Conejos River Country

Rocketeer

Well, looks like another year of not getting drawn for the limited draw tags, struck out in NM, Co, and Utah. Not enough points for AZ or WY yet. So, falling back to an over the counter tag for Colorado. Years ago, mid - late 90's I hunted along the Conejos River, backpacking in several years up the Notch Trail, several years day packs in on the west side of the river, and doing one year with a drop camp up Negro Gulch.

Any thoughts on these areas now? Can you still wade across the river to get to the Notch Trail? Recommendations on these areas or other areas that may offer better access and or chance of getting into some elk?

Thanks,
Roger

Are you planning an archery or rifle hunt?

I was there for the 2nd rifle hunt in Oct. I went up raybalid trail. I called a forest ranger and he told me I could ford the river to get to notch trail, but I decided against doing that in Oct.

When I got up top, all I found was old sign and more than half the tracks I found had boot prints following them from the 1st rifle season. There was a snow storm a couple of weeks before I got there and although the snow had melted in the open areas there was still a good 18 inches up top in some of the dark timber.

I am not sure if the snow and/or hunting pressure pushed them into NM, but I saw tons of horse trailers when I got down at other trail heads. No one I talked to had seen or even heard of anyone killing a bull.

It's beautiful country but I did not see any elk. If I ever hunt the unit again I would hunt the other side of the highway toward NM or near the railroad station. That is of course assuming the same amount of snowfall and hunting pressure.

Thanks for the information. I'm planning on an archery hunt.

Did you do anything around Black Mountain on the East side of the river?

Thanks,
Roger

No, I stayed on the west side of the river. Last year I did find some info on bowsite. I just did a search for unit 81.

Good Luck

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-12 AT 10:17AM (MST)[p]I live in this unit and have hunted it all my life. It is not an easy unit to hunt. There are a ton of hunters that hunt this unit (most out of state.) We have found a couple of sweet spots (more like little pockets) where the elk aren't pressured as much. Are you wanting to hunt high, or stay low near black mountain? Black Mountain is a good spot for archery if you will let yourself get into the dark timber, otherwise all you will see is other hunters. Let me know if you need any information on anything else. Thanks. Here is a bull I shot in unit 80-81.
1153mybull.jpg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom