Colorado Third Season

I havebeen planning a muzzleoader hunt for deer and elk for 2009,but after what I haveheard ,I may just buy points again next year and wait till 2010 .Let the herd rebuild acouple of years.Thats if we do not have another winter like last year.

Here's my SW co 3rd season buck. since you asked....

491654f3286b57e0.jpg

490a1d7f3dc0b17e.jpg

When I die I'm leaving this world the same way I came in.......Accidentally!

Shot a nice 3x3 buck in unit 71. Saw three other bucks. Spent most of our time on elk and saw elk everyday but could not close the deal.

Calif_Mike

My son and I just got back from unit 42 below Rifle. We saw alot of bucks the first two days including a good 24-26" four-point that my son passed on. After the first two days we had a hard time finding any deer at all. There were roads everywere, but saw very few hunters off thier 4-wheelers, which was good. We met one guy from Grand Juntion named Mike that would dive down into the canyons and hunt hard. I wish I would have gotten his number.
After the snow came the deer headed into the private down lower. We saw more than 300 deer one evening on the private lands. It was torture. My son killed a 2-point in the last hour of the hunt on the west side of Grass Mesa.
We had a great hunt and every local treated us great. We were a little disapointed in the deer numbers and all the roads but I'd hunt there again for sure.

Was the worst deer season I have ever had as far as number of deer seen was, especially bucks. Largest buck seen was a 3X3 after 7 long days of hunting.

Here is my sons last day deer, and it was a tough hunt, the big boys never came out of the high country!!
3017445979_de6bc90e2c.jpg

I hunted unit 3-301 It was the worst hunt ever! Where we would see 200 to 300 deer in one day in years past, we saw 25 on our best day this year.If you hunt this area give it at least 3 years!DOW said 60% die off last winter.I belive 75% die off!I have hunted this area sence 1989 it was very bad!........Jim

Good heavens beartop, i hope your not complaining about that "last day buck"!!

Congratulations, what a gorgeous buck!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Calif_Mike,

What day did you get the buck? Before or after that Lighting strike and fire? Did you find my "card" by your stove?

Saw the evidence of the kill and the both of you gone we figured to town.

Nothing for us at all, never even cut any tracks no matter where we went, but then we went looking for Elk and then still no deer tracks that were fresh, just a bad year for a lot of guys and even the locals were complaining too on the lack of game after the start of the MUzz season.

Was nice meeting you and your dad back there, we left on Sat. Nov. 8th. Bob was able to pick up his Bull from the 2006 season that was mounted at the Taxi where you took your meat to be processed.

Brian

Hunted 38 hard for bulls. Warm weather, and the elk made it tough. They would come out of the deep timber with ten minutes of legal light left and if you weren't positioned to shoot right then you had no chance because the ground was dry and crunchy. Tough terrain as well. Scored on a private land cow two days ago but no 3rd season bull this year.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom