Colorado Unit 65

AspenAdventures

Very Active Member
OK guys. Just got back from unit 65. I have the early high country hunt with a rifle that starts on September 14.

I traveled probably 40 miles in the back country total this week. I checked out areas by a Wetterhorn. Matterhorn. Sniffles. And a bunch of other big canyons. Glassed early mornings and evenings. Started to think I was just missing the deer but I was spotting elk sometimes up to 4 miles away. I have a great spotting scope that goes to 60 power. Started early and looked till dark.

I finally found a few good bucks. But they are right on the Ridgetop separating my unit from another unit. And they like to spend most of their time in the other unit. I have a few questions I'm hoping the boys here can help me with. I have been on here for years helping others. I would appreciate some information or just your opinions.

Are there good bucks in this unit? I found two that will go 190 but like I said they are on the border.

Where are all the deer? The population must be very low.

Am I trying to hard to get into the back country. Maybe people take bucks right in Yankee boy Canyon on the road.

I am looking all the way to the top at 13,500 feet. My tag requires me to hunt above 11,000 feet. It is really tough but I am loving it. I will post some pictures here. Amazing country.

I tried to come turn in my tag after looking around but they have a rule now that you need to do it 30 days before your hunt. I missed it by six days. I have been waiting for 12 years for this hunt. Any help would be appreciated.

I promise a good write up with pictures. :) Come on guys ...thanks in advance!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-19 AT 10:47PM (MST)[p]you found a 190 buck in your unit and are still looking for help???
You're rich.....go sleep on him.....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

If I was paying attention thats 2 tags you tried to turn back so far this year. Is that normal? Im pushing 60 and never done it before. Wondering what the strategy here is.

Bluehair
Splitting my time time between the winter and summer range......
May you live long enough to cash in those preference points. Amen

That's a lot of points spent and not knowing the 30-day rule that has been in place for a couple of years really stinks as well as the start date of the 14th. I wish you luck for sure, but don't have much specific advice other than the muzzleloader units in the neighboring units open the same day, September 14th. If those bucks are on the other side and are being hunted opening morning, they could easily get pushed back into your basin. I would be sitting on the most likely saddle/escape route ready to shoot.

That 11,000 foot elevation rule is pretty crazy as well and could limit you if bucks go down into the trees after shedding. Who has to be above 11,000 feet....you or the deer or both?

I agree I should have known about the 30 day rule. Agreed. But that is over and done now. Nothing I can do about that now.

As far as turning in the tag...yes I did turn in my Late Season San Juan Elk tag this year. :) I know. But here ya go, since ya asked.....I want to hunt the rut. I put in for the wrong tag....and I have 24 points so I will pull the correct tag next year. So, no big on that one.

As far as this tag goes...turning it in would not have been easy. But I am patient and this tag was supposed to be the tag I take a 190+ buck with. So, I was hoping for much better bucks. But, I will take what I have now and run with it. Each trip to Colorado costs me $1000 or so in gas and wear and tear at 500 miles each way and about $0.90 per mile for gas and misc.....this last trip I ripped off tread from my tires going up a crazy steep hill with the f350 and pulling a horse trailer. :) Those granolas sleeping at a trailhead had a nice surprise. Us western dudes take horse trailers into places they think they can barely get with a 4wd crossover. LOL....Anyway....yes....I am invested and doing my homework.

Yes, I need to stay above 11,000 feet to hunt the deer and the deer also need to be above 11,000. I thought it was crazy too but these friggin mountains are so high that 11k is not an issue. I thought it would be but it isn't. On one of the trailheads, I park my truck at 11k in the forest. The trees keep going to about 11800. So, there is plenty of room for them to move down once they rub off. These bucks hang at 12k to 13k.

Two canyons I tried to access were extremely steep on both sides. There are still avalanche debris fields in many of the canyons including these two. These two canyons still had ice and snow stacked 100+ feet deep going wall to wall and the river was coming out of a cave. There are spruces in the debris as big as any in the forests of Colorado. That means, in 100+ years these trees had not been in an avalanche but last year was different. Pretty amazing country and crazy snow year this last year.

The really high stuff is in full bloom and it is as if Spring has just come. Although, while there we were already snowed on about 1/2". Of course, it melted off quickly though. But, yeah guys, it is crazy hunting above 11k for your entire hunt.

I am in St George UT so I was worried about elevation sickness for me and my horses but we all did great.

I know 190 bucks running around should get me excited but when they are literally on the border....and prefer to spend time in the other unit....it gets ya a little nervous. And, the archery and muzz guys are coming to push a little as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate any you have. Hope to come home with a decent buck. Mostly seeing 4x3 bucks from 20" to 24". Only 12 bucks or so after looking over some really big canyons.

Anyway.....thanks for the feedback guys.

I just got back from scouting some 11k to 12.5k feet country in a unit in Colorado and there are not deer everywhere. Country I thought for sure would hold bucks, nothing. Nothing!! I believe the elk have something to do with that.

I guess at this point, not being able to return the tag, you better put in more scouting time. Two 190 bucks sound amazing. Bucks like that are very rare, even in tough to draw places. But them being where they are could be a problem. Only you'd know based on having been there what the likelihood is that they'll be in your unit or not in a couple weeks.

$1,000 for a scouting trip is a lot. My scouting trip cost me about $150 in gas and food from SLC. No horse or expensive truck for me though.

Get back over for another few days and find one.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

I warned someone off this hunt before the draw deadline this year (on here) for a good reason. The hunt is too late to be as good as the points it takes, the top end bucks have been taken off the high country deer by popularity with this hunt and others, and the buck ratio is down almost 15 bucks:100 does in the last couple years. This unit is hurting bad.

Don?t over think it, go and hunt it and enjoy it. Those bucks will still be in there summer routine. Hunt those two
Bucks and wait for them to be on your side.

Typically notellum creek and haftakillya basin are good bets for a 200 incher. Honestly if I had proclaimed 190 incher found I'd be spending more time trying to figure out a way to kill him versus asking for key board warrior help on forums but that's just me...

Coloradoboy

>Typically notellum creek and haftakillya basin
>are good bets for a
>200 incher. Honestly if I
>had proclaimed 190 incher found
>I'd be spending more time
>trying to figure out a
>way to kill him versus
>asking for key board warrior
>help on forums but that's
>just me...
>
>
>Coloradoboy

Cute,

Maybe I am doing both :)

Perhaps you aren't to smart.

That's the way it sounds. But maybe that's just me

Coloradoboy,

You yourself told me this unit was junk.

I have ridden quite a few miles to try to figure it out. Horseback. Hiked over peaks that are over 13,000 feet tall. Endured hail storms. Blown through a set of tires on my truck. Push my horse to its limit. Spotted animals miles away with a $3000 spotting scope. Spent over a week in the back country.

Now I am headed back there to do it again. Then I am going to hunt for a week.

If you have any ideas on how I could up my game go ahead and spit it out. I think I'm doing more than most guys. In fact I'm doing more than almost everybody in the unit other than the outfitters.

By the time I am finished with the hunt I will have put 3000 miles on my truck. Probably 80 miles on the horse. And likely over 20 miles on foot. If you can't get a buck in that mileage then the unit stinks.

That's why I was going to turn in the tag. I have come to the conclusion that the unit does stink.

I have been down the bucks. I can not control where they eat. However I may choose to hike over and push them into my unit. But I am not going to do that until the day I am ready to shoot them.

Good luck on your hunts

LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-19 AT 07:51AM (MST)[p]Sounds like you need a participation trophy for all your hard work, I think a 3500 dollar spotter would be the real difference maker ? if you've been hitting it that hard there's probably not a soul on this site than can tell you more than you already know as to what's out there and if they do know of a giant they probably aren't spilling the beans. You?re honestly doing things right, covering country, and glassing every nook and cranny. Just go enjoy the hunt and don't stress yourself out on killing a score. It's Colorado, you always have a chance at a giant.

Coloradoboy

Good looking country, I hunted 65 3rd season over ten yrs ago so I'm of no help...

Keep pounding it and enjoy the ride!

Curious to know, I had a situation years ago. Buck was 600 yards across state line, I was on public, buck on public, buddy suggested he go around and try to drive him accords. Didn?t give it much thought and didn't try it, but would that been legal?

+1 to coloradoboy

Ain?t it a bi&@h to do all that work and not find a deer
Then some newbie guy shows up for the opener smashes... ?saw him off the 4 wheeler? he says...
I think to myself...you ?#%#^*#?
I wish hunting was like athletics the harder you work the better the end results
Unfortunately tires pony rides and miles don't mean #%#%
to a big ol muley go figure

Best of luck

Yep, ever notice you have never seen a "deer hunting tournament" similar to a "bass fishing tournament"? Hunting is mostly luck either good or bad.

Got a buck. Just got back from Wyoming H. Need to download the pics. Took a decent buck. Great area. There was a guy on here that sent me a PM that changed everything. This site works when we have good guys helping each other. Thanks for the help guys. This hunt was better and more successful because of one of the guys on here. More info and pics to come after I unpack and then repack for the Utah Gen Deer Muzz on Monday with my son. :) Gotta love September.

Guys name was MrDoe. Thanks man! You changed our hunt for the better. Really appreciate you reaching out. I rode a lot of miles on a horse and hiked quite a few as well. Never could get a good buck in my binos. A tip from MrDoe to check a canyon really helped. Good guy. Thanks again.

More coming soon on this story.

>Guys name was MrDoe. Thanks man!
> You changed our
>hunt for the better.
> Really appreciate you reaching
>out. I rode
>a lot of miles on
>a horse and hiked quite
>a few as well.
>Never could get a good
>buck in my binos.
>A tip from MrDoe to
>check a canyon really helped.
> Good guy.
>Thanks again.
>
>More coming soon on this story.
>

that is awesome

Way to hunt hard and get it done! Glad I could help and thanks for the intel on my tag as well.

What a great thread. Dying to see the final picture. But great collaboration!

Sounds like you are a bad ass hunter. The guy willing to go in as deep into the unit as you with livestock living out of state.....bad to the bone in my book.

Sounds like Some people didn't like people like REDDOG turning their Tags back in seconds before season started!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I am finally home and ready to upload. At the office now so will load later.

I have had a fall to remember.....

scouting colorado
scouting utah
hunting colorado deer
hunting wyoming deer
hunting utah deer muzz
hunting idaho deer
hunting utah deer rifle

SHEESH! Best year ever in terms of time afield. I am leaving again tomorrow for the weekend hunt then I am finished...wife to bahamas...then back for good to hammer out some more time at the office till next season.

Mr Doe....cool guy...thanks for everything. See ya guys tonight with a quick upload of info. Story to come.....literally catching up on 7 weeks of work right now...thanks for your patience....

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-19 AT 09:39AM (MST)[p]ABOVE 11,000 FEET

So this was a tough hunt. I should say upfront. I would not put in for this tag again. We rode a lot of miles up and down the Cimmaron Creeks. Middle, West, East, and the surrounding areas. I looked at a few other spots but didn't think they looked as good. Mt Sneffles did look decent but the area was extremely rocky and didn't look to me like each canyon had enough area to hold a good buck.

The tag said "ONLY ABOVE 11,000 FEET"....so anywhere from 11k to 15k. Whew....thats high. The oxygen levels drop off like a rock at 12k. Horses' veins literally start showing more profusely at 12k. You can't really catch your breath at 13....even on flat ground. But, it was amazingly beautiful :)

24492img03351.jpg

We found a remote canyon during our scouting and did find a bachelor herd of bucks, 7 total, two scoring over 180, and one exceeding the 30-inch mark....pushing what we figured was 33ish...he was a big guy.

They fed and stayed in unit 66, just over the border of my unit, 65, each and every day. They would feed in 66 by about 30 yards...then go up the hill towards my unit missing it by about 20 yards...then bed 300 yards down the hill in unit 66.

Opening morning I was hoping they would be on the face of the peak that was in my unit. I parked and hiked through unit 66. Just as I was nearing the top....I saw some bucks...I was still in 66...they were just 50 feet into 66....I had a 65 tag. I sat down, put the bucks in my scope. 220 yards...I am good to 600 yards. So, pull the trigger or not? Decided not. I am not in 65....the buck is not in 65. Can't do it. I know it is only 50 feet but I don't want that on my mind for the rest of my life every time I look at that buck. Found the 30-inch buck...put him in my scope one more time. He stood broadside for a minute or more. I rested the gun. Safety was off....all I had to do was touch the trigger. But I let him go. And the other 6 bucks as well.

I bailed...went down the mountain. I am an LDS guy...went to church in Gunnison...while sitting in the chapel...messaged a guy...MR Doe on Monstermuleys...he said he may be able to help. He mentioned an area that was about 10 miles long to look on a ridge or area. So, I decided I would...I had looked at that exact area on GEarth and OnX and thought it looked good but wasnt sure. Well, his words of encouragement changed everything.

The next day we woke early and rode into the area. Right away we found a great buck.....with 7 or 8 bucks all in the same area. There was a strong 3 point genetic going on. Over the next two days I would look over about 20 bucks with half of them being 3 points. But, we were finally seeing bucks close to shooting caliber.

9392imge0228.jpg

The country was the most beautiful amazing fantastic place I have hunted in the US. I cant imagine it gets any better anywhere in the world. I have never seen country more condusive or ideal for big bucks. But, they just weren't there. The winters are tough and the state harvests a lot of them.

44450img0268.jpg

I passed on a tall buck on the first night. I saw a 24" 4 point, heavy, tall, good forks....but passed on him too. I thought 12 years....should be seeing something bigger!

The next morning I woke....to hail. It was cold and coming down. Walked toward a new basin to the left of the basin I had looked in last night. But, as we approached...hailed even harder. Looked up the ridge at my hunting partner...he motioned he was headed back to camp. I eagerly agreed and headed back towards camp. Almost back. Hail stops. We talk....still only 8am lets get back to that basin...we head over there again...25 minutes or so later I drop to my knees and start getting out the spotter. Does, doe, doe, doe, doe, doe....buck tall heavy 3 point :) then...a nicer bucks steps out.... tallish...wider...heavier.... 3point! Man!? I decide to push around the hill 20 feet further...it pressures the does...they go running up a slope. And...a big tall buck steps out...runs into the ravine in front of me. One look and I can tell he is the largest buck I have seen in 12 days...and after 12 years I am not going home empty handed...time to shoot.

Gun, bipod out....no time to range...300 ish...steady...find the shoulder...squeeze....

smack...studder step..........load another round...dont want a lose buck on this slope......squeeze...slam...

done.

After waiting 12 years it is over. Now just to walk across the ravine and see what I shot. I knew he was tall and pretty wide...I knew he had something different and I thought I saw a cheater....all of it was correct.

A 3 point... 3 x 5. Sorta...crazy looking buck. But, I am happy with him. He was the biggest buck we had seen in 12 days. I was beginning to miss the kiddo at home and my wife was being so sweet and patient about supporting whatever I wanted. Time to get back to my business and family.

10046imge0728.jpg

84540imge02221.jpg

The hunt was fun, we covered over 50 miles...maybe over 100. It was a lot. Mr. Doe, and his willingness to reach out...changed our hunt for the better. I really appreciate that. I very much appreciate it. Thank you :)

Also, thanks to all of you who have helped here and there over the years. I have grown up with this website. I visit this site more than any other. I have been checking here for stories like this for over 10 years. Maybe over 15....Brian runs a great site and is one of us. That makes it better. He loves bucks more than me...maybe :)

Not lastly, thaks to the guy that that was with me. Great friend. He is my uncle but in many ways feels more like a brother. We have now hunted the high country together off and on for over 25 years. Thats a good run...and we arent done yet.

And my wife. Who covered the biz while I was gone....and made sure things at home went perfect. Thanks babe.

And to Colorado.....get with it. When you have hard winters you need to cut tags. The outfitter up there...Action Adventures...he couldnt find a good buck for his clients. It was tough. He has gone down to just one hunter for deer in his camp and we watched 4 hunters for elk...go home empty handed from his camp. This country should hold AMAZING bucks...and did...just look at his past pics. They were there...and can be again. But! The state needs to manage the deer herd...and have a 3 point only hunt for a year or two. Sheeesh :) Anyway...I wont be back for this unit. Good luck with it.

If anyone ever needs some advice on an area I hunt....I will give you what I can. If I still hunt there I wont give out everything. But, in unit 65...if you need some advice. Ask Mr Doe first...then I may be of some help. And be ready to hike.

The country will change you. Dont expect the biggest buck...but do expect one of the biggest most rugged adventures you can have on this planet....above 11,000 feet

I had some better pics but they are too big...or lots of blood...he was shot in the lungs and had bubbles of blood coming out....ya know.

But, I have a vid or two and will load those in the future...just to keep you guys wondering and checking the story....lol....naa...just cause I am short on time...I will get them configured and loaded soon.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom