Coming Out...not what you think!

hunt1

Are all the ladies just turned off by hunting? When is the right time to tell your date that you like hunting? Last couple of times everything was going great...then introduced them to my dog and my head mounts. They loved the dog and didn't like the trophies. Anybody else have this kinda trouble? Of course, it is better to find out earlier than later, right?

Just thought this would be something interesting to discuss.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-05 AT 12:04PM (MST)[p]There where two things I told my wife I did before we got married and one of them was hunting and if she couldn't support my hunting I wouldn't marry her!!!. It has not been a problem...Other then getting to damn expensive (that's my opinion). The other thing I "use" to do was travel the west coast playing softball all summer..(Now I'm to damn old)so that took care of itself...

It's simple!!!If she can't accept you as you are DON'T MARRY HER!!!. She won't change!!

I am pretty sure that all my dating years, the girl either knew before our first date or during our first date. I never let it go further than that. If she was turned off by hunting, I was turned off by her. Simple as that. I don't care how good looking she is, if she don't like hunting, it won't work long term.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Find someone who likes to hunt or you will be sorry. I went through many girlfriends. I found one that likes to hunt, not as hard as I would like, but does like to hunt. She loves to gut things, I just have to stand by and hold a hoof and give some direction. The whole process takes about an hour after we identify each organ.

Don't Settle, you can buy a piece if you need it.
Wait for the right one.

WB

it's funny for me

when i first my wife in 1994, married in 1998.when we start dating...i went over to her, met her parents...talked with her dad..don't remember how we ended up talking about hunting but he drew one of cow elk tag, he always draw cow but never killed one and i asked him if he want to come with me, told my father in law...u ll kill first day, he laughed!

took him first day, guess what...of course killed his first cow elk and said yes whatever i want to do with my wife! she loves to be with me either camping, hunting or fishin! because she loves to be outdoor, see me excite do something..Beautiful wife!

now have adorable 2 sons! can't wait to bring both with us!

vinihunt

P.s. HUNT1...who is your butcher? i take my to Harold...

Try telling a date that you're a taxidermist :).
My girlfriend doesn't like hunting or taxidermy, but she respects the fact that I do. The first couple of years I'd catch hell after a hunt, but now she's broke in properly ;-). When she'd get mad that I went hunting, I'd just ignore it, and slowly it's gone away. She still gripes now and then, but she knows it's not going to do any good.

I don't hide jack. Everyone that knows me, knows what I do, what I like, what I believe.

I love to hunt and fish. Anyone that denies me that, is no friend of mine.

(If I was gay, I would be flaming.) LOL :)

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

I've noticed that she knew I hunted a lot when she married me but didn't realize the extent to which it might impact our pocket book and also my time at home. I have had to make some adjustments to make things work but it is hard to explain the hunting/fishing thing to her when dating until she actually experiences it directly when you get married. I don't know that it's something you can fully prepare someone for during dating. Just my thoughts.

I told my wife within the first 20 minutes the night I met her that I hunted anything and everything and she would probably see very little of me from September to February. That was about 12 years ago. If they don't like it and won't support it then there is no sense in wasting any time on them.

I married a gal that liked to fish and camp but had never hunted. I talked her into going through hunter safty so she could get a tag and try it. Now I have a hard time going without her. The up side is anything I want to buy that has to do with hunting or ATVs I get the green light.

Along about our 4th date I had to cancel a concert with her because I had a bowhunting offer. Of course she is a country girl and got over it and its no big deal. She didn't hunt much or shoot that much. But I shot competitively. Its worked out, she started shooting. It opened lots up for us, but of course anytime I buy, I end up buying for 2, not one. Thats a bit costly. But what the heck.

In2006 I'll have bought enough cold weather stuff for her that we'll be 3 weeks in Alaska to enjoy hunting and fishing. Beats the beach by far.

Though now shes become so attached to my dogs that she isnt' much into hunting anymore. I suspect the mother in her is showing a bit as we hit 40. But she still goes along.

Tell em now, don't accept no for an answer. Many fish in the sea. YOu might have to play catch and release a while till the right one comes along.

When I first met my Wife she invited me over to see slides of her trek on the Colorado Trail, all 400+ miles of it walked with a pack. Denver to Durango. That had me real interested. At her house I got to see her antelope mounts, then I was really interested. We still have an empty spot above the fireplace reserved for her Moose when she finally draws. Our hobbies are all outdoors from hunting to mountain biking.

I got Lucky,

BeanMan

The good news is that I'm just 25, so I still have plenty of time to find the right one. The bad news is that my standards dictate the following: smart, independent, good-looking, and of course acceptance of my hardcore hunting. (Not to sound shallow for a college graduate with a career.)

the first time i met my wife she was helping her dad butcher a 6x6 bull elk in her garage. I didn't see us having any problems with my hunting.

Don't just get a wife that will "put up" with your hunting (hobbies). A good one will support your hobby.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-05 AT 06:42PM (MST)[p]If you find them at the trap club or 3d shoot you don't have anything to worry about.
I'd say you're looking in all the wrong places.

Met my wife in Alaska in 1974, already had killed a dall sheep. Came down to the lower 48 still living together and proposed to her here. Told her I fish/hunt and if there was any problem not to marry me! She told me as long as you fish/hunt there will be no problem. She has been true to her word and I do whatever I need to do. Great wife, can't complain.

Do what I do! I drive an '01 V-10(thats an bad a$$ V-10 if I am look for BOBCAT tang) 2500,Dodge,lond bed,flame red,X-CAB and I have bullets and shotgun shells(.338win mag,.257 wby mag,.375 win mag,7mm,3-1/2 12ga) every where on the floor, ash tray,doors,on the seat,glove box!
Pretty much says that I am addicted to recoil or I am a hunter!
They alway love the dogs however I would get slapped hard if I bury my nose in that spot!
rackmaster

Be real careful guy, just because you find one that "tolerates" hunting doesnt mean you wont find another guy in your bed when you come home early from a Montana deer hunt (filled tag early)
true story.

Date a woman from Wyoming. Thats what I did. Then if your lucky your future father in law will let you keep some of his sheep heads in your living room till I get a few of my own.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom