Considering a custom rifle

BigPig

Very Active Member
I have an old Rem 722 in .300 sav. I already have a Savage 99 lever in the same caliber so I am considering having something different built on this action. The calibers I'd consider would be a .358, one of the WSM's, or a .250 savage. I realize the .250 sav. would probably be the most cost effective since the bolt face could be left alone, so that is where I'm leaning. What I'd like done is to have the barrel replaced to the caliber I want, the trigger assembly replaced, the action polished, then have the whole thing bedded to a nice grain, new wood stock. I don't need benchrest accuracy but I definitely want it to shoot sub MOA and have nice fit and finish. I'm after the classic, nice wood stock and deep bluing, look.

Any recommendations on stocks, barrels and triggers? About how much should I expect to pay a gunsmith for all this? Any gunsmiths you'd recommend? I'd like to stay local to So. Cal. but would be willing to ship to someone good with 722's and who does good work at a fair price. Thanks.

anything with a .30/'06 diameter case, which the .300 savage is, will work real well. just about everything that isn't belted, is. .308, .270, .280, .22/.250, .243, 6mm, .25/'06, .257 roberts, .250 sav., etc. all have the same size case head. so does the 7mm, 8mm and argentine mauser. a real easy change would be to have the chamber reamed out to the .30/06. don't know for sure what the barrel twist on the ol' .300 savage is, so it may or may not work well there. but if the twist is sufficient, a gunsmith oughta be able to turn it into an '06 in just a few minutes and you wouldn't have to buy a new barrel.

RLH, thanks for the info. I already have a 30-06 so that does not really interest me. Besides, aren't those long actions too long for the receiver?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-04 AT 10:17PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-04 AT 10:14?PM (MST)

BigPig
Do you hand load?
You are going to be into the rifle a healthy chunck of change
1000.00 or so with new barrel, smith work and the stock work
so if you hand load build something a little differant.
a light cal ackley-something classic--I would go with a varmit
cal- you would be more likley to take it out and shoot, use it more than a big game round-- up and down through the rough stuff--Now days you can buy a rifle that ten years ago would have been considerd custom for not too bad of hurt to the wallet-alot cheeper than building one.I know where your coming from I have a few 722 actions that I don't know what to do with.HMMMMMMMM

Rimrock

Rimrock is correct. You could pick up a Sendero with a good stock, decent bedding, maybe a good barrel and be under 1000.

On the other hand you are looking at anywhere from 300 up to 1000 bucks for a barrel. Around 200 or so for truing up. Bedding can run up to 200 depending. New trigger 100-200. Good synthetic stock at 400 or so.

I am looking at building off a titanium action with a carbon wrap barrrel for lightweight hunting rifle. But in a big caliber. Add a custom lightweight stock and I'll add another100 bucks. Because it'll knock the snot out of me in a 338 wildcat, a brake(add 200). And because I don't want to worry about rust etc.... a matte teflon finish for it all. Add another 150 or so.

I was/am looking at 2500 bucks real quick. And could easily exceed that.

In the northwest I'd seriously see if Jim Cloward could do the stock work. For metal work since you want a moa or just better rifle, almost any decent smith will work as long as you have references.

Best of luck, I'm thinking my new rifle will have to wait till after my next Alaska trip......

Jeff

He's not So-Cal, but High Performance Gunsmithing in Hamilton, Montana is second to none. He is on the web. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-04 AT 07:30AM (MST)[p]Agree with the Sendero post. Great rifle!!

Trigger..There's only one. JEWELL!!

bigpig, the 722 was only made in one action length. unless there is a magazine block in it for the short .300 sav cartridge, you shouldn't have any problem with any cartridge up to a .300 mag. seems like they even chambered it in the .300 h&h, which is a little longer than a .300 win. the 720, 721, 722 and the original 700's were all one length. the 720, 721 and 722 had the same action, they were just different grades of finish. the 700 action is almost the exact same action also. you should be able to have just about any barrel you want put on it and have it be ok as far as cartridge length. good luck. any gun is a good gun.

Thanks all. I know this is not cost effective. Fun stuff rarely is. I own a truck, a boat and lots of toys so I know all about that. I just think this would be a neat project. I have decided to buy a nice stock that partially finished. I will then install a new trigger, finish and bed the stock, and then have it rebarrelled if I decide to.

I really would love to have a custom bolt action in the .250 savage. One of my all time favorites, keep us updated.

I've been kinda thinking about a 6-284 cal. with a thumb hole walnut stock
from Harry Lawson in Tuson,ordering the barrel from Shilan.
This could be a good use for a 722 action.

I have a close friend who has an original Rem M722 in 257 Roberts. It is a nice gun and a great shooter. It was his dad's gun and is in mint condition. A real sweatie.
I see one of the guys has already advised you of the cost. You are looking at $1k easy once you are done.
I have you considered 7x57 Mauser?

Have fun, Don
Everett, WA

i have a custom 7mm mauser.. its on a mauser action though,, its a great gun it shoots better than i do and it does not kick yet i dropped an elk with it 1 shot at 200 yds, i love my gun but then if i didnt love it i would not own it right, ron nichols of holbrook az made mine and about 10 others for my dad and my freind and his dad,,, they all shoot 3 bullets in the same hole,, c bryant

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom