Confirmed wolf pack in Utah

infinitecircles

Here is the article.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2892224

For the first time in almost 80 years, there's a confirmed sighting of a wolf pack in Utah. Five wolves were spotted running in a remote corner of the state.

In recent years, lone wolves have been trapped in Utah twice, but this is a the first confirmed pack to enter the state since the last Utah wolves were exterminated in 1930.

There's no concrete proof the wolf pack was here--no photos or video, unfortunately. But the experts saw and heard just enough to convince them the wolf pack really did make a historic crossing into Utah.

Wolves were wiped out in the lower 48 states early in the last century, exterminated to protect cows and sheep. But they're making a big comeback since their reintroduction in Yellowstone.

Since the mid-'90s, wolf packs have been spreading their range in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. Utah experts have long expected their return, and now it's apparently happened.

Three weeks ago, a pilot landing at Dutch John Airport spotted five big dogs. The pilot is a veteran hunter with experience spotting wolves from the air in Alaska.

"He said wolves," explained Kevin Bundle, with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR). "He was positive, 100 percent."

The pilot, Dave McDonnell, reported two blacks and three grays, which is an important clue. "Because coyotes don't have color phases like wolves do," Bundle said.

With such a credible sighting, experts flooded into northeastern Utah to confirm it. A few nights later, they found tracks in the snow from one or two wolves but couldn't get photos of the paw prints.

"We didn't find them until after dark, so we couldn't get photos because the flash just blinds you back; and it snowed overnight so we couldn't go back up the next day," Bundle explained.

But the clincher is what the searchers heard. They played a digital recording of a wolf and heard answering howls in the distance.

They're now officially listing it as a confirmed sighting, Utah's first pack since 1930. "Whether they're still there, we don't think so, or we think we would have picked them up by now," Bundle said.

They're still trying. For the last three weeks, they've been putting out roadkill carcasses of deer and elk, hoping the wolves will feed on them, so far, to no avail. The best guess is the pack went back to Wyoming, at least for now.

PUT YOUR PANTIES BACK ON!!!

THIS AIN'T THE FIRST TIME WOLVES HAVE BEEN SPOTTED IN UTAH!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

They probably come down from time to time, and when they see the pisscutters they pack up and head out.

What will Utah do to deal with it? Nothing. No wolf management plan is in place in your state. Still up to the feds. With the de-listing, Montana is SUPPOSED to take over management, as is Idaho and Wyoming. Lawsuits will inevitably hold this up. Welcome to the nightmare. mtmuley

1911!!!

LMAO!!!

THATS A GOOD ONE!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Is there a bounty yet? I'll bet our ancestors are rolling in their graves, undoing all they did.

I thought it was an entertaining story. I like how no one has any pictures/video or concrete evidence to prove this story. It's all just passed on by word of mouth. "I found tracks but the camera flash screwed up the pic and it snowed that night and a bear was chasing me and big foot erased all the other wolf tracks when he was cleaning up his own tracks and ufo's then came and took the wolfs to cheyanne mountain and blah, blah, blah." LMAO!!
-------------------------

S.A.F.!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-08 AT 03:11AM (MST)[p]Interesting story for sure.

I am over there a ton of time...elk -sheep ect....very remote and very few roads.

The pack Mommie is probably looking for a den to have her litter.

I think Colordao unit 201 offers more of a wolf home than desolate 3-Corners unit in Utah!

snowman.... what ya think?

Robb

O.K. But Utah's plan is not included in the federally mandated plan as applied to the de-listing. mtmuley

When I was out in the Book Cliffs last year. We let out a few howls and had a few responses. I am claiming the first evidence of Wolves in Utah. :)

They were just in Utah on a weekend binge, but when they found out the beer was only 2 1/2% alcohol and with no lottery tickets to be found, they returned to Idaho and Wyoming.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-08 AT 09:30PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-08 AT 09:29?PM (MST)

Robb,

I think the wolve's would not like 3-corner, why you ask, becuase I will be there waiting to introduce myself!!!!S.S.S.
Just Joking..
LOL!!!

I think wolves would like the remote areas of 3-corners, and WY101/102. Plenty of open range, lots of animals. Hell, the dam wolves could live on the rabbits alone. CO 201, hell I think the wolves would love the Dino National Park. They would thrive. Not to mention the Bookcliffs. I did some research in me college days on the EIS (Environmental Impact Study) on the reintroduction of wolves into the lower 48. The Bookcliffs was mentioned as one of the best places in Utah for a possible reintroduction location.

All in All,
I think it's cool to know there is a creature that likes to hunt and kill more than myself. I admire them to a degree....HOwever, if it starts becoming a competition(wolves out of control)wolves vs. man, then that would not be cool at all...

Let's hope we will have the power to(harvest) and regulate their numbers.

Snowman

LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-08 AT 11:01PM (MST)[p]glad we had an expert to comfirm it, folks in the n.w corner have been seeing and catching them for half a decade now. big news!

Remember the Big Horns that were recently transplanted out in the Dutch John/ Little Hole area? Thats going to be some expensive wolf food. I'am sure the DWR biologist in charge of the transplant are estatic about the news of wolves in the area.

On a side note, I was leaving Little Hole yesterday evening and about 20 of the Big Horns were feeding right off the side of the road, There were 3 or 4 decent rams and it looked like they made it through the winter in decent shape.

Up in that neck of the woods are the true Utards (Not poking fun of you Bessy). I don't think those wolves will last long up there. The Deer and Elk sure don't!!

MortgageMan Sorry but your a few years too late on making the first call about wolves in Utah. There will be a dead wolf in Utah in the news before October... That is a prediction.

I believe early on most of the wolves were tagged, some with GPS. 3-4 generations later I don't think thats the case. I'm just saying????

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom