colorado unit 551

B

buckrub10

colorado unit 551

I drew a mid nov tag for deer , any tips thanks buckrub10

RE: colorado unit 551

from what i have heard if you drew the 3rd or 4th season tag there is good chance for a 180 plus buck so hold tight . be patient

You've got a good unit and the 3rd and 4th rifle seasons should be killer. You've got OTC elk tag hunter to deal with. You musta burned some decent points to get that tag - something like 5 to 10 points? Depends on whether it was 3rd or 4th season.

Looks like it's gonna start snowing a bit this week in the Gunny basin. Yahoo!!!!

Hold out for a Big 'Un and post pics here. I'll try to kick out some little ones from Unit 67 (right next door) when I'm there for 2nd rifle.

You've got all the neccessary maps and a GPS, right?

I've got some Unit specific info at home that I'll PM to you.

<<MM>>

Buckrub ~ Just follow-up to see how your hunt in 551 went? I was there as well and killed a buck opening morning.. I talked to alot of hunters who were having a hard time finding anything worth looking at, due to the hot and dry weather. Who would have ever thought it would be 40 degrees at 5 a.m. opening morning 11/14/07 in Gunnison Colorado!!

Sorry for the poor picture quality, I used one of those throw away cameras that I carry in my pack.. Also, looking up into the sun, probably is not the best idea either.

However, the Gunnison Basin 4th season deer hunt in unit 551 was pretty tough this year due to the dry conditions and 60 + degree weather we had.. This is a quality unit, but you really have to pray for the early snows in the high county to move the deer down into this particular unit along Hwy 50. It's unlike unit 54 & 55, where there is access to alot of high county areas, that you can hunt when the weather has not moved the deer down into the sage flats.

Fortunately, I arrived in Gunnison on Sunday and spent three days scouting a couple of areas we had looked at during the summer, I located a couple of local deer herds feeding in the hay fields between Hwy 50 and Ohio City, and observed that they would work their way back up into the BLM land around 8 am each morning.

To make a long story short I knew we would have alot of company on opening morning, as this area was crawling with vehicles on Tuesday evening. Therefore, I made sure to arrive ahead of pack and hike up and over the rocks to be in position as the deer moved back into the BLM land and where I knew the majoity of other hunters would not go.

After passing on two smaller bucks I decided to take this one as he worked his way up into the rocks with six does. Certainly not the biggest buck in the Gunnison Basin, but considering the weather I think it was a good decision. We hunted three more days trying to find a cow elk for my nephews, and even though we saw several deer and small bucks each day, we did not see anything larger then this buck and did not speak or hear of anyone else having any luck with deer or elk..

He was real week in up front, but had good mass..
422535-R1-046-21A_019.jpg

He was a huge bodied older buck, and if only the front forks were as good as the back!!
Take a look at the high county to the North, that unit 55 and not a drop of snow on Fosil Ridge, and it was November 14th.
422535-R1-034-15A_013.jpg

And, thank god for the cart.. It still took all day to get him back around the long way to the truck.. no chance of going back up and over..
422535-R1-042-19A_017.jpg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom