Consignment or Gunbroker -Best way to maximize return and legally sell a firearm.

Thill

Ok - I have my sights on a serious rifle package upgrade and need to raise some funds and clear out some space in my safe. I have a number of firearms that I have either won at banquets, inherited, bought and or just no longer need or see myself using. These are your typical $300-$1500 firearms that I just don't see myself or my heirs using anymore or in some cases they are unfired and still in boxes.
My local gunshop and gunsmith wants 20% - which I find offensive. I started thinking about the guns I have parted with and they were to other family and friends before all this background check stuff became law.

Any suggestions on the best way to get a fair price and legally part with these guns.

Haven't checked what current gunbroker rates are plus a buyer can pay for shipping. Gun shop I tend to see them sit for a long time. They will sell their product first.

I sure do like to buy from gunbroker as a buyer. Simple and easy.

Have you used gunbroker to build a good A+ rating? I tend to avoid sales with people on low ratings

Have not dealt with used guns for years. Old gun shop would sell used guns to you at a good price. They closed years ago. You need to check on what ALL fees would be. I just had a Weatherby shotgun choke tube get messed up on a newer shotgun a few months ago. Weatherby did not have replacement barrel but they sold me a new shotgun at half cost. The gun shop that I used for the transfer charger me $137.00 for a transfer fee. What a load of crap.

Had a friend buy a gun a few years ago and had it shipped to guy that had his FFL and he charged him $25. He had to fill out the proper paperwork. Might be gun shops don’t want to mess with this so they charge a high fee. You could do a person to person transaction but make sure they have a concealed carry permit.

I've also had good luck buying and selling on GB. You'll get your best price on an auction site, only need two buyers bidding against each other. Only accept a postal money order, cash at post office then ship through an FFl. Figure out what you need for your weapon after fee's and start at that price with buyer paying reasonable shipping. My dealer charges $25 for a transfer fee but will waive it with a $50 purchase, I just buy ammo.

I’ve had good luck just buying and selling on the forums. You can legally ship through USPS (check into the laws yourself) and ship to an FFL for the buyer. Probably the best way to get what your guns are worth.

Any of them happen to be tikkas??

If you are selling on line the FFL fee could be a consideration. As others have posted they could be anywhere from free to over $100. In my area they are $15 to $25.

On Gunbroker you can search for FFL dealers in your area and what they charge by entering your zip code.

I don’t know about gun shows but there is a cost to set up there also. You might pay $50 for a table and sit there for three days and not sell anything.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom