Colorado Pronghorn hunt....

Hiker

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-07 AT 01:01PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-07 AT 01:00?PM (MST)

Here's the quick version of the hunt.....After Jessica killed her buck, I didn't find a shooter buck, the weather turned to rain and snow, the roads became grease pits and I didn't have the right sized tire chains, so we went home. I talked to my friend Scott and he was heading up the next weekend to hunt so we talked to our friend, Bill and camped with him. Scott and I decided to hunt together for speedgoats. We glassed a few goats but didn't see any shooters so we went over to another area where I saw one big toad from the previous week but he was no where to be found. We headed to Craig for lunch at the Golden Calvey, they have good chow if you're ever in the area. After lunch we went back to see if we could find a shooter. I saw a nice buck on private ground and decided to give him a shot, maybe he'll cross the fence and I could get a crack at him. I crawled and slid to within 511 yards of a smaller buck, that was looking right at me. I laid low for a while until he went back to feeding and then got up and started glassing. I could see a bigger buck behind him but without the providence of God, I had no chance of them coming across the fence and to within a reasonable range of 300 yards or so. After 30 minutes or so, I see the smaller buck headed right towards me. I try not to move but decide I had better get my rifle into position, just in case they cross the fence. Sure enough, the smaller buck crosses the fence 40-50 yards away from and continues right passed me. I wait until he is beyond me before I look back to see if the other one is coming.....sure enough here he comes.....Thank you Lord, I said out loud. He crosses the fence, I'm locked on him with my crosshairs waiting for him to stop.....but he doesn't and keeps walking.....I whistle....he keeps walking, now he's almost behind me.......he ignores my whistles.....so I shoot and he doesn't react.....surely my .300 Win. Mag. found it's mark......but he keeps walking.......I slowly spin around and he finally stops, Boom....with another round and he collaspses. I gather my things up and head over......I look him over, sure enough, both shots were double lungers, all I can figure is the nosler partitions didn't expand. I called Scott on my cell and within a few minutes I see him on the skyline. He comes over, we Thank God for giving us this buck. I gut him out, we load him up and then we head out looking for Scott a buck.

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Here's a couple of photos...

4741ec5f1f246f32.jpg

Hiker

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-07 AT 01:13PM (MST)[p]Scott connected on his buck later that night.

4741ee482a991af4.jpg

4741ed2a23c9a78a.jpg

Hiker

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom