considering a synthetic

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
i am condsidering gettin a rifle with a synthetic stock for when i hunt in bad weather. so i dont have to worry about gettin my nice laminated stock warped, i want to get something like 7mm or 300 mag, a different calliber than i have, and something that will take down elk. im thinkin of a 300-400 dollar scope nothing fancy,. what kind of gun? was thinkin of a leupld vx-II, maybe III
Casey

Casey

The reason for laminates is that they are different wood grain directions all glued together under extreme pressure.

A laminated stock is almost as impervious to weather as a synthetic.

If you get a synthetic stocked gun, realize that most of the injection molded stocks that are on guns are not that great. Not bad but not the best. To get the best you often times need to spend the bucks on Mcmillan or HS stocks.

The one synthetic I know thats pretty solid and stiff is what comes on the Sendero rifles.

You've got as tough a time deciding on calibers as I do :)

Jeff

im thinkin on gettin a 7mm mag, or a 300 mag something in the magnum caliber as i have what i think of as the best caliber that is a non-magnum. i am really thinkin on a 7mm.
Casey

One of the other guys just posted a note that he picked up a Weatherby Vangaurd with a synthetic stock for around $300 at his local WalMart.
As memory serves me, I think they are available in 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag.
In addition, do not over look the discount Savage rifles out there. I have heard they are 1 moa (or better) shooters.

Have Fun, Don
Everett, WA

Don and all.

Savage, from first hand knowledge. Ugly in my books. Well not so ugly . But what does that matter? Beautiful guns make me scared to take them in the woods.

The synthetic stocks are a bit light in the front end. They are extremely accurate for what you pay. Most easily shoot 1 inch or so or even less at 100. The accutrigger makes up for years of bad triggers. Its not perfect but awful decent.

Lots of calibers and choices.

The package guns come with a horrible(in my books and lots of my friends thoughts also) simmons 15 buck scope. And cheapy mounts. They'll work though. Just don't expect them to track so well when sighting in, and don't expect to see much early or late but other than that they are fine.

The weatherbys as mentioned are a good deal also. But you can find more folks to re barrel a Rem/Win or get a ready to go Savage barrel, than you will find folks wanting to deal with the wtby normally. FWIW. But they tend to shoot pretty good.

One other interesting note on Wtby. The ones that advertise Krieger barrels(for those that know what a Krieger is) do not use top of the line cut rifled tubes, they use a cheaper buttoned barrel from the Criterion side of Krieger. Though a buddy has had good luck and accuracy with a criterion on a match rifle for testing. But they are not worth the premium.

Jeff

I bought a Wthby Vanguard in .270 Win at a gun show once. It shot okay but I concur, the stock was junk. I had the front sling screw (stock not aftermarket)just strip the threads (was threaded in the stock)and the rifle fell off my shoulder!! Boy was I pissed. Took it to the smith to get a better set up but ended up selling it after the season. I didn't like the long bolt throw either. I like Wthbys that have the short bolt throw like on Brownings.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

RE: the Weatherby MkV Feather Weights.
From what I have heard, they are good guns. One fella posted a note (I think on this forum) regarding the 240 Wby Mag his buddy took to Alaska on a Dall sheep hunt.
He said the gun is very light weight, but the 240 Wby Mag is not abusive in the recoil department. I imagion a 7mm or 300 Mag would be another matter.
The 240 Wby ballistics are matched by the 6mm-06, 3300 to 3400 fps with a 100gr load. Therefore it is a very flat shooter.
The gent went to say his friend made a one shot kill at a little over 200yds on a nice ram.
I myself am a southpaw, so only a few calibers are availible in the Weatherby Feather Weight. I think I saw a LH model on Gunbroker.com the other day in 257 Wby Mag. $1800 was a little high for me.

Chef,
Thanks for the heads up regarding the swivels on the synthetic stocked vangaurds. That is pretty cheesy.

Best Regards, Don
Everett, WA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom