Colorado Unit 751

alsatian

Has anyone hunted Elk in Colorado Unit 751? This is a narrow rectangle oriented on a north-south axis north of Vallicito Reservoir east of Durango. Unit 751 appears to be entirely located within the Weminuche Wilderness.

I see that this unit was undersubscribed in 2003 for most rifle seasons. Is this because the unit does not hold Elk during the rifle seasons or because the unit, being in a wilderness area, is difficult to access?

you are correct in that a lot of the unit lies within the wilderness area..If you decide to hunt the rifle seasons espically the 2 & 3rd.(15th of Oct. on) you had better watch the weather and know when it is time to come out.

It has been a while since we have been in the wilderness area down there, but back in 1993 I think it was, had a big snow storm come in and a few did not get out, matter of fact 2 Okie residents died on the mountain we heard, due to stumberness......horse where in belly deep snow...coming out of the high country..that was some of the biggest flakes, fastest laying snow I have ever seen....nature can be your best friend, and your worst enemy. Stay on Top of what the weather is doing.....When it is time to go...GO! or at least get to lower elevation....

the unit in discussion holds elk, although not as good as it used to be before a Magazine article back when in my opinion, but still has decent elk there...

as for access, foot or horses....not to difficult to access, if you have got the equipment or guts....Dwayne

There are lots of elk, they are just hard to get to. I hunted Unit 75 for about ten years, which is one major drainage west of Unit 751. This area is fairly high altitude hunting (+11,000 ft). If you hunt this area in the early seasons, you need to plan on packing in via horses or backpack. Beautiful country. This area also got burned off 2 years ago. Hunting pressure has been light the last two years since some of the roads are still closed. Everything is supposed to open back up this summer.

alsatian,

I hunted this country in the early 80's so my info is a little dated. At that time, the best hunting seemed to be up Vallecito Creek. We used to drop camp about a half mile below the junction of Johnson Creek (I believe that's the name) and Vallecito Creek. All of the hunting was UP. There were both deer and elk in there, but you had to be willing to climb from 1000-2000 from camp to get to them. The horse trails are few and stay in the creek bottoms. Vallecito Creek is narrow all the way up and is steep on both sides, so be in good shape.

Later, we started staying at Vallecito Lake and would go to the top of Middle Mountain and hunt down. There are quite a few meadows on top of Middle. Of course, it was easy for everyone else to get to, also. At that time, you could drive a two track to a place called Tuckerville. This is a good jumping off point for alot of country north of it. Places like Dollar lake, but you would have to horse or backpack into it.

Another real popular place was up Piney Creek. You could get into it by driving all the way around Vallecito lake and taking a little road up the creek a little way. We never hunted up Piney, but it was supposed to be good.

From Vallecito Lake, look just to the west and you will see a place called Freeman Park. Elk were killed there fairly regularly, as well as some of the other areas a little higher on the west side of the lake.

Well, that's how it was in the 80's. That's some real pretty country, especially up high.

Cedarhacker:

Thanks for the information. I took a backpacking trip -- no hunting -- in this are in the early 1980's. We rode the Durango-Silverton train about half-way from Durango to Silverton, getting off at a place called "Elk Creek Siding," I recall. We hiked up Elk creek, crossed the continental divide and came down Hunchback Pass into the Vallecito Creek drainage. This pass was about 12,200 feet, I recall. You're right -- the mountains lifting up from the creek are steep. We went down Vallicito Creek to where Johnson Creek joins, then we followed Johnson Creek up on the North side of Emerson Peak, crossing another high pass at about 12,800 feet to get into the needles mountain area, then down to the railroad where we hitched a ride back down to Durango.

So I'm generally familiar with the area. I understand the conditioning that is needed. I understand much of the gear requirements -- good solid boots that protect your feet from the beating they will get from rocks and provide stability when walking on lots of rocks -- though my visit was in late August instead of early to mid October. I've got good maps and guides for this area. On my trip I stayed on the trails. On a hunting trip I would have to get off the trails and up the sides of those mountains, I suppose.

I will look on my maps for the areas you are talking about. I had notionally planned to camp somewhere near where Johnson Creek joins Vallecito Creek: good to hear that you think this general area is a good base camp location.

I have heard on other sites that non-locals trying to do a self-guided backpacking hunt for Elk in Colorado, what I am trying to do, are headed for a failure. They didn't say this much in so many words, and they weren't trying to be mean, just to deliver a dose of reality. I can't afford a guided hunt, pretty much have to stick with this kind of self-guided, backpacking hunt to afford the hunt. While my plan may feature a low probability of success, if nothing else just getting up into the Weminuche Wilderness along Vallicito Creek will be reward enough. If I bag a cow Elk, so much the better. Sometimes you just have to jump into the water to learn to swim: maybe Elk hunting is similar. One part of this picture is not a matter of a novice -- the camping and backpacking part. I feel confident in my ability to move throught these mountains and find my way without getting lost. Now . . . getting out quick enough when a heavy snowstorm hits, that might be another story. I would tend to err on the side of wanting to get out in a hurry rather than waiting to see what is going to happen.

Thanks for the advice and information.

If you aren't locked in to 751, I would stronly suggest 75. You went through this area on your hiking trip up from the Animas River. The roads in Unit 75 take you right up to the wilderness area, but you are on top, not down in the bottom of river canyons. You have several access points from Missionary Ridge Road. We have hunted way back in using backpacks on do it your self hunts. My group never killed huge elk, but we usually got something. Most of time was personally spent hunting mulies as I was in college and poor and the tags were cheaper. I missed a big 6x6 bull on my first archery hunt though. Its much easier hunting down (although its heck packing your critter up)in my opinion. Where we have hunted, when we killed something too far down in a canyon, we just took off downhill until you hit the roads around Lemon Reservoir.

I am hunting northwest Colorado this year, but will probably go back to 75 in the future when my little boys get old enough to go with me.

75 is usually not too bad, however the road is still closed due to the fire 2 years ago. I just read it MIGHT be opened up again this year. I'm curious to how many people will be up there if they do open it, could be a circus. The link below is an article to some elk that were taken last year on 75. However these guys own a ranch at the base of the mountain and had access to the public forest where others really didn't unless they knew someone. Nice elk though.

http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bin/article_generation.asp?article_path=/outdoors/out031031_2.htm

out031031_2.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom