Colorado

sniper14

I posted this on the Colorado site but got no responses so I thought I would post it here.

I've got 5 points for deer, elk and antelope in the great state of Colorado. Looking to hunt something next year. Never have shot a bull elk, biggest deer is 150, and antelope I chase in Wyoming every couple years. Any idea on areas that might work to just harvest a descent animal. I could buy a voucher if needed, but I'm not really sure how those work. Any advice would be great especially about vouchers. Thanks and happy hunting

I would check the Colorado draw stats from this year and see what GMU?s you can draw with the points you have that would be a first step

>I posted this on the Colorado
>site but got no responses
>so I thought I would
>post it here.
>
>I've got 5 points for deer,
>elk and antelope in the
>great state of Colorado. Looking
>to hunt something next year.
>Never have shot a bull
>elk, biggest deer is 150,
>and antelope I chase in
>Wyoming every couple years. Any
>idea on areas that might
>work to just harvest a
>descent animal. I could buy
>a voucher if needed, but
>I'm not really sure how
>those work. Any advice would
>be great especially about vouchers.
>Thanks and happy hunting

Lots of information to be had these days. I would subscribe to epic or gohunt and pick their brains If you don't want to do the research yourself

I'm in a similar situation with 6 or 7 deer points, and getting ready to cash them in within a couple of years. I've used the draw reports in the link above, but flipping through all those pages gets cumbersome. Here's what I've found to be much easier.

Call the Colorado DNR and buy a copy of the Colorado Outdoors Draw Report issue. It comes out in late Dec/early Jan, or you can buy the 2019 issue now. It's around $3. I think. Or, just subscribe to the Colorado Outdoors mag for a year and get the 2020 issue.

Once you have the issue, it is very easy to scan the NR column to see tags drawn with 5-6 points, or less. If you understand the codes, you can quickly narrow it down to tags you can draw. When I did this, I was surprised how few it was. From memory, DM001-1R would be Deer, Male, GMU 001, 1st rifle. Second digit F is female, 2R is 2nd rifle. You get the picture.

The other thing is to pay attention to the MM posts. When you see one that mentions a GMU, you can quickly scan the Report issue and see if it is something you could draw. Pay attention to the comments as well. You'll catch on to those that know what they are talking about!

The other thing I've recently learned, tags get turned back in, and you can get them on the re-issue list. You gotta pay attention to when the DNR updates the list because there can be some 20 point tags returned!

I don't have any info on the hunt services mentioned above.

That's where I am. I'm gonna narrow it down to a couple units, then post some questions on here. Hopefully someone will give me some good intel and I'll shoot a monster!

Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom