Comments on this rifle/scope/ammo please

CWeeks

I'm looking hard at the new Savage Weather Warrior in 300 WinMag(hinged plate), a 4.5x 14x 40 Leupold VX-3 CDS, and hornady superperformance ammo. I've got a caribou hunt and mule deer hunt for this fall. Normally bow hunt but will likely be drawing a few rifle deer hunts in the future and wanted something with a little more knock down if needed for bigger game later. Thanks for any advise on gun, scope, or ammo as I haven't ordered anything yet.

If that has the Accutrigger like I think it does, you will really like it. Great choice and good hunting.
Brian

24bp2th.jpg

Thanks guys, I got to hold one at a Bass Pro Shop in 7mm, and it had a good feel. Haven't seen or talked to anyone who has tried the CDS scopes Leupold has out and would love to hear about any experiences with them or maybe another brand with a ballistic turrent if anyone has tried one.

The power of the scope is one of the things I would like some input on. I have a 3.5x10x50 on my dad's 7mm and was wanting something with a lower profile so I'm going with the 40. Having mainly bowhunting, I haven't had much experience with longrange shooting and would like to hear from some mule deer/antelope hunters out there that have. I doubt I'll ever shoot at anything over 400yds, but that will depend on how the rifle shoots and how I shoot it.

I like the lower profile as well. Lower, won't hang up as badly on brush or a scabbard, etc. Nothing wrong with a 14X, but there is a trade off. It cost more and it has less field of view at lower power. 4.5 is still quite a bit of magnification. High power scopes have thier place, but more often than not a standard 3X9 will be more practical. Keep in mind most game is taken under 200 yards. Either will work, depends on how and where u hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom