Colorado unit and point question

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
What would be a good unit to persue for future years? I'm looking for one that can be drawn, maybe every 5 years, and one that a tag could be purchased on the years I don't draw for a reasonable amount. I'd like to really key in on a unit and begin to really learn it. I know there are numerous units out there that fit this criteria, but it's hard for me to key in on one of these without actually having been there to know road access, huntability, etc. This will be rifle hunting. If given the choice, I'd choose a unit in the southern portion since it's closer to my home state and one with plenty of public ground. All help is appreciated...
Cory

I am banking my points to hunt GMU 21 again. I needed three points as a resident to hunt the 2nd rifle season in 2005. I ended up taking a 176 B&C buck and I saw several bucks that would go book when I dropped off my buck at the processor in town (Rangely).

For the "in-between" seasons we hunt GMU 35/36. We can draw that tag with a second choice for the 2nd or 3rd season.

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

>I am banking my points to
>hunt GMU 21 again.
>I needed three points as
>a resident to hunt the
>2nd rifle season in 2005.
> I ended up taking
>a 176 B&C buck and
>I saw several bucks that
>would go book when I
>dropped off my buck at
>the processor in town (Rangely).
>
>
>For the "in-between" seasons we hunt
>GMU 35/36. We can
>draw that tag with a
>second choice for the 2nd
>or 3rd season.
>
>
>
>MSgt, USAF
>1984 to present

What quality of animals do you see in 35/36. Also are there many deer in there after 1st or 2nd season, cause aren't those zones up there in elevation?

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

We have hunted the 2nd season in 35/36/45 for four years now. We have always seen lots of deer there, some up high in the quakies and most of them down low in the sage. (We always just hunt the sage.) The altitude ranges from 6,000 up to around 11,500. Most of the deer we see are down low, but we don't even try up high because of all the elk hunters. In 2004 the guy I hunt with took a 170" 4 pointer on opening morning, and we have always seen shooter bucks every trip. As a bonus, they always have leftover doe tags, so you can have two tags in your pocket if you're just looking for meat. This year we encountered the worst conditions we have seen so far. There was a big snow/thunder/lightning storm the night of opening day and it was difficult to get back to our area on Sunday. There was lots of mud and without chains on all four tires, you were screwed. By Wed & Thurs it was in the 70's and we both got sunburned, but we still plan on going back next year. There is a lot of public land and the access is good. But, there are a lot of hunters out there too.

Some of the areas to try are the western part of unit 35 just north of Gypsum, and also north of Wolcott off Muddy Pass Rd in unit 36. You also get unit 45 as part of your unit, but that is some extremely rugged and vertical country down there and we have never hunted it.

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom