Comment on Oregon Fish & Wildlife Mule deer plans

BlueMountainAdventures

Hey guys, I just got done sending these following comments and questions to ODFW...........Please take time out and do the same. I am sure we wont all agree on comments, but we ALL agree something drastically has to be done NOW! The following are just some things I commented on........

I just got done reading the MDI plan. I have a few questions and comments.

1) As you are aware, mule deer are in bad BAD shape. Why not do drastic measures to correct this? Doing 5 "project" units is lame.

2) When some of the units used to be 4pt or better, it was great on the deer herds.

3) Native Americans are hurting the deer and elk populations. What can be done about this issue? Why cant they hunt whenever they want on their reservations, and if they want to hunt public lands, have the correct tags? You can not manage a herd if there is an unknown (Indians)

4) GET RID OF MAJOR PREDATORS!!!!!! PERIOD! Make money by allowing cougar hunts with dogs, not spend money for a gov hunter to kill them!

5) Limit tags DRAMATICALLY!

6) NO MORE GENERAL ARCHERY DEER HUNTS IN EASTERN OREGON.

7) Limit ATV use during deer seasons.

8) Shorten season for a few years.

9) Acknowledge we have MORE than the 4 breeding pair of WOLVES in Oregon, so we can de-list them!! WE ALL HAVE SEEN THE PROOF! PICTURES AND VIDEO!

These are just some of my ideas and comments, right wrong or indifferent. Copy and paste the link below to send in your comments to ODFW too

[email protected]

my top two reasons are:

1. drastically reduce predators
2. drastically reduce tag numbers

neither will likely happen in oregon.

its the same old story, the majority of hunters are not trophy hunters, they want a tag regularly and the odfw manages as the majoirty wants.

hunting cats and bears with dogs and bait would be a start, but this will require a win at the voting polls, this is out of odfw's hands

the indian problem will never be changed, indians can pretty much hunt whenever, whatever, and anywhere they want and a judge will support it.

i think there is some research that shows 4pt or better restricitons are not the best thing for a healthy deer herd or trophy bucks. yearling bucks only might be a better idea.

a reduction in elk numbers where it would benefit mule deer might be another suggestion, but this will be taken care of by the wolves within a couple years.

more large scale controlled burns. there are thousands of acres that could provide far better feed if they were burned

shorten seasons, limit atvs, no general archery, are also good ideas that the majority wont support

if it were up to me we would fix all these problems, but i think the good old days of oregon mule deer are gone for good.

I agree vaquero. I don't agree with everything ODFW does but I wish everybody would quit making ODFW look like the bad guy when it comes to the hunting Bears and Cats with dogs issue. ODFW had nothing to do with it, they did not put on the ballot the Libs in the government did and the Libs on the west side voted it in and it won't change until it goes back on the ballot...then the west side will vote to keep it.
The Indian issue will not go away, PERIOD. It's a bad deal. If the Indians want it back the way it used to be, then I say say let's give it to them. No more trucks, spotlight's, high powered rifles etc. Go back to man made Bow's, Arrows, Clothes etc. Then we will see how many critters they harvest.
I agree that Oregon need's some major changes ASAP!! But like you said, majority rules in this state. HAWK

I read some where that poaching was one of the biggest reasons for the lack of trophy type deer in a lot of areas.

whtelk,
That is no suprise! I was in Mt Emily, Walla Walla & Wenaha for a total of 8 weeks last fall, and I NEVER saw ANY law enforcement!!! And I never saw an ODFW employee during that time neither.

Most of your points are good. My thoughts on the Preds are to issue a FREE tag for cats and bears to everyone who buys a hunting license. Might get a few more hunters in the woods and a few more might hit the dirt. Not a big fix, but wouldn't hurt and a good long term investment for the ODFW.

#6 is already happening in the worst of the worst deer areas. But IMO archery deer hunters have such a negligible effect on deer why restrict archers.? What is the success rate on archery deer? VERY minimal for sure.

The REZ will never change. They couldn't manage their own REZ game, so the REZ grows as the whiskey flows.

HK

HK,

Very good points. My opinion on archery hunters is....ALMOST all deer harvested by archers are killed from the road, and are usually foked horns.

I dont know the right thing to do. I am just out throwing ideas. Are you guys emailing ODFW?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-10 AT 05:52PM (MST)[p]1) As you are aware, mule deer are in bad BAD shape. Why not do drastic measures to correct this? Doing 5 "project" units is lame. AGREE!!!!

2) When some of the units used to be 4pt or better, it was great on the deer herds. STUDY DATA FROM MULEDEER HERDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY DISAGREE THAT 4pt OR BETTER IS A GOOD MANAGEMENT TOOL.

3) Native Americans are hurting the deer and elk populations. What can be done about this issue? Why cant they hunt whenever they want on their reservations, and if they want to hunt public lands, have the correct tags? You can not manage a herd if there is an unknown (Indians) NOT A DARN THING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT.

4) GET RID OF MAJOR PREDATORS!!!!!! PERIOD! Make money by allowing cougar hunts with dogs, not spend money for a gov hunter to kill them! HALLELUJAH, BUT NOT AN ODFW THING TO FIX, ONLY THE LEGISLATURE (OR VOTERS) CAN FIX THAT.

5) Limit tags DRAMATICALLY! AGREED!!!!!

6) NO MORE GENERAL ARCHERY DEER HUNTS IN EASTERN OREGON. AGAIN, THE NUMBERS JUST DON'T AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT, SORRY.

7) Limit ATV use during deer seasons. NEED TO DEFINE THIS? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

8) Shorten season for a few years. SHORTER SEASONS DON'T NECESSARILY EQUATE TO SMALLER HARVEST, BUT GENERALLY PUSHES THE HARVEST EVEN MORE ON YOUNGER (DUMBER) ANIMALS

9) Acknowledge we have MORE than the 4 breeding pair of WOLVES in Oregon, so we can de-list them!! WE ALL HAVE SEEN THE PROOF! PICTURES AND VIDEO! AGREED....BUT HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL ON THIS ONE; THE POLITICS ARE NASTY.

1) As you are aware, mule deer are in bad BAD shape. Why not do drastic measures to correct this? Doing 5 "project" units is lame. Agree

2) When some of the units used to be 4pt or better, it was great on the deer herds. Disagree. When we used to have this type of season, my grandpa said they would come across lots of big wide racked 3pt and forked horns that were mistakenly shot and left to rot.

3) Native Americans are hurting the deer and elk populations. What can be done about this issue? Why cant they hunt whenever they want on their reservations, and if they want to hunt public lands, have the correct tags? You can not manage a herd if there is an unknown (Indians) No opinion as I have never even seen an Indian close to where I hunt.

4) GET RID OF MAJOR PREDATORS!!!!!! PERIOD! Make money by allowing cougar hunts with dogs, not spend money for a gov hunter to kill them!Agree+1

5) Limit tags DRAMATICALLY! Totally Agree

6) NO MORE GENERAL ARCHERY DEER HUNTS IN EASTERN OREGON. I'll take it a step further. I'd like to see the entire state go to a draw for everything. I do agree though that ALOT of dink bucks are killed when in the velvet in their summer state of mind and most are killed from the road!

7) Limit ATV use during deer seasons. Agree. I never hunt from an ATV and don't even use them to get where I'm going or to get an animal out.

8) Shorten season for a few years. Not sure this would do much good. Most hunters only hunt for a week anyway and I'd say most don't even go more than 4 days.

9) Acknowledge we have MORE than the 4 breeding pair of WOLVES in Oregon, so we can de-list them!! WE ALL HAVE SEEN THE PROOF! PICTURES AND VIDEO! 10-4

These are just some of my ideas and comments, right wrong or indifferent. Copy and paste the link below to send in your comments to ODFW too

i have been hunting in the ww and weneha units for 30 plus years been in the samecamp site for 18 years inever saw any law till the guides started coming in there was one a few years ago had a hunter from a major company that we all get the there catalog the usfs was there all the time and the osp was there a few times i spend about 6 weeks a year up there in wall tents and never se any law till the guides move in i have ran hounds for many years and dont see any more sing than i used to b4 hounds were out lawed bears that another story as far as cats the ww was alotted 7 tags now anyone can buy a tag more cats are killed now good job peta

1) AGREE

2) 4 pt and better- Good, that's my rule anyways.

3) Hunt like your ancestors. In 18whatever when the law was made
they didn't expect the high powered rifles, spotlights, and
vehicles. Make your own bow, wrangle a wild horse, and make
some arrowheads. Just like your ancestors. Should have to hunt
with the times of the law. Be a real Indian.

4) Each county needs to vote on this individually. Cats would
then thrive where people want them too. Feel sorry for all
those innocent children with parents who have no common
sense. Not their fault. See #9

5) Not if it is 4 pt and better. That way ODFW gets their revenue
so they are happy and all those young bucks get a chance to
learn something before the road hunters get there crack at em.
Not very many people will get out of their truck to go find a
4 pt. Success rates will stay low. Still a camping trip for
most.

6) HMMMM, maybe, don't think they kill enough to hurt anything.
Would like to still see a controlled number on it though.

7) Keep em on the roads and legal trails. They do less damage
than trucks since they weigh less. Don't bother me since I try
to get where they can't.

8) It would probably hurt some of the small towns economies that
depend on hunters. I usually make two trips. Look at it as a
stimulus package that actually works.

9) Agree, Stupid people need to stop breeding.

456camp.....IF you been there that long, and you JUST NOW noticed guides are in WW, you are way wrong. There have been guides in WW for many many years! Sound to me like you are blaming guides bringing in Law Enforcement. Wonder why thats a problem!?!?!? hmmmmmmm

IMHO I wish we had a game warden working each hunting unit in Eastern Oregon!

Guides & Outfitters that do things shady and borderline, are the ones worried. Also hunters that complain about seeing more and more Law and USFS doing their jobs have something to hide or worry about........just my .02

456CAMP Was either three sheets to the wind or he attended the same spelling class as Killerb. killerb has been getting better though i think he must be attending some night classes. Keep up the good work Killerb I'm proud of your efforts. LOL

>456CAMP Was either three sheets to
>the wind or he attended
>the same spelling class as
>Killerb. killerb has been getting
>better though i think he
>must be attending some night
>classes. Keep up the good
>work Killerb I'm proud of
>your efforts. LOL

tanks, i been triing two werk on it. glade yoo knowticd:)

and it's KILLER "BEE" j/k :)

Back
Top Bottom