Combining Antelope Areas

ICMDEER

Very Active Member
This might get a little long. Some have asked how combining antelope areas can result in increased revenues and more difficult drawing odds. Here's a quick rundown of some facts and one hypothetical situation. (But the hypothetical is reflective of the actual outcome.)

20% of antelope licenses are supposed to go to nonresidents.
40% (of the 20%) to the special licenses, 60% to regular licenses.
75% (of the 20%) to those in the points drawing, 25% to non point drawing.

Ok, so we'll keep this a simple example. We have two antelope areas. (I know 4 are being combined in most instances, but two are simpler.)

Area #1 has 200 licenses. It's near Lusk or Cheyenne - in a high demand situation. Area #2 has 200 licenses, but is in a low demand, more rural place with limited access.

In the past, area #1 has far more license demand than it can handle. Nonresident applications are more than triple the license allocations. Area #2 is the converse. Low demand and licenses are available after the drawing, up to the season opener. Nonresident draw is 100% in the regular drawing in area #2. Residents snap up licenses as leftovers so they'll have a place to hunt, since many of them know landowners and can get some limited access. Nonresidents also buy leftovers, but have a tougher time finding a place to hunt.

Area #1 also has tons of walk-in areas, but they get pounded. Hunters galore and from what I know, Kevlar orange has been recommended. Antelope are there, but soon run to private areas where hunting is limited or not allowed.

Now, we combine the areas. There are still 400 licenses. But because of the high demand in area #1, that license demand "spills over" into area #2. The result is a significant increase in hunter pressure around those already high-pressure walk-in areas and still little hunting and demand in the more rural/remote areas.

Licenses odds go way down in area #2, but are better in area #1. Because of the increased demand for licenses in the combined areas, G&F sells more nonresident licenses. Where the licenses in area #2 were available as leftovers previously, they are now all sold in the drawing, and many are sold as special licenses. None were sold as special licenses in area #2 in the past, because it was not necessary to apply for a special license to draw in that area.

A good example of this occurred in the newly established/combined area 11 last year. Nonresidents bought 176 of 350 total licenses. You don't need a calculator to know that's just over 50% of the total licenses in the area. G&F sells more nonresident licenses, sells more nonresident special licenses. G&F makes more money. That's OK.

My issues are that it creates an unequal distribution of hunters and some areas get pounded, while others have little to no harvest. The G&F folks I've visited with say that the landowners with antelope should sign up as walk-in areas. The landowners I've visited with just don't want that. And the landowners are now mad about all of the road hunters driving through because they can't find an antelope in the walk-in areas, but still want to hunt. But the landowners do want some resident friends, and nonresident friends and clients to be able to draw licenses in their areas, as it was before the areas were combined. Drawing that license is now more difficult.

My real concern is that this change results in diminished or reduced management. G&F just says "Those areas are all private and the landowners control access anyway." To me, that's skirting the G&F responsibility to manage the big game of our state. If that's their thought, why not make all private land antelope hunting in Wyoming a general license? I have always appreciated the quality management of our pronghorn antelope and to me, this is a definite step backwards.

This is happening in 8-12 areas in SE Wyoming right now. I see more downside than I do upside and would hope that folks will speak their peace. I know it's too late in 2014, except for the Commission meeting, and it is likely a done deal. But it does cause heartburn for me.

I also know that the fault-finders will pound away on me. So don't be discouraged if I don't respond. I don't live my life on MM and I'm doing lots of other stuff right now. I'm just posting this to let everyone know the consequences and start some conversations.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-14 AT 11:34AM (MST)[p]I agree with most of that.

The one thing that I would point out in regard to special and regular license fees...that crap was started and promoted by the outfitter lobby.

It seems a bit hypocritical to now use that as a point of contention to combining pronghorn areas.

IMO, there should be ONE fee for all NR hunters and the outfitter lobby should rein themselves in.

I do agree that combining areas will see increased hunter activity in the public areas and also HMA's, WIA's etc. But, its not like those areas arent currently getting hit pretty hard as is.

I think it should also be noted, that the areas in question in SE Wyoming have always had a lot of access issues. Either too much, or too little access.

I'm usually on the side of not changing things up unless there's a damn convincing arguement that it will make things better.

I just dont see the gain in combining units...

The way to improve the pronghorn hunting in SE Wyoming is to fund AccessYes and get landowners on board. If the landowners dont want that, the situation is going to pretty much stay the same, whether its combined units or not.

BTW, the RMEF just gave the WYGF 45K for AccessYes...

You won't get any argument from me on anything you stated. When we had the quick discussion on this a few days ago I was scratching my head on why they would increase areas for an animal that most people have been giving the G&F credit for managing properly in each area instead of like they do deer. Many felt that they should go to that method with deer and now they are doing just the opposite and increasing the area based on this "private landowner" theory. To keep this post short, if there are no cost savings or anything else positive by doing this, then "why fix what ain't broke" in the first place!

Yep . . . And supporting AccessYes is the best thing we can do. Currently there are no more properties being acquired due to budget issues(That was one of the budget cuts), and we still have to maintain the properties we have currently by paying landowners a competitive rate compared to outfitters.

All the tag cuts this year are going to amount to a pretty serious chunk of change the G&F will not get . . .

Thanks for the good thoughts. I agree with TOPGUN; if it aint broke, no need to fix it.

I'm not sure where the outfitter issue arose here, so I don't see the need for that extraneous comment. (Outfitters and landowners are not always our adversaries.) And most landowners I know are willing to work with some people, but won't allow open access for pronghorn. The money received is, in their opinion, not enough to offset the risk associated with the public on their lands. They are most often concerned about cattle and other wildlife, mainly mule deer. It has a lot to do with respect, and past experience.

I visited with one landowner in an area I can't really mention, and he had 3 nice, big mature muley bucks on his place along the county road after the last deer season ended. But the pronghorn season and elk season go longer/later in that area. He later found all three of those bucks dead. One was hit by a truck full of hunters. A 9X7 was apparently wounded from the road, ran off an died. And the third was found near the road, but there was not enough forensic evidence to determine what happened. This guy does not need a little money from Game and Fish, but he sure wants to protect his deer. And his place is big with lots of roads and he just can't cover all of it. He lets locals antelope hunt, but he's concerned about having bigger numbers of hunters in his area.

No need to rehash a bunch of this. I just wanted to try to explain what is happening. I just see it as a step backward in antelope management.

The G&F should remember that this is just a temporary money fix (why else would they do it if not for the money).
As in your example: unit 1 will be over-crowded and the success and experience will diminish. Pretty soon unit 1 will be no better than unit 2. Then they will BOTH go under-subscribed and an even larger are will needs be combined!
It seems like a slippery slope.
The G&F need to realize that they're selling an experience. A good one creates demand and money. A poor one creates hunter indifference and lost revenue!
In other words, I totally agree.
Zeke

I was told the same thing you were Jim, that private landowners controlled the access. I'm almost certain G&F were not looking at increased revenue in this process, however you should take it to the Commission meeting if it really concerns you. You never know they may listen.

About making areas general license, the G&F are already doing that in the areas with private access issues and where the landownwers agree with the change. I believe elk area 3, south of Lusk is going general this year.

I think you are right. Those elk areas around Lusk will all be general and pretty long season. South of highway 26 the rifle season will be Sept 15-January 31. The rifle season for cows is Aug 15-Jan 31. But I can't argue with that because it is not really elk country and the G&F wants to do what they can for mule deer.

I really do feel sorry for the G&F people. They try hard but are stuck in the world of biopolitics. Just can't please everyone or do what's the most biologically sound thing either. I'm glad I don't have their jobs.

From what I have seen, most all antelope hunting in the private heavy areas of Wyoming will be outfitter controlled in a matter of years anyway. Why anyone would pay 3500 for a guided antelope hunt is beyond me, but it happens enough to keep the outfitters in business and keep them snapping up land.

As far as the land owners, look no further than the popular areas around Casper for the results of what happens when F+G listens to landowners for management strategies.

You can't issue hundreds or thousands of doe tags, let people haul truck beds full of does at a time out of units, and expect to maintain a healthy huntable population of antelope. The results have been more and more visible every year in that area.

Access in Wyoming is getting worse and worse every year, you can see the overall attitude in the state changing more to what you would expect in Montana or Colorado. More people are viewing the wildlife as a meal ticket. That problem is not going to get better anytime soon.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom