I am glad the now include the fishing license in the big game tag.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>You are correct that you don't
>have to buy a license
>to apply for a tag
>but the license will save
>me the ppt fee.

Right. Of course if you somehow know that you will draw or be issued a license, you won't pay the PP fee either. For those that apply for PP only, and apply for 2 or more species, it makes sense to buy the fishing license

txhunter58

>However,
>the license fees also went
>up considerably, $604 for a
>bull tag now. They throw
>in the fishing license to
>make it look better.
>Whoopy Doo!

They didn't "throw in the fishing license to make it look better." By adding the fishing license, it counts as 2 license sales instead of one, which means the state receives more PR/DJ funds.

That thought has been kicked around in my circle of friends as well. Looks like DOW found a way to get a huge jump in the number of fishing license sales to boost their DJ $$ percentage

Did I understand correctly that if I have a 2013 fishing license I can apply for a preference point at no charge? Or is it a reduced price for the preference point? And can it be the $9 one day license? Or does it have to be the $56 annual.

I am a non-resident with one mule deer point. I want to buy another, and my last CO license was in 2011.

Thanks in advance.

DOW customer service guy checked on that for me and said it needed to be the NR annual fishing licenses for $56. If you apply for point for deer, elk and antelope like I do it will save you %50+/- on the preference point fees.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-14 AT 06:59AM (MST)[p]

>Did I understand correctly that if
>I have a 2013 fishing
>license I can apply for
>a preference point at no
>charge? Or is it
>a reduced price for the
>preference point? And can
>it be the $9 one
>day license? Or does
>it have to be the
>$56 annual.
>
>I am a non-resident with one
>mule deer point. I
>want to buy another, and
>my last CO license was
>in 2011.
>

Yes, but has to be the annual fishing ($56). If you did, you would not pay anything for the PP itself. So if you only want to buy a mule deer point, the point ($40) is cheaper than the license. If you want two points, the license is cheaper. It also says the PP fee is waived if you have a "current" annual fishing license, so I assume you could buy one for this year prior to putting in for the draw if you only want PPs and not pay the fee

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-14 AT 01:28PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-14 AT 08:56?AM (MST)

>Did I understand correctly that if
>I have a 2013 fishing
>license I can apply for
>a preference point at no
>charge? Or is it
>a reduced price for the
>preference point? And can
>it be the $9 one
>day license? Or does
>it have to be the
>$56 annual.
>
>I am a non-resident with one
>mule deer point. I
>want to buy another, and
>my last CO license was
>in 2011.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Just put in for a unit you have no chance of drawing with one preference point. And save $40 !!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-14 AT 04:34PM (MST)[p]
>
>
>
>Just put in for a unit
>you have no chance of
>drawing with one preference point.
>And save $40 !!

That doesn't work any more. In the past, as long as you applied for a tag, and not just a preference point, you didn't pay the fee. However now, unless you had a license last year or draw a license this year, you will pay the $40 if you want the point

txhunter58

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-14
>AT 04:34?PM (MST)

>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>Just put in for a unit
>>you have no chance of
>>drawing with one preference point.
>>And save $40 !!
>
>That doesn't work any more.
>In the past, as long
>as you applied for a
>tag, and not just a
>preference point, you didn't pay
>the fee. However now,
>unless you had a license
>last year or draw a
>license this year, you will
>pay the $40 if you
>want the point
>
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

Your right. Looks like that is new this year. I did'nt see that thanks.

Does anyone know if it counts when you had a big game license and you turned it back in for a refund?

Interesting question, suspect you will have to pay the fee

txhunter58

I'm a little annoyed. I put in for years in Arizona what did they do? Make you buy a license with no refund for it. Then I put in for years in Utah, what did they do? make you buy a license. Now Colorado is finding a way to dig in my pocket. At least this should help with the point creep. Who's going want to stack up 20 some years of preference points when you can buy a hunt for the money you would save.

I hear ya! Who would have thought that after 15 or 20 years we wouldn't have drawn a tag yet. What really hurts is the Quality of the hunts are going down while the cost is rising.I have over 50 Mule Deer points in 4 states. I'm beginning to feel that it was all in vain. Im sorry to seem so down but those are the DAMN facts.

If you have 50 deer points in 4 states and cant find a suitable unit to hunt I dont think the points or the fee's are the problem..

I do get out there and hunt. I scout and hunt and guide and scout some more. July through December. I do OTC archery and rifle Deer and Elk and do very well. I have take many good Muleys from 185" to 198". Notice I said good... Now my quest is for a GREAT buck.Yes I agree there is a problem. Is it me? OK Ill tell you guys my hunt choices and if your a True Monster Muley Hunter you will know by the hunt unit numbers what states they are. 13B. 44. 24.and Henry Mts. Please!! tell me what you think the problem is.

Sincerely Jeff R

My take as to where the problem is points the game department. They institute a program, (Preference point system) and when they get several thousand people to buy in and start building points they figure a way to gouge the hunter, (as in this case $40.00) to stick with it. To the guy who say's "just go hunt", most hunters do just go hunt, me included, you don't understand the objective of building points. I want to go on a hunt where I can spot the game and figure out how to put on a stock and not be concerned about how many other hunters are also out there stocking that same animal. I want to every now and then hunt an area that is managed for quality, and hopefully get to do so without that said manager digging into my pockets.

That is why I try to muzzleload hunt almost every year. Limited number of tags and I have never paid a PP fee.

txhunter58

Looking for a unit that requires few or no points. Wanting to find a good buck willing to hunt hard what are some possible units to look at? Also where else besides colorado's state page would have their draw odds? Any info would be great thanks.

Pretty much any unit with a decent success rates has some big-uns out there. Check on the CO statistic page where it shows hunter numbers/huter success and then research and see if it has some roadless areas up to timberline. You need numbers of animals, and terrain where the smartest can get away from the hunters long enough to get big.

txhunter58

Thanks porchdog, its nice to know someone agrees with me.

txhunter; I think you may be doing the right thing with the muzz. hunts. Whats your success been? Does anyone have info to share on unit 55. Thanks

Mostly hunt elk, but success overall has been between 50-60%. As far as unit 55, not sure about its numbers recovery, but it took 8 points for a muzzy tag with 50% hunter success and 10 points for a 3rd season tag with 70% success. Hunterstrailhead rates it as a 7/10 trophy potential. Archery and 2nd season took 3 points

txhunter58

I have a sort of related but off-topic question. And since its Saturday Customer Service is out...

Provision #5 under Preference Points states "Points accumulate until you draw a first choice license..."

Provision #8 states "Second-, third-, fourth-choice, over the counter and leftover hunts don't use or generate points."

I'm reading this to be contradicting. I'm a NR with two mule deer points and would like to go hunting this year without burning points. So, can I put in for no-chance-in-hell hunt for first choice, while putting in for a hunt I will draw second choice, and still accumulate a point?

Thanks for any clarification.

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

>I have a sort of related
>but off-topic question. And since
>its Saturday Customer Service is
>out...
>
>Provision #5 under Preference Points states
>"Points accumulate until you draw
>a first choice license..."
>
>Provision #8 states "Second-, third-, fourth-choice,
>over the counter and leftover
>hunts don't use or generate
>points."
>
>I'm reading this to be contradicting.
> I'm a NR with
>two mule deer points and
>would like to go hunting
>this year without burning points.
>So, can I put in
>for no-chance-in-hell hunt for first
>choice, while putting in for
>a hunt I will draw
>second choice, and still accumulate
>a point?
>
>Thanks for any clarification.
>
>
>The Beast is Dead, Long Live
>the Beast.
>
>-The Nuge

Yes that would work. So long as you find a unit with 2 nod choice tags. I always put in for the PP choice first then draw a second choice. 2nd choice tags are hard to find.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I ran into a question today while applying for points. If buying a fishing license to save money on buying points for more than one species, do you have to wait for the license to come in the mail in order to have the number to provide proof that you own a Colo. hunting/fishing license to avoid the $40 point fee? Or once you buy the license do you get the number in a confirmation email or something to use online when applying for points?

I just don't want to buy the license, not have it show up until after the april 1st deadline, and end up having to pay $40/point. Any help is greatly appreciated!

The CO licensing system is computer-based, so once you purchase the license you should be good. As with most questions though, you are likely to get the best answer from CPW rather than an internet forum. :)

My recommendation just be sure and keep a dated receipt for the fishing license purchase, in case there's an issue later. There's no process or check-box for entering a license number when you do your big game apps. What happens is that in a few months when it's time for CDPW to mail you a refund check, the system will check to see whether you qualify for PP fee exemption or not (held a big game tag last year, drew a tag this year, general hunting or fishing license purchased this year, etc). Like txhunter58 says, the system will know whether you qualify or not.

I know I am in the minority, but I don't mind paying the license fees, etc to apply as a nonresident. My logic is that it is reasonable for us to pay into and support a state's wildlife management programs on a consistent basis if we want to hunt there some day. That 5 to 10 year old big game animal we want to see and have a chance to hunt didn't just appear the year we want to hunt it and draw. It took many years to manage and develop the resource. Plus Colorado and other states increase their Pittman Robertson monies by selling licenses.

That said, here in NM we make NR and Res buy a license but it is refundable if you don't draw. NM still gets credit for the license sale for PR purposes but the applicant only pays in the end if they draw.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom