Colorado S65 Ewe Tags

S

Stryker

I see that the DOW issued 10 bighorn sheep ewe tags for S65 (Trinchera Ranch Only) this year for January 7-15, 2012,(9 Resident and 1 Non-resident)...

It does not look like there were any Ram tags issued for S65, nor is the Trinchera Ranch listed under the Ranching for Wildlife Program - so it looks like the DOW and the Ranch may be thinning out the sheep herd for management purposes?

Does anyone have any experience with this hunt? Is it open to the public since the entire Ranch is Private and not a part of the RFW program?

Thanks ~ Stryker

My son drew one of the tags for this year, so I'll find out what it's like. We had been applying for the Chancellor Ranch youth tag, but was always beat out by one kid with more points. Now that property is now longer leased by the DOW. I found some info on the RMBS forum that made this sound like a good hunt (link: http://bighornsheep.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9301069121/m/3381000543).

A also found this, which explains some of the history:

In the late 1980s, 3,000 domestic sheep were removed from the ranch and 34 Rocky Mountain bighorns were transplanted from British Columbia. Now the herd on the ranch numbers more than 300. Over the years, the ranch has allowed the DOW to trap sheep and move them to other parts of the state.

If the herd has grown to 300-400 sheep, I can see the need to take a few ewes. Success the last several years has been between 70-100%. My understanding is that is operates pretty much like an RFW, except that there is a non-res tag. There have historically been 2-3 ram tags every year (they take some monsters out of there), but they don't show up in the application book. They must be only available privately to the ranch - I'm guessing as part of the deal to allow access for the ewe tags and for transplanting.

-Paul.

Paul_S ~

Thanks for the great info. The reason that I am asking is that I also know someone who drew a tag this year but I am not sure they did as much research as you have?

Do you know if the Ranch or DOW will contact the hunters for a mandatory orientation similar to the RFW's to go over access to the ranch, autorized hunting areas, etc..?? I can't imagine that they allow the hunters to just show up and have at it, especially with the new owners...

Stryker

The ranch does harvest rams they are allowed 3 ram tags a year. The current owner archery hunts himself and allows/invites 2 others a year.

Under the RFW agreement the public gets 2 tags. But the tags are only offered every 6 years. The public tags are # 19 and 20 of the total issued. They offered 2 tags in 2008 so they are on tag #s 7,8,9 in 2011 so expect amother 2 tags in 2015.

I know at least 3 people who have hunted ewes and a guy that drew a ram tag in 2008 there and all had good hunts. Check the RMBS forums www.bighornsheep.org for some more info

Sandbrew

Tagless- If you've got a spare $200M the current owner might be interested, seeing as he bought it for a mere $175M in 2007.

SB- That explanation on the ram tags makes sense. Any advice on how to get an "invite"? On second thought, I probably don't hang with the right social circle.

Stryker- I assume that we'll get a packet similar to what RFWs send regarding access, ranch rules, etc., but we haven't gotten it yet.

I will see if I can scrape it together. Sure would be nice to have guaranteed tags and be able to hunt sheep on your own place.

Congrats on the tag and good luck to you and your son.

Good luck on your sheep hunts!

43.jpg

25.jpg

Sheep3.jpg

2.jpg

Have a good one. BB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom