Concession or Acceptance Speech?

C

ClorideRUS

What the hell was that??

Sounded like a concession speech to me. I believe McCain is a true patriot but is obviously trapped in the wrong political party.

Game over! Practice saying "President Obama"

RUS

I still need to know how a guy who backed Bush 90% of the time for the last 8 years is going to bring about the " change " he's promising.

Since the Iraq war was god's plan, and ofcourse the republican's are god's party why is it McBush & the church lady are still behind in the polls? didn't god get an invitation to trhe RNC?

McCain came across as a decent guy who's going to lose the election. as long as he stays civil I can respect him for trying, he has more class than most of his chronies.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-08 AT 12:53PM (MST)[p]Rus, I agree McCain is the definition of a patriot, his voting record shows he is where he belongs. The only difference that defines McCain is his pragmatic approach to bi-partisanship and social issues.

Unfortunately McCain is trying to polish a cow chip by asking the voting public to trust his party for 4 more years. As a standing (R) Senator, McCain has to contend with the all the damage left in the wake of Bush/Cheney.

Record Bankruptcies & Foreclosures
High Unemployment & Devalued Dollar
Bank Bailouts & Ailing banking system
2 Wars, Katrina, Record National Debt
Record Personal Debt, Insolvent States
Party Corruption, Cover-ups, Wire-taps
Pork-Barreling Cronyism, Favoritism
Failed Energy Policy, Foreign Policy
War-plan, War on Drugs, and Poverty
Failing Health, Infrastructure, Trade & Tax System

If it had been the Dems that had a power stranglehold for 6 years, while tying up the congress for the last 2 years. Along with an incumbent President, Republicans would be in the streets screaming for their ouster as corrupt, inept, tax and spenders, thieves incapable of leading.

The fact is, if Republicans have issues with state of the union, they only have themselves to blame. The whole platform is basically, "We lied about the whole reform thing back in 2000, and again in 04, but give us another shot, we'll have a new guy at the helm this time."

It's going to make for an interesting next few weeks. Never count McCain out, but he has an enormous challenge on his hands. One thing is for sure 1 party is going to have re-invent itself after this election.

HD,

Can you provide an concrete evidence in the form of hard numbers of McCain voting with GWB 90% of the time? What percent of the time did Hillary and Obama "vote" with Bush? I have looked and cannot find such evidence other then what the democratic party puts out. I have as lillte faith in their numbers are the republican's numbers.

Figures lie and liars figure.

Nemont

Quick check of Obama's record and he voted with the democrats more then 90% of the time.

Do you believe that the democrats are right 90% of the time and the Republicans are wrong 90% of the time?

McCain has been persona non grata in the Bush White House for many of his votes and his positions. It isn't like he walked in lock step with even the Republican Party on many issues.

He has been far more centrist in his politics then anyone else in the race.

Nemont

Nemont for what its worth I heard the other day that Obama voted with Bush 80% of the time as opposed to McCains 90%

"dude, nothing we can say will make us like as childish/silly as the rants you post. We HAVE posted the parts, you chose to ignore them. We get it, you like soldiers that sell out their fellow soldiers for political gain, and you hate or hold in contempt those that take a stand. We get that you manage to see NOTHING but bad in Republicans, and nothing put pure and honorable intentions from fellow limp wristed libs. We got it already, now move on."
(PRO July 3, 2008)

I think that is because if you look the two parties preferred position on alot of mundane business are identical.

I am wanting to know what standard is used to arrive at this 90% of voting with Bush number. Unless it is just a talking point that people like to throw around.

Nemont

I have "heard" that the number (90%) includes memorials and other votes and that the "average" senator votes with the president over 70%. Can't help you with the source but would also be interested.

Funny how everyone who hates the republican party suddenly is an expert in the inner workings. Yeah, Bush folks just love McCain. Kinda like Bill and Hill love Obama.

Who has a lower approval rating than Bush?

That is from the same stats as project vote smart.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/110/senate/party-voters/88/

Look at the democrats percentage of voting with their party. Democrats vote with the party 87.6% of the time Republican 80.8% of the time.

All parties 84.3% of the time.

The talking point about McCain voting with GWB 90% of the time a throw away line used for the uninformed, the ill informed or for those who simply hate GWB. It is a meaningless Stat.

Obama voted with his party 96% of the time, of course this shows great leadership and a true maverick spirit to rubber stamp nearly every bill your party presents, right? It says that he beleives Harry Reid is right 96% of the time.

Is that a fair comparison to say it like that?

The President doesn't introduce bills nor does he sit on any conference committees or participate in the back room deals inside of congress. Saying anyone votes with the president or party is mostly a meaningless statistic that people have globbed onto because they do not care what the nubmer really means. It just sounds good.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/110/senate/party-voters/

Scroll down to see Obama's mug. You have to scroll quite aways further to find McCain's.

Nemont

Who said any of them voted right the majority of the time? the fact is McCain is trying to distance himself from Bush , and the fact is he's much closer to Bush than Obama is.

>Who said any of them voted
>right the majority of the
>time? the fact is McCain
>is trying to distance himself
>from Bush , and the
>fact is he's much closer
>to Bush than Obama is.
>

Don't you suppose that is because they are both in the same party? McCain has been willing to work in the middle with the democrats on alot of things that the right wingers did not want done. Do you remember the which Senators kept the Senate in business during the judicial confirmation hearings?

Obama has never bucked his party on any piece of legislation. All I am saying is that to lionize Obama is to complete ignore his total lack of leadership on anything bipartisan. He is not anymore interested in working with Republicans to get anything fixed then Cheney is of coming out of his undisclosed location.

Nemont

Nemont,

When you started digging around on the voting I decided to do the same thing. My little brain was swirling so I went fishing to let the dust settle. After losing 3 set-ups and missing a Brown strike 3 feet away while reeling in. I decided to leave the river and go home. River 3, Fish 1, Me 0. On the drive home my brain finally settled sufficiently as to why this is a talking point. It's not about partisanship alignment, it's about guilt.

The RNC has obviously linked the names of Bush, Cheney, to those like Craig, keeping them at a 3 stalls length and daring not to speak their names. Now the DNC has done the exact same thing with Edwards. So we are all aware of the routine by both sides.

Edwards indiscretions are rather inconsequential since he is not a current office holder. Craig is just down right creepy and self-explanatory, but he just won't leave. When it comes to Bush the RNC is running like hell towards the light and not looking back in an attempt to escape their shadow.

Bush/Cheney are incumbents! Yet no homage to their leadership, no live address, no address at all by the V.P., their names left unmentioned throughout the convention.

This is exceptional since 183.694% x 4.16 of the time incumbents terms in office are highlighted and praised at the convention. The party pays honor to their leadership, and the base is energized. Just watching the RNC, one would be challenged to be reminded just who the President or V.P. currently is. No signs, nothing. This is historical, and will frame this entire 2008 election and the Bush Adm.

Get on with it man! O.K., the reason why this factoid has been a fully licensed talking point is 2-fold. The first of course is to attach "the names we dare not speak of" to McCain. The 2nd is to note the disparity between Obama's aligned votes with Bush and McCain's. If your opponent has rubber stamped failed leadership, and you didn't, it kinda of a plus for you.

As we know the 109th & 110th congress are polarized. The 109th which represent 3/4 of the Bush Adm. term did not have many bi-partisan bills. The 110th congress is stalled out due an historical amount of fillibustering on behalf of the GOP. Bi-partisanship has been deeply frowned upon by GOP. We witnessed McCain being repeatedly denegrated for being too moderate by many of his conservative peers for crossing the aisle.

For 6 years the Reps. dominated politics concentrating on Republican sponsered legislation, while rarely allowing the Dem's to ever get to the floor. This partisan division has created the high percentage of party alignment on votes, which has carried thru to our current congress.

The Dems point to McCain's voting record because Bush/Cheney are so incredibly unpopular to the point of being banished. Even McCain can only associate the word "failed" when he refers to party principles, the past congress, and the incumbency.

McCain has been a Senator during his party's current incumbency. Despite his efforts of bipartisanship on a couple of bills, McCain has been apart of self-admitted failed power structure. So McCain's alignment of voting with George does have significance.

The real difference is when you compare Obama, Clinton, Bush, & McCain. Clinton oddly enough has been rather center voting along with McCain 70.12679% of the time. Obama on the other hand has voted along with McCain only 30.129% of the time. I'll have to check the real numbers and post a hyperlink, but I'm close.

If the Reps and Dems both don't like Bush and believe the adm.'s failed policies have led to our economic slowdown, shrinking middleclass, high influx of illegals, stretched military, high-fuel prices, devalued dollar, well the list goes on etc. Then McCain is left defending vote and his alignment with such an unpopular adm., especially if he is going defend
his annointed "Maverick" status. McCain has recently recanted his support on some of his own well-known, Maverick inspired, bi-partisan legislation.

For me, it does make sense for Obama to highlight his clear opposition to Bush and the legislation or policies of his party. During the campaign Obama highlighted Hillary's voting record, and noted she voted with Bush twice as much as he did.

Where is JB when you need him?

McCain voted with Bush, Obama on the other hand rarely did.
Bush sucks!

Guilt by association, Reps must accept the blame by default, they are the party in power.

I hope I catch some fish tonight!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-08 AT 09:01AM (MST)[p]FTW,

I don't buy the guilt theory because too many democrats have voted not only to authorize war but have continued to fund the war every time the president has asked. They would be included in the guilt theory.

I never said it wasn't good politics for Obama to tie McCain to Bush I said that if one truly looks at each record Obama is way more highly partisan then Obama. He has not reached across the aisle in any way, has not bucked his party on any major piece of legislation. The is just fact and given that fact I don't think that the Democrats are right 96% of the time any more then I think the Republicans are right 90% of the time.

So if one want to use throw away lines to elect a president that is fine but it has nothing to do with reality or fact. Obama has not interest in working with anyone other the democrats and their agenda, which is his right but nobody should be shocked when the opposition pushes back. If either party was right on issue even 70% of the then they would always be in power.

I think McCain can point to his long senate career and say he bucked his own party when it made sense for the American people. I don't know what Obama can point to in his record in the Senate because it is largely a blank slate.

Nemont

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-08 AT 07:43PM (MST)[p]Nemont I know you didn't say that. I thought, "McCain voted along with Bush 90% of the time" was the central focus.

I don't quite understand, I never interpreted the McCain/Bush thing as, "Obama is more bi-partisan than McCain." It does appear that is to be the case from your info...call the McCain Campaign quick!

As for the guilt thing most Dems have rationalized that Bush dupped them into the war. They have had no choice but to fund the war over the years due to a lack of an exit strategy. In their minds they are being patriotic and supporting the military. Yet still non-supportive of the war in general. Call it what you want, right, wrong, whatever, I believe this is the mindset.

Goodness gracious Ransom are you on drugs? I meant to say, are you still on drugs? :) Tell me you didn't take a stone from the castles! No kidding, it's hella bad luck cuz! Hope you had a good trip! Not enough green over there...

MOSNAR!!!!!!

Don't let them IRA dudes break you. I gotta a fund going for your release. Problem is: they is all libs and don't seem to give a crap if you end up looking like McBush.

RUS

To my many MM friends

9 days down so far and I haven't fallen off a bar stool! Just got back from the Guinness Brewery. I'll stick to domestic, that stuff is horrid. Tomorrow we visit the Jameson Distillery. The weather and food sucks but the women are really pretty.
All the Irish men want McCain to win even if they are libs and that should be self explanitory. But for you guys from Utah that means he should win because he has an Irish Surname.
Pheasant hunting would really be good here if you were allowed to have shotguns. I guess you could borrow one from an IRA Member.

Ransom

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom