Colorado tag allocations.

It looks like the western slope got hit as bad as most us thought. Tough year for cow hunters or anyone that wants to shoot a deer or antelope in most western units.

All I can say is it is a good thing the Stare was killing a 1000+ the last couple winters in the NW.

Is there anywhere we can see unit by unit, season by season breakdown?
I know they’re meeting May 3rd and May 4th to finalize these recommendations. I hope after that maybe they give us some unit and season numbers but who knows. ?
My guess is you could take the % of cuts and apply it to the numbers from last year for each hunt in each unit and have a fairly accurate idea of what it will look like.

Typically CPW will present their recommendations for tag allocations for each hunt code at their early May Commissioners meeting. Here is a link: (the agenda has not been completed yet).

Once the agenda has been completed (probably a few days before the May 3-4th meeting) look under the Meeting Materials: Chapter W-2 -"Big Game" -2CCR 406.2 (step 1 of 1).

This agenda item will have the CPW recommendations & it is usually approved as presented.

OTC hunts here have been out of control for years. You guys who have been able to enjoy them should consider yourselves lucky.

I’m honestly a little underwhelmed by these “massive” tag cuts. It’s same old same here. I would consider us lucky if this status quo was based on some science.

Last edited:
OTC units/hunts are going to be insane this year, there will be over harvest IMO! Too bad they couldn't implement caps to prevent the madness about to unfold this fall.
I would suspect the private land will be even better than ever this year in the OTC areas. The funny part is I live near Bear's Ears and I couldn't imagine anymore hunting pressure than they were already receiving 2nd/3rd rifle in a normal year. Every turnoff on the roads have multiple camps.

The flattops are a joke unless you have horses or private land for the 2nd/3rd OTC.

In addition to the pressure from 1st rifle a good snow will move them straight onto private until the general rifle seasons are over.

Just my 2 cents and observations in years past.

Lots of increases in deer tags in the problem areas... Example is 54 3rd went from 75 to 85 when it should have gone the other direction

So lets give out over 500 additional doe tags in the NW corner and then wonder why the deer population is below objective after a brutal winter? Make perfect sense ! Par for the course with todays thought processes... or lack of ?‍♂️

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom