Colorado Unit 62 Mule Deer

Trophy_Taker

I'm sitting here in Montrose, CO after a day of hunting. I figured I had prepared fairly well for the hunt but the information I had gathered was mainly on the forest service land. Snow depths are a foot plus once you hit the Uncomphgre National Forest land. I could sure use some help on where to look for bucks given the snow that has fallen in the upper elevations. Today we checked 25 Mesa Road, Escalante Canyon, and a portion of HWY 90. We only saw a handful of deer after being out all day.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-09 AT 10:07PM (MST)[p]Escalante Canyon, was pretty good back in the early 80's, did yah get way back in the nasty stuff?....

GET OFF THE ROAD!!!!! 62 IS A BETTER ELK UNIT THAN IT IS A DEER UNIT. ALL THE BUCKS ARE ON PRIVATE BY NOW.

Head toward the Grand Junction side of the unit. They did not get near the snow we got on this side. You should be able to hunt high over there.

The BLM land is really spotty southwest of Montrose. Do deer on the unit only spend the winter on the private property southwest of Montrose? Are there any areas worth checking out northwest of Delta on the BLM in the desert country? Will any deer still be in the National Forest land, is it worth fighting sloppy roads to get in there? Thanks for any help!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom