Coloradoboy... now a Wyoboy

Coloradoboy

Very Active Member
Just took a job up in Powell, I'll be moving up there tuesday. Who wants to break me in guys? I have an uncle up in Meeteetsee and I have done some hunting in the area. Hoping to find some diehard hunting buddies being I might be there a while. Don't worry guys, I'll still be trucking home to hunt my home state from time to time so I'll be glad to share my knowledge of the state I grew up in.

Coloradoboy

Congrats Coloradoboy. If you were going to move from Colorado and had to pick another state, you made a great choose!!!

Wyoming is a great state for hunting as is Colorado. Best of luck and enjoy. You keeping you current cell number or changing it???

You have always been great to help out myself and others. I'll keep in touch.

hey neighbor.. powell isnt to bad of place to live. i like it for being in the middle of the basin...you got mountains both directions... What job did you take up here?

Thanks guys,

Rmanwill my cell number is still the same. As some of you know I spent the summer up in Idaho going to electrical lineman school. I took an apprentice lineman position with Prime Power and Communications. Should be a good deal, 4 day weeks I am amped. Will get the chance to help my aunt and uncle with their 62 elk tags.

Coloradoboy

Also would like to do some hunting myself, Any chance I can get me a general elk tag or whitetail only tags?? Love to fly fish and chase chukars...

Coloradoboy

ColoBoy,
Was there a guy there at the School in Idaho named Alan Drew??

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Good for you WyoBoy....!!

Here is the link for what Leftover tags that might still be available;

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/HUNTING-1000153.aspx

You can look thru the Reduced Price species too.

It takes a year to become a ressy after moving, so any tag would still be under the non-ressy fee.

I will be up your way Nov. 6th---11th wanting to get me a Whitetail buck on my 3rd choice 'F' tag.

Robb

hey coloaradoboy my dad is a foreman at prime power and i use to do line-work there to....

the 121 leftover tag isnt bad. you get the whole month to hunt in novmeber instead of 11 days. lots of farmers are wanting the whitetails gone so you gives you a chance to hunt more land..

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-12 AT 09:55AM (MST)[p]We feel betrayed you leaving Colorado and your exit being the premise for a new rivalry against Wyoming. Hope it works out for you and wish you the best. Just cuz you stepped over the boarder doesn't mean you aren't welcome in the Colorado forum. :)

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

NFH,

Am i stepping into a good company?? I'd love to kill a whitetail.. yet to take one. Mule deer are more my cup of tea though. I'd be more than willing to help someone out in Colorado with deer, elk, sheep, goat, moose, antelope etc.. for some help up there with a deer.

Coloradoboy

I had a blast working there and leanred a lot. i was on the sheridan crew and came home thursday...Monday we would have a 16 hour day and tuesday and Wed were 12-15 hour days and thursday we left at noon to be back in powell by 3.. i doubt they work those long hours anymore but it was good money. There is some good guys that work there.. There was some hard guys to work with but they are gone.. My dad has been there for over 15 years and enjoys contracting out to marathon in meetesee and byron...

Did they say who you will be working with?

Maybe i could help you kill a whitetail.. i could show you some walk-in areas around the area for general season.. area 121 is mostly knocking on doors to find a place to hunt...

Sounds like a good time.. Im not aware of who i'll be working with. I'll be up there tuesday, leaving CO on monday and staying with my uncle in Meeteetsee on Monday night. I'll start out living in Powell with two other apprentices. I'd love all the help I can get.. I'll be bringing my bow along the with my rifles, probably have to rent a uhaul to go back home and get the rest of stuff, most importantly my heads ;)

Coloradoboy

>Do know theres a job in
>Powell going on right now
>so thats where I'll be
>starting out.

you will be working for garland light and power. my mom is the manger/book-keeper in the office there... the job has to be be done by christmas.. you will be on a good crew. the foreman is josh.. he is my age at 25.. real nice kid. he started when i started back in 06....

now is the time to bowhunt for deer. you got till mid oct... the deer are in the corn mode phase. they stay heavy in the corn feilds.... i been watching some deer acorss the river from me in the hay-feild/corn feild. sitting on the edge long enough you will get one.. the farmer lets people rifle hunt but i am not sure on archery. but it doesnt hurt to ask...

Be careful and never hesitate to question something that makes you uncomfortable or does not seem safe. A 25 year old foreman with 6 years of experience would make me nervous. They are still too green to realize how much they really do not know. Experience helps you recognize hazards that younger lineman may overlook. I always tell apprentices never ignore your instincts and intuition. Good luck in a great career.

Hey Coloradoboy, congrats on the new career & the move. My boy is in the current class at NWLC and absolutely loves it! How was your quest to find a job after completing the school? Were you open to going anywhere to apprentice or wanting to stay in the mountain west closer to home. My son would love to land a job in one of the western mountain states but is open and ready to go wherever he needs to to get his apprenticeship done. Hope you find time to hunt lots as you get going in the working world. Any info on your experiences would be greatly appreciated so we know what to expect in the not to distant future. Thanks and congrats.

Coloradoboy,

Congratulations!

But now that you moved to WY, who's going to guide me when I draw my CO GMU #201 Elk tag??? ;-)

GrizlyHunter

Congratulations on your new job. Wyoming is not far from Colorado so it sounds like you have a win win situation.
Best,
Jerry

Looks like I have some questions to address.. pwrlineman, thanks for the advice. But i do not judge a persons judgement and knowledge by their age.Myself as a guide started at a very young,and still young age. I became a head guide at 20. Men three times my age trust their lives to me and depend on my decisions and judgement. I expect the same from my foreman whether hes 26 or 50. He knows more than I.

Buckslayer, good for your son. I loved my time at Nlc! Make sure he gets on that CDL, it is what screws alot of kids. I held off on jobs till the right one came. I wasn't willing to go Texas or something of the nature. Took me a little less than two months to find the right one. Make sure he starts applying ASAP.

Grizzly, you pull that tag ill be there! I might be in Wyoming now but thats still my turf. I will actually be down there the 5th to do an antelope hunt with my little bro.

Coloradoboy

Thanks for the info CB, we appreciate it. Is there quite a bit of work in the mountain states available to get on as an apprentice? My boy would like to go to work in that region if possible as well but will go wherever he needs to in the end. He hopes to have his cdl done in the next week or two. If you need an apprentice hunting partner he is up for that position as well. He is an up and coming hunting fanatic. If it growls,grunts,bugles,barks or quacks he is in. Once again congrats on the new job & good luck to you this hunting season.

OP

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom