Colorado unit 201deer muzzy help

goforbroke

Well, I have been trying to pick up any tag. This week I saw one was available in unit 201. I have to work till 2 on Thursday - but I figured why not try. Lo and behold for the first time I was able to put a tag in my cart!!!! And I purchased it and now I am wondering what I am going to do. ??

I have never stepped foot in the unit. I never thought about that unit as I don't have that many points. I need to remove my scope and sight in my muzzleloader (Utah allows scopes). My online search for information starts now. Wondering if any of you might be able to help me out and share some information. Super excited. Worst case, I am out $1000 for tag and gas, but looking forward to a new place to explore!!

Last edited:
Well your user name fits you perfectly. ? I admire you taking on the challenge on such a short notice. I hope somebody gives you some information to make your Hunt successful.?

Glass, glass & then glass some more !!! Great unit for elk and a few very nice bucks. May be little challenge for ML but well worth it ! Good luck and be sure and let us know how it is going. Love the progress type reports kind makes me feel like I am there with !

Well wife wasn't too happy, so I called to see if I could cancel transaction and they told me no. Kinda good, then I can say I tried to return tag. :) Although now it looks like a Saturday Sunday only - and I don't like to hunt Sundays. O-well. My 15 y.o. son is stoked to go with me and hopefully we will get the smokepole sighted in (It is awesome with scope) and have a fun hunt. Not sure of cell coverage, but I'll update if I can during the hunt. I have searched a bit, seems like mule deer can be anywhere in the unit.

Good luck and make the most of your time! I've never been there or I'd offer what I know, please report back with your experience. Looking forward to hearing about it!

I was just there for a muzzleloader cow elk hunt…my son’s tag. I did not see any big bucks during the hunt. We saw a few smaller 4 points but nothing huge, good luck. I am sure there are a few bug deer there.

Wife is on board and my 15 y.o. Son is coming with me. My muzzloader has a scope with no sights and I shoot parker bullets with sabots. So borrowing an omega from BIL. He hasn’t shot for years, so going to the gun range this afternoon and helping on a church campout this evening. I’ll be headed to the unit early Saturday giving me 6 hours to hunt Saturday and 14 hours Sunday. 11 hours driving for 14 hours of hunting. My wife thinks I am crazy. :)

thanks for the encouragement, seems like big bucks can be seen, but not often. I’ll try to post pics during hint if cell service is available.

Lots of antelope. Everywhere. Pm me and I’ll send you location of biggest one we saw, but probably only 77”. Lots of 70”-75”.
Saw a 360 bull and lots of other elk. Found a few moose. Made a mistake and went to the lower fields at first light. Only found 4 deer, but lots of elk. By the time we made it back up top the wind was bad and the deer had bedded. Only 7 bucks today, the most mature being a 3xspike. Biggest of the day was not quite 150” 4 point. Wind was bad. Son forgot homework. So we bailed early and enjoyed some tag soup

I probably won’t buy a tag if I only can hunt in a new unit for 1 1/2 days in the future. But still had a good time. Thanks for the well wishes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom