Colorado Wolves

Justice prevails!!!! @Gadjet
IMG_0236.jpeg

My biggest concern is for the Oregon wolves! Isn’t breaking up a pack like destroying a family, this in horrible and inhumane that they would just rip apart a family like this. Isn’t there some study out there that said if you kill or remove part of the pack then they do really poorly and feel sad. 😢 there should be a suit to not break up the Oregon pack. It’s like when Clinton was ripping kids out of their father’s arms at gun point. When will the madness end?!

Nice try ShitStain. I could really care less about this whole thing. I came to the realization long ago that some things are just out of my control.I’ll continue to do what I do. You know, keep on keeping on. You should try it.
So no more drunkin posts about they snuck wolves in here? Damn.

I wonder how CPW can go to Oregon and capture 10 wolves in 2 days and have them back on planes to release on Monday. It’s BS. I had a friend suggest that Oregon already has 10 problem wolves captured to to get rid of to Colorado.

Experimental non-essential populations (10j) are a slippery slope. Especially, when the species home range is hundreds of miles. I see this experiment going badly.

I wonder how CPW can go to Oregon and capture 10 wolves in 2 days and have them back on planes to release on Monday. It’s BS. I had a friend suggest that Oregon already has 10 problem wolves captured to to get rid of to Colorado.
😂😂😂😂😂

Once wolves get up to speed, I don't think Cronic Wasting Disease will be an issue. They won't be able to find enough deer to test.

Amazon is holding the OR problem wolves in a holding facility at one of their distribution centers. CPW ordered them on 2-day PRIME shipping, just in time for christmas. Done. Get with the times guys.

My point, it’s absurd for CPW to make the statement they did. Why the outright lies. Maybe lies for them is easier than the truth, typical for the Colorado political leadership.

Damn, they amazon primed those wolves right into my backyard! Just looked at the article. I spend a lot of time in that area to say the least. That picture was 100% taken at the old ranch up above radium at the radium state wildlife area blacktail unit, County HWY 11

Last edited:
Is there a map somewhere that can show me exactly where they were released?
Been confirmed radium state wildlife area. I believe it was the black tail unit. Internet sleuths were on it quick

Best guess at coordinates: 39.97867, -106.54554
Radium State Wildlife Area - Blacktail Unit

Screenshot 2023-12-19 122254.png

Screenshot 2023-12-19 122838.png

Screenshot 2023-12-19 122636.png

There's an old Led Zepplin song that goes "Crying won't help you now, praying won't do you no good". I think it's time to move on. :)

Been confirmed radium state wildlife area. I believe it was the black tail unit. Internet sleuths were on it quick

Best guess at coordinates: 39.97867, -106.54554
Radium State Wildlife Area - Blacktail Unit

Screenshot 2023-12-19 122254.png

Screenshot 2023-12-19 122838.png

Screenshot 2023-12-19 122636.png

Upon further review and some other intel, may more likely have been on the other side of the CO river/tough road in the sheephorn unit (GMU361) of the radium SWA, that location makes much more sense when combine with the release map, a release on the unit 15 side and they would head towards gore pass most likely, which is out of the desired area. THeyre hoping they go south towards the eagles nest into GMU 361/36 wilderness would be my guess

Going to chime in here, life long native resident of Idaho, I hunted prior to 1995 when wolves were reintroduced and after in central wilderness units in Idaho. Have wolves had an impact, no doubt, did it completely destroy Idaho's deer and elk populations, no! My Family was on the "they will eat every living deer/elk bandwagon for years", they have not. We used to see a fair amount of wolf tracks in the woods, now days it's pretty rare to see them. The units I hunt had a really bad winter in 07/08, alot of the deer/elk died that winter, and the wolves were blamed for the lack of game, and still are, the numbers still have not recovered from that winter kill. My ex In-Laws were big supporters of the wolf reintroduction, and their interest was not to destroy hunting, it was more from a standpoint that wolves were originally on the landscape and they belong back on it.

Anyways, just my personal experience with it (some of my Family still think it's a Gov't conspiracy to get rid of Hunters, LOL, super funny).

It’s a miracle that idaho and Montana still have any animals alive with all the cwd, wolves and grizzly bears extending their range. Thank goodness for humans to keep the balance in nature.

It’s a miracle that idaho and Montana still have any animals alive with all the cwd, wolves and grizzly bears extending their range. Thank goodness for humans to keep the balance in nature.
Those three things are the least we have to worry about in Montana. It's the humans in charge effing things up. mtmuley

Going to chime in here, life long native resident of Idaho, I hunted prior to 1995 when wolves were reintroduced and after in central wilderness units in Idaho. Have wolves had an impact, no doubt, did it completely destroy Idaho's deer and elk populations, no! My Family was on the "they will eat every living deer/elk bandwagon for years", they have not. We used to see a fair amount of wolf tracks in the woods, now days it's pretty rare to see them. The units I hunt had a really bad winter in 07/08, alot of the deer/elk died that winter, and the wolves were blamed for the lack of game, and still are, the numbers still have not recovered from that winter kill. My ex In-Laws were big supporters of the wolf reintroduction, and their interest was not to destroy hunting, it was more from a standpoint that wolves were originally on the landscape and they belong back on it.

Anyways, just my personal experience with it (some of my Family still think it's a Gov't conspiracy to get rid of Hunters, LOL, super funny).
I admit I’m pretty pissed about the wolf intro into Colorado. It’s a little early to say the sky is falling, but when the governor’s husband comes out and says we are reintroducing wolves so there is no longer a need for humans to hunt I’ll take his word on it. Deep red Idaho had a giant up hill fight to hunt them… they will never be hunted in Co, ever

I admit I’m pretty pissed about the wolf intro into Colorado. It’s a little early to say the sky is falling, but when the governor’s husband comes out and says we are reintroducing wolves so there is no longer a need for humans to hunt I’ll take his word on it. Deep red Idaho had a giant up hill fight to hunt them… they will never be hunted in Co, ever
I can and do appreciate your stance on the issue, and yes it is a very concerning issue. I do not and did not support the reintroduction. Hopefully people on both sides of the issue can find some common ground.

Great post. Do you remember in the late 80's the IDGFD transplanting elk back into some areas of the selway because the numbers were so low. This was before the wolves were reintroduced. Some areas historically are not great elk areas but sadly the wolves become the whipping boy.

WTF man. No love for Wyoming?

When the enough dogs from aspen get eaten then there will be change
Meh it’s like living o mars in a lot of Co. Mr. Lion killed something like 20+ dogs in two months last year in Rollinsville. Guy walking his dog gets jumped by the lion has a pistol and kills it and people are pissed at the dude for killing the lion. Which by the way was a big old healthy male… so much for only old and sick desperate animals prey on pets…

HntHrdr,
Where did you read or hear the statement made by the governor’s “husband”? I would like to find it.
Thanks

HntHrdr,
Where did you read or hear the statement made by the governor’s “husband”? I would like to find it.
Thanks
It was told directly to the owner of RMSG TC, I was speaking with him at his store. He was at one of the stake holder meetings and raised concerns about lack of a plan to manage wolves and what it might do to the hunting industry in Co. to which Marlon replied that once there were enough wolves there would be no need for humans to hunt. Not Bff’s with Mr. Clum but in my dealings with him, his family and business. The guy is super upstanding and doesn’t seem prone to hyperbole

Problem with states like Co is they will never manage the wolf's. They will cut back moose, elk tags from Sportsman to keep the predators in food. The Co ungulate population won't know what hit it.
Adapt or die. Get rid of those non native moose and mt goats anyhow. Good riddance!

It was told directly to the owner of RMSG TC, I was speaking with him at his store. He was at one of the stake holder meetings and raised concerns about lack of a plan to manage wolves and what it might do to the hunting industry in Co. to which Marlon replied that once there were enough wolves there would be no need for humans to hunt. Not Bff’s with Mr. Clum but in my dealings with him, his family and business. The guy is super upstanding and doesn’t seem prone to hyperbole
Hahahaha

I believe the statement was made and that anti hunting and anti guns is at the core of the wolf release in Colorado. The pro wolf advocates have been very careful not say anything that can be used by their opponents.

Great post. Do you remember in the late 80's the IDGFD transplanting elk back into some areas of the selway because the numbers were so low. This was before the wolves were reintroduced. Some areas historically are not great elk areas but sadly the wolves become the whipping boy.
Yeah, you are correct.

We get it… you live in Alaska and hunt around wolves all the time and they are no big deal up there
I'm laughing at the hearsay school yard gossip you're posting.

My only hope is the wolves spread into UT. Give them another predator to blame for their low deer numbers.

Just think how many fat pumpkins will blame wolves next fall for the reason why they didn't kill an elk :D

I'm laughing at the hearsay school yard gossip you're posting.

My only hope is the wolves spread into UT. Give them another predator to blame for their low deer numbers.

Just think how many fat pumpkins will blame wolves next fall for the reason why they didn't kill an elk :D
Eh, don’t consider a first hand account from an eye witness hearsay especially since this isn’t a court of law… it’s the internet, but yes they will spread lots of places I’d guess. Been hunting NoCo for years and have seen tracks never ran into a wolf and hasn’t stopped me from killing elk, but I have wondered if they were responsible for completely shutting down some drainages during the rut, who knows? Guys that kill stuff will continue guys that have excuses will have another one

Eh, don’t consider a first hand account from an eye witness hearsay especially since this isn’t a court of law… it’s the internet, but yes they will spread lots of places I’d guess. Been hunting NoCo for years and have seen tracks never ran into a wolf and hasn’t stopped me from killing elk, but I have wondered if they were responsible for completely shutting down some drainages during the rut, who knows? Guys that kill stuff will continue guys that have excuses will have another one
Agree 💯

You can have all the wolves from Oregon you want, dead or alive.
To say the wolves won't have a big impact is stupid to put it politely. if you want to see long term effects go look at the moose populations around Yellowstone and the elk or two left on the Firehole. that's where they started and that's where the damage is most obvious.

Idaho shoots wolves regularly. until the other states allow that, if they ever do, it's apples and Tuesday so don't use that comparison.

If it were up to me we'd shove butter up the azz of every Birkenstock wearing Subaru driving wolf lover and tie them to a tree for wolf bait. when the wolves are done with them shot the wolves and let the whiskey jacks clean up the mess.

I don't want wolves killing my cattle, or the game herds. "F" you wolf lovers and the E bike you rode in on.

I will bet anybody $10,000 that despite wolves being reintroduced in CO, CO will still have huntable populations of all the same big game species in 2033 as it did in 2023.

I will bet anybody $10,000 that despite wolves being reintroduced in CO, CO will still have huntable populations of all the same big game species in 2033 as it did in 2023.
Not if CPW keeps giving out tags like candy on Halloween to anyone in the country that wants to hunt elk.

I’d agree, it will take some years for negative effects to show up… 10 years is too soon, 20 years will be more telling

I never said I would take that bet... CPW would gladly sell 100 elk tags to anybody that is not a resident of the state to have a chance to kill one of the last 50 bulls left.
"Huntable population" is the vague term that makes it a safe bet for you.

Shoot man, I’m married with a couple kids, best I can do is a 18$ bet and your favorite candy bar/six pack… got an escrow agent for that?
You might want to bump that dollar amount up for when your wife divorces you because big bad wolf kept elk meat off your table

You might want to bump that dollar amount up for when your wife divorces you because big bad wolf kept elk meat off your table
Meh, she will have to pay me child support so her loss… haha 😂 tough life being a trophy husband

Now would be where i try to explain to my daughter that people like Grizz and the other Libtards are ruining this wonderful country. I hope when my daughter is on her own that she can stomach mean tweets and recognize what is and what isn’t good for this country.
Is sickening!

EASY dude!

EASY!:D

You can have all the wolves from Oregon you want, dead or alive.
To say the wolves won't have a big impact is stupid to put it politely. if you want to see long term effects go look at the moose populations around Yellowstone and the elk or two left on the Firehole. that's where they started and that's where the damage is most obvious.

Idaho shoots wolves regularly. until the other states allow that, if they ever do, it's apples and Tuesday so don't use that comparison.

If it were up to me we'd shove butter up the azz of every Birkenstock wearing Subaru driving wolf lover and tie them to a tree for wolf bait. when the wolves are done with them shot the wolves and let the whiskey jacks clean up the mess.

I don't want wolves killing my cattle, or the game herds. "F" you wolf lovers and the E bike you rode in on.

Bwahahaha! Good bet bro! Only dude around here man enough to throw down an escrow account on this ****!

Just because the wolves might not kill everything makes them nothing to worry about? that's like saying 90% income tax is no problem because you still have some money left.

The stupidity of some people will never cease to amaze.
Want to know something wild? Western Europe, human population +200M in a geographic area roughly the size of the Mountain West states, currently supports a wolf population of approximately 20,000, despite being mostly extirpated by the 1960s (in some regions for centuries) with remaining numbers in scattered subpopulations being fewer than 1,000. And you know what? There is still lots of big game hunting for roe/fallow/red deer, mouflon, boar, etc. across Western Europe.

By comparison, there are an estimated ~18k wolves in the US (including ~11k in Alaska, and all the flavors of wolf scattered around). Colorado adding wolves is gonna be fine.

Want to know something wild? Western Europe, human population +200M in a geographic area roughly the size of the Mountain West states, currently supports a wolf population of approximately 20,000, despite being mostly extirpated by the 1960s (in some regions for centuries) with remaining numbers in scattered subpopulations being fewer than 1,000. And you know what? There is still lots of big game hunting for roe/fallow/red deer, mouflon, boar, etc. across Western Europe.

By comparison, there are an estimated ~18k wolves in the US (including ~11k in Alaska, and all the flavors of wolf scattered around). Colorado adding wolves is gonna be fine.
A European wolf and an American wolf are 2 totally different creatures.

How are your good friends Biden and Polis doing on this fine day?

They aren’t exactly coexisting with the tulip farmers in amsterdam.

Not an expert on Western European hunting, but from what I have heard it’s basically hunting on preserves… where you have to be a member and they are heavily managed ( at least Germany) . I think it might be an apples to oranges thing…

They aren’t exactly coexisting with the tulip farmers in amsterdam.

That isn't the claim I made, but here's a fascinating graph showing historical vs relatively current distribution of wolves in Western Europe.
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 10.21.56 AM.png

And here's one that compares the size of Europe to the Lower 48
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 10.33.06 AM.png

Flabbergasting to think of how there are not just huntable populations of big game in Western Europe--there are growing populations of many big game species, despite having ~10x the number of wolves in Western Europe vs the Western US, and despite Western Europe having far less wild land and more than double the humans of the Western US (even including all the Californians still in California)

Not an expert on Western European hunting, but from what I have heard it’s basically hunting on preserves… where you have to be a member and they are heavily managed ( at least Germany) . I think it might be an apples to oranges thing…
There are definitely fundamental differences in landownership. But it might surprise you to know that in many countries of Europe there are opportunities for residents to hunt on government owned land, and there are even draw tags to go for. Most of European hunting is similar to what you get east of the Rockies with access fees paid to landowners, leasing hunting rights, or becoming a member of a hunting club that manages and leases specific properties. It's pretty analogous even to CWMU/Landowner tags or hunting private property in the West. And most of the hunting is unfenced for wild, free ranging big game. None of which makes a difference to how much the wolves there eat, so its more of a comparing fuji apples to honeycrisp apples. Slight differences in appearance, taste, and texture but overall far more similar than they are different.

A European wolf and an American wolf are 2 totally different creatures.
Sure buddy...one is a group of Canis lupus subspecies that live in packs, average ~70-100lbs with occasional outliers, that hunt big game, occasionally kill livestock, and rarely attack humans that live in Europe. The other is a group of Canis lupus subspecies that live in packs, average ~70-100lbs with occasional outliers, that hunt big game, occasionally kill livestock, and rarely attack humans that live in North America. Totes different.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom