Confused by bonus point reports

Chow_Hound

I was looking at the 2008 and 2009 bonus point reports for LE deer. They don't seem to make sense. In 2009, both the people purchasing points and applying for licenses seemed to double. The difference seemed to be in the 0 point category. Can that be right or are they somehow counting differently?

I suspect the numbers actually doubled. In 2009, they starting allowing NONresidents to apply for more than one species. Therefore, I applied for a deer and an elk point. In the past, I could only apply for one (an elk point).

They only did this for nonresidents. Why, because it only DECREASES everyones chance of getting drawn, but in INCREASES money coming in to the Division of wildlife. Guess they figured they could do it to us and there is nothing we could do about it. Of course, if we want to stay in the game, we have to ante up.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

As states transition from making most of their money off of the license fees to making it off of the point fees, I really wish they would lower the tag fees. I would much rather pay $50 for a point and have the tags cost 1/2 of what they do today, so I don't have to take a home equity loan out when I finally draw. The tags will probably cost $10,000 by the time I draw!

I believe that most of the $10 fee is for admin costs and processing in Fallen NV...I dont think the DWR makes any money from app fee's.
So actualy you do not pay anything for a BP or PP, it is all ate up in processing fee's in Nevada.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-10 AT 06:58AM (MST)[p]Well, if that is true why did they do it? They only did it for nonresidents because residents didn't want it. They have clout, we don't.

I can't think of even one good thing it does for us. As brought up by this thread, it lowers our odds of drawing any tag by about 1/2 or more.

Examples for any weapon: People with 0 points applying for the Henry's deer tag went from 173 to 1298 last year. Applicants for the San Juan elk went from 134 to 456. And those numbers will probably be even more dismal this year. 2009 was the first year, and I doubt if everyone even knew they could apply for more than one.

So since they went from $5 to $10 for the applications and we are now paying $20 instead of $5, I bet that some of the money gets back to the DOW.

Not that I mind them getting a few extra bucks. However, we get to pay more with NO MORE OPPORTUNITY. They did not increase our tags, they lowered our odds of drawing, AND we can still only draw one tag. If you get a deer tag (it is the first drawing) you are removed from the elk drawing.

But we HAVE to put in for both so as not to get behind the curve.

I can think of no positives from the nonresident point of view.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

+1 on the "no positive from the nonresident point of view". I liked the pick your species much better. The draw odds for NR's were bad and are now much worse. I wish they would switch back.

----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom