Colorado Unit 74 Mule Deer, 2nd season

TxMulie

Hello guys, a newbie here.

A buddy and I drew mulie tags for the 2nd season this year. It is both of our's first trip to ever hunt in Colorado. I am no stranger to the mulies, but all of my previous experience has been either the far west Texas mulies or up in the plains of the Texas Panhandle. This trip is sort of a bucket list hunt for both of us, 28 years in the making. Neither of us has ever had the opportunity to hunt outside of Texas, and we are trying to make the best of it that we can.

Ive been studying this unit pretty hard through just about every resource available through the internet. As of right now, i do feel like i have a general feel for the unit. But i kinda have a feeling that it may all go out the window once i see the vastness of this place.

We are planning to backpack in a day or 2 before the season starts, and get as much scouting in as we can in that short time. We plan on hiking in a good ways in an attempt to get away from other hunters as much as we can, and plan to hunt for about 6 days in the backcountry. We plan on being in as good a shape as we can possibly in, and we have already started preparing for it.

Im pretty sure this will be a combo hunt for us. We drew the mulie tags, but i will likely get an OTC elk tag as well.

I am hoping i can gain some knowledge through you guys about our unit. I know unit 74 is a very rugged, and mostly higher elevation unit, consisting of just about all public land. What i dont have a great deal of understanding of is the patterns that the elk and deer have.

Hunting outside of Texas is new to me, but i do know the basic rule that when it starts to snow and get colder, the animals will migrate to lower elevations. But is there really anyway to differentiate "elk country" from "mulie country", so to say? I know they might be intermingled to a certain extent, but is there anything that you might look for when targeting each species? Are the deer in places where the elk arent, and vice versa?

Being more specific, is there any general areas of this unit, or elevations, that tend to hold each species? I realize that this has a great deal to do with the weather, and each animal probably has their own corridor when traveling from high to lower. But what i do know about this particular subject is very minimal, any tips or pointers, not matter how big or small, would be very beneficial to me.

Not looking for any secrets here by any means, just maybe a push in the right direction. We were considering using the Hermosa Trail Head and hiking north toward the central part of the unit, East of Hermosa Creek, and perhaps setting up camp several miles in. Also, I see on Google Earth, there is another dirt road on the West side of Hermosa Creek (a GOOD ways west) that runs a much farther North into the unit, and maintains a pretty high elevation the whole way in. Would this be a good way to enter the backcountry? Or is it even possible to use this road? I do apologize, I never could determine the name of this road, but it does seem to be a pretty prominent road on the Google Earth imagery.

Lastly, if anyone has any personal experiences, and/or pics of a successful hunt within this unit, I'd love to hear or see it!

Thanks

first step is to get a deer migration map of the unit and a SD card for the GPS showing public/private boundaries. Formulate a gameplan based on staging areas along those migration routes.

Hello TxMulie,

Congratulations on your tags. You and I are in the same boat, and sounds like looking at a similar approach. I have the earlier Muzzy tag however.

I sent you a PM.

Good luck

My buddy and I have the same 2nd rifle 74 tags. We are going to be new to the unit as well. I would love some info on the unit.

I know absolutely nothing about hunting in the unit but I can give a tip on a pretty decent looking access point. About 6 miles or so north of Rico off the 145 is a road leading east into the unit. The road is right at a campground but leads past it heading up into some pretty nice looking high country. There are several other roads up there. Good luck.

Rico is in unit 71. Are you saying there is a road going up and over the top into unit 74?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Yes, about 5-6 miles north of Rico a road heads east and will end up north or Durango near the ski area. The road junction is off the 145 is right next to a small campground.

What kind of temperatures should we expect above 8000' in 74 during 2nd rifle? What is the likelihood of storms?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-12 AT 11:11AM (MST)[p]Bolam Pass road, also called Hermosa Park road. Take Forest Road 578 from hwy 145, you'll end up at hwy 550 near Purgatory ski area, if you don't don't get lost.

>Rico is in unit 71.
>Are you saying there is
>a road going up and
>over the top into unit
>74?
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

But if hunting in 74 and staying in that area, just seems to make more sense to come in from the east?

That said, I have been all over that country (been over black bear, Ophir, and Imogene), but never over that pass. Sounds like I need to check it out!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>But if hunting in 74 and
>staying in that area, just
>seems to make more sense
>to come in from the
>east?
>
>That said, I have been all
>over that country (been over
>black bear, Ophir, and Imogene),
>but never over that pass.
> Sounds like I need
>to check it out!
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

It is quite a pretty area. I have never gone all the way through, but the forest service has done a lot of habitat improvements for trout, with some really pretty geology along the river there. From what I undestand, there are 2 ways to access the road through to Purgatory. One is a few miles south of Rico, and one is a few miles north. Both I'm sure are picturesque drives!

74 is great for "roadless" and you can definitely get away from crowds if you are in shape. Beware though there is some rugged draws and canyons from upper hermosa to the lower part but everything drains into the Hermosa Canyon.
I've seen some okay bucks taken in Relay Creek but you'll see more hunters here.
Junction Creek area holds some good bucks up high. Weather is hit and miss, just be prepared, it can be 60 degrees one day and a foot of snow the next.
You won't see "alot" of deer but I suppose if you can get some good scouting in maybe you can locate a buck or two. I've heard stories from old timers of some monsters up near lower hermos and I believe them as I lived in the lower hermosa for a few years and each year some monsters came out behind our place during the rut.
I always saw more deer in the lower hermosa canyon during hunting seasons but they are high too. The nice thing is you have a good amount of great country to hunt. From 6800 feet up to and over 10,000 if you want.
Good luck!

100_1200.jpg

near grey sill mines in unit 74-gives you an idea of what you are looking at.

thinking of going over counter bull elk in this area-71-74.

plz email with any elk spots you thnk may be good and camping area for 5th wheel.

experienced with bow and rifle hunts, but not in this area.

good luck on your deer quest!

trophyfever

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom