Colorado to launch largest marketing campaign for hunting??

D

derbydog

At the DOW commission meeting yesterday, it was revealed that the DOW has launched the largest marketing campaign for hunting in Colorado. It will be on national cable tv.

Do you think all the changes that have been made in the past to the non residents (i.e. "up to 35%, up to 20%, hybrid draw, unable to draw for ranching for wildlife draw license")drove them away from Colorado hunting?

Will this marketing campaign entice them back to Colorado?

Years ago, guys would just figure on buying an OTC elk tag and go hunting. It was more about the experience than the quest for a trophy. TV shows, magazines..ect have changed the expectations to make most everyone a trophy hunter. Now, it's all about limited entry, private land....The market has changed. CO excels at elk oportunity, but that's not what most nonresidents want anymore. CO has the best combination for trophy and opportunity deer, but you can't sell more and keep the trophy part...

No! it should not be. It is directed to all out of state hunters that may wish to hunt a paticular state. That state being Colorado this time.

RELH

This is great news! Hunting will now be out for everyone to see and it won't be something that is mostly out of sight to the general public. I really like seeing the ads that the DOW puts out on tv here in CO. It lets everyone know that it is the hunters who fork up the money for wildlife not the leftwing jackholes.

About time a state steps up and does this!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

So what are they trying to market? It takes decades to draw the good tags now. Are they trying to push over the counter tags so there are 100 people in every drainage instead of the 50 that are there now. Can't see how this is about improving the hunting experience. Must be about money.

they have a ad in the arizona regs saying if you don't draw look into colorado!

>So what are they trying to
>market? It takes decades to
>draw the good tags now.
>Are they trying to push
>over the counter tags so
>there are 100 people in
>every drainage instead of the
>50 that are there now.
>Can't see how this is
>about improving the hunting experience.
>Must be about money.

I don't see how people keep saying Colorado is so crowded. Most years I have hunted 3rd or 4th rifle in a unit that has OTC 3rd season tags. There are tons of elk there, but after opening day are high, even in the 4th season. This year I killed a small 6 pt. bull during the muzzleloader hunt and never saw another person until I met a bowhunter on the trail on the pack out. There are some very fun elk hunts to be had in Colorado wilderness if a guy puts some serious work into the hunt.

The recent winterkills have been disastrous to the deer numbers. And many have noticed and forwarded this info to others.

The CDOW is funded by license sales.

The CDOW staff needs to sell licenses to fund their salaries, raises, new trucks, and new coffee pots.

Therefore, it's in their best interest to sell tags to unsuspecting sportsmen.

It ain't about "family outdoorsy opportunities".......its alllll about $$$.

>The recent winterkills have been disastrous
>to the deer numbers.
>And many have noticed and
>forwarded this info to others.
>
>
>The CDOW is funded by license
>sales.
>
>The CDOW staff needs to sell
>licenses to fund their salaries,
>raises, new trucks, and new
>coffee pots.
>
>Therefore, it's in their best interest
>to sell tags to unsuspecting
>sportsmen.
>
>It ain't about "family outdoorsy opportunities".......its
>alllll about $$$.

Sad but true.

"The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." ~ Aldo Leopold

With New Mexico limiting the NR chances drawing a tag, I'm sure Colorado will be picking up a lot of those hunters.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

The number of hunters has dropped by about 37k. Of course this means less revenue for the DOW, but there is another funding threat looming. There is a bill in the legislature proposing to divert funds from the DOW. I copied this from another forum:

What HB11-1150 does is divert $5 million per year from the game cash fund of the DOW to the construction fund of the Colorado Water Conservation Board, each year for 10 years. It does not violate Federal law because the Federal Government has no say in how states manage their funds. The Dingel-Johnson and Pittman Robertson acts were passed passed years ago (with strong sportsman support) to put an 11% excise tax on sporting equipment (guns, bows, fishing equipment) to raise funds for wildlife conservation in the states. The money is raised at the Federal level and then returned to the states bases on a formula that relies on the number of hunting and fishing licenses sold within a state. By the way, Senator Johnson, one of the sponsors of the first named act was a Colorado Senator.

Anticipating the possibility of a raid by state legislatures of sportsmen's license fees and the money returned from the excise tax, the bills contain provisions that if there is any diversion of sportsmen's license fees, then the Dingel-Johnson and Pittman Robertson funds would be withheld from that state until all diversions,including interest, were repaid to the game cash fund. Thus the diversion called for in 1150 would not only remove the $5 million per year from the game cash fund but would also result in approximately $21 million per year being lost from withholding of Pittman-Riobertson and Dingel-Johnson funds. Over the course of the 10 years of the bill this would not be just the $50 million diverted, but a total loss to the game cash fund of over a quarter of a billion dollars. Even at the end of the 10 years, the game cash fund would continue to lose the Federal funds until all diversions, plus interest, were repaid. This would be a severe hit on sportsmen's funds.

Thus you see that HB1150 does not violate Federal law, but Federal law does specify consequences for such a diversion.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ads in the New Mexico hunting reg booklet. A lot guys will be changing states once NM is done screwing up their system.

Still, other than chasing small bulls, Colorado does not have much when it comes to trophy elk hunting, unless you have money or 40 years to apply.

OK, OK, you can cap on Colorado all you want. Would you go out and buy a Nissan just because of the ad??? Nor would I.
even if it was the pooping pigeon ad.

My point? Buyer beware. I can't blame them for advertising their product and that doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Anyone expecting more than one top end elk hunt in their life in Colorado is simply dreaming. BUT there are tons of areas all over the state where you can consistently kill elk, year after year. Do I get as excited as if I drew some once in a lifetime tag?? No!! But I'm still hunting. And I'm hunting an area I've hunted before. And I realize the potential for the area.

As far as deer go, where else can you draw a great tag every 3-4 years and have a realistic chance at a 180" or 30" buck?

Myself, Colorado is where I go to hunt anymore. If I draw a great tag in another state, I skip Colorado. Either eat the tag or get the refund. But I can plan year to year when I'll be elk or deer huntin for sure. This year I'm a point short for both elk and deer so Nevada, Wyoming and Utah choices are definately not Preference points. Next year i'll be able to draw either the archery elk tag I hunt or the thrid season deer tag. My other apps will have more PPs options than this year.

Colorado is a great place to live and hunt. If Colorado Wildlife needs to sell more licenses to survive that is a simple task. All they need to do is to change the structure on preferance points. If everyone had to buy a license before they could get a preferance point they would increase the bottom line and just maybe the point creep would go away.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom