Colorado Success...First Bull with my Bow

Cleanshot

I had the opportunity to draw an elk tag in Colorado this year and had some success so I wanted to share a short video and a couple of pixs of my success. After 3 days of hard hunting, I found a good game trail that led to water. The bulls weren't talking much so I thought my best chance would be to wait for them to come to water. This particular trail had lots of fresh elk sign so I decided to make a ground blind. It was a perfect set up. I set up at about 4pm. Not a lot happened until about 5:30 when a nice sized black bear passed at 25 yards. The bear ended up smelling us and ran up the game trail we were waiting on. At 6:30, I saw an elk about 350 yards up on the hill in a small clearing and could see that he was a legal bull. I thought he might use the trail we were on so we set up and waited. After an hour of waiting, I told my brother that we would wait 15 more minutes. I could hardly control myself from shaking...partly nerves and partly the cold canyon we were sitting in. Just as we were about to leave...7:45, the bull came out of the trees. Check out the link to see how things transpired.
http://www.monstermuleys.net/videoclips/5x5elk.asf

I thought I had made a pretty good shot on the bull although he was still slightly quartering to me. I really think he had winded me and I was afraid he was going to bust. After the shot, I went and found my arrow with blood all over it. However, I was a little worried because I saw some green on the fletches as well.

My brother and I decided to leave and hike back to camp which was a little over 2 miles away. After eating dinner we hiked back in and started our search. We only found 2 drops of blood and searched for about 30 minutes without finding anything. Then we made circles to see if we could locate my bull. About 15 more minutes and I found the trail my bull had taken. I found him piled up under a pine tree but never found any more blood. He ended up about 125 yards from where I shot him. It turned out that my arrow had entered right behind the front should but then deflected and exited in the flank on the opposite side of the bull....hence no blood trail.
We were able to quarter him out and get him back to camp at about midnight. It was a great hunt and very rewarding to get an elk with my bow. Here are some pictures when we found him.

jeffskousen91006-1.jpg

jeffskousen91006-2.jpg

How cool that you got that on video!!!!!!!!!!! You did right by waiting for him to take the extra 4-5 steps up. Congrats on a nice bull. I am really happy that you were able to locate him--enjoy!
a3dhunter

Great patience. I am sure many hunters would have shot when it first stopped. That was some great footage!!!

You have convinced me that I need to take my camcorder on this years hunt.

Great post!

That footage is sweet. Great shot, thanks for sharing. Good bull too!

RockyMtnOyster

A HUGE congratulations!!!
Awesome patience...when he stopped the first time I thought "OH NO, he's gonna shoot at the angle!!!" But you didn't, took a better shot and it worked out for you.
Great video and story!
Thanks for posting!!!

Lien2

The patience you demonstrated waiting for the shot and waiting to track him are commendable. It sure looked like he winded you. Cool video!

Yea, that video is way cool! I thought you were busted right before you shot. Nice job, and thanks for posting!

Steve

Awesome video, I hope I can get some of my muzzy hunt this year. Good shot too, it's weird how the entrance can look perfect and have the arrow end up where it did. Can't argue with those results though.

Andy

that was great, Nice shot and a good looking bull, Looks like you had a great time and hunt.

Great job on a nice clean kill shot! That was a great decision to "hold" off from the risky quartering-to-you shot and let him walk broadside. That is the kind of decision that I like seeing guys take...especially in the height of excitement with your first bull w/a bow!

Great job on your first bull with a bow. I'm going to try and do as well next week in Az. I'll post when I get back. Congrats!

Great video and shooting! COngratulations!!
I missed one sunday,good to see somebody shoots straight.
\Jeff

Jeff - what do you mean you missed one ?

Excellent arrow placement on that angle. Congratulations on your bull.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom