construction spending at 8 year high and car sales robust

azbullhunter

News from today Commerce Department says construction spending at eight year high. Auto sales robust in Feb. Ford sales up 20%, Chrysler 12%, Honda 13% Nissan 11%. Sales of Cadillac Escalade which start at 73K up 22% and a Lexus starting at $89,000 almost doubled.

I just provide the FACTS and let most of you provide the excuses and denials.

Are you sure your report is correct. While in the shop I heard on the radio today that G.M. sales were down 13% and V.W. was also down but I can not remember the figure. The below Bloomberg report came out Jan. 15 this year and somewhat conflicts with your glowing report. Could the Commerce Dept. be fudging on their reports to keep Obama happy????

RELH

Sales excluding automobiles and gas were little changed

Blue Arrow
Unexpected decline in retail control group that feeds into GDP

Sales at U.S. retailers declined in December to wrap the weakest year since 2009, raising concern about the momentum in consumer spending heading into 2016.

The 0.1 percent drop matched the median forecast of 84 economists surveyed by Bloomberg and followed a 0.4 percent gain in November, Commerce Department figures showed Friday in Washington. For all of 2015, purchases climbed 2.1 percent, the smallest advance of the current economic expansion.

?
The slowdown, including electronics stores, clothing merchants and grocers, indicates Americans probably preferred to sock away the savings from cheaper fuel instead of splurging during the holiday season. While hiring has been robust in recent months, faster wage gains remain elusive, one reason household spending may have a tougher time accelerating as the new year gets under way.

?There isn't anything encouraging in this report,? said Thomas Simons, a money-market economist at Jefferies Group LLC in New York. ?It's very disappointing. The labor market is in good shape, which suggests the outlook is probably better than this.?

Estimates in the Bloomberg survey for retail sales ranged from a decline of 1 percent to a 0.3 percent advance. The November tally was revised up from a previously reported 0.2 percent increase.

Weak 2015

The increase for all of 2015 followed a 3.9 percent gain the prior year. It was the smallest advance since demand slumped 7.4 percent in 2009, when the recession ended in June of that year.

A separate report from the Labor Department showed inflation remained contained at the wholesale level. The producer price index decreased 0.2 percent in December from the prior month and was down 1 percent year-over-year.

The retail sales report showed six of 13 major categories showed declines in demand in December from the prior month, with a 1 percent slump at general merchandise stores that was the biggest since February, the report showed.

Receipts at gasoline stations dropped 1.1 percent. The Commerce Department's retail sales data aren't adjusted for prices, so lower fuel costs depress filling-station receipts.

Regular gasoline at the pump has dropped to a seven-year low, falling below $2 a gallon this week to reach $1.93 on Thursday, according to AAA, the biggest U.S. motoring group.

Clothing, Electronics

The retail report also showed sales decreased 0.9 percent at clothing chains and 0.2 percent at electronics stores.

Automobile dealers? sales were little changed.

Industry figures earlier this month showed purchases of cars and light trucks came in at a 17.2 million annualized rate in December, the slowest since July, after an 18 million pace the prior month, according to Ward?s Automotive Group. Even so, industry sales data shows 2015 was a record year for automakers.

The figures used to calculate gross domestic product, which exclude categories such as food services, auto dealers, home-improvement stores and service stations, unexpectedly dropped 0.3 percent, the biggest decrease since February, after the prior month?s 0.5 percent increase in the so-called retail control group that was smaller than previously estimated.

Warm December

Warmer than usual weather last month probably curtailed purchases of winter gear including clothing. This was the warmest December on record for the contiguous U.S., according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Some economists may lower estimates for fourth-quarter gross domestic product and consumer spending following the retail sales results. The median forecast in a Bloomberg survey shows household purchases rose at a 2.2 percent annualized rate from October through December, after a 3 percent pace in the prior three months.

Recent reports had signaled the November-December holiday season was a mixed one for retailers. Same-store sales fell in the two months for chains ranging from Macy?s Inc. to Best Buy Co. while those who snagged an increase included J.C. Penney Co. Same-store sales for the industry as a whole account for about 17 percent of total retail sales, which make up almost half of consumer spending.

Beige Book

?Growth of consumer spending ranged from slight to moderate in most Districts,? according to the Federal Reserve?s Beige Book economic survey based on reports from late November to early January by regional Fed banks. ?Auto sales were somewhat mixed, as activity has begun to drop off from previously high levels in some Districts.?

Employers added 292,000 workers in December and payrolls for the previous two months were revised higher, the Labor Department reported last week. The jobless rate held at a more than seven-year low of 5 percent. Wages stagnated, with average hourly earnings unchanged from November and up 2.5 percent from a year earlier. They?ve been in the 2 percent range since the expansion began in 2009.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.T

you can find anything you want on the internet whether true or not...

i have had my contractors license since 2005 i just let it lapse due to not enough work to make it worth buying my bond and liability ins.

i have been doing more ministry work lately and i run into a lot of people in the same boat, you can believe what ever statistic you find on the net its not accurate...

Maybe you should pray for god to make you a decent contractor . The construction guys in Oregon are all kicking azz. you must suck.

The economy is great for working people and investors alike. for bums and deadbeats not so much. must be the black guy's fault.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I Don't Doubt Sales Have been High in Places!

Every TARD has 3 New Vehicles Parked next to their Mansions!

What I wanna know is:

How many of them are Paid For?

I can tell you one thing az!

Here where I live,there's a bunch of people wishing they had a Job to pay for all that New Stuff!

And Don't tell me how good the Economy is here where I live!

I Still say better than half the BS you see takin place is the Neighbor Trying to out-do the other Neighbor!

[font color="blue"]"I Don't get No Sleep!I Don't get No Peace!"

Hey Founder?

Did You get Permission From shotgun1 before you made your Last
Post?
[/font]

Relh

My numbers are accurate VW down down to diesel engine problems GM down since fewer sales for the month to rental cars. I never reported VW or Chevy.

Manny why would anyone want to hire an ignorant racist like you. Where I am I should send you pictures of the housing dev. All built out and no one moved in yet since they have not finished but one house. Builders backed up.

Who cares if the vehicles are paid for or not not my business if they borrow so what if they do not pay back loans i can go in and buy a hunting truck. Let the banks worry about it. I do not.

I just provide the facts

By the way for you conspiracy theorist it is the same commerce dept for Obama and Bush. Same dept that reported 750,000 jobs lost in one month under Bush I suppose they only fudge numbers for Obama.

I am waiting for the jade Helm war and for Alex Jones to provide info about Scalia's death. Any more conspiracy theories?

If anything is helping the middle class economy it's the cheap price of oil, that puts money on their pockets and in turn provides demand for many things. How long it lasts?

Another batch of top end tax cuts and more money funneling to the top will destroy this modest improvement. Do people lets remember what it was like when the economy had to be slowed down by raising interest rates?
No more, this rightwing economy is a fragile one ,as we have seen. Obama's steady hand has been good. But a rightwing insurgance could really destroy things in a hurry and for an awful long time.

Somebody must be makin lots of money!

Usually Ain't the Guy Busting His Ass!

You may wanna check just how good the Economy is anywhere it's Related to Oil Production!

Hey Founder?

Post?
[/font]

GEEZUS piper!

Obama's steady hand has been good?

WTF?

Hey Founder?

Post?
[/font]

No auto companies in bankruptcy, no major banks closing lower unemployment not higher in fact half of what it was. Housing rebounding gm record sales and profits. You are right things have tanked and much worse than when Obama was elected. Lets go back

Piper you will still be spouting the same B.S. when under Obama's steady hand the price of gas will go back up this coming summer.
AZbullhunter, I have noticed that you pick only items that show progress and have the tendency to leave out the stats for other areas that show a decrease in progress and then try to paint everything as being great. Overall picture is not as great as you try to slant it.

RELH

I posted info on record profits at gm good sales at Ford etc and record auto sales last year could have posted vw sales down due to fraud but I skipped it. More good news to report now than bad

RELH not everything is great but things are better than they were and getting better slowly but in the right direction.

No the price of oil will not hit 3 or 4 dollars this summer. And yea Obama has been good for the economy. No massive top end tax cuts, no big expensive wars, no slashing wall street regulations.
It's been slow and steady, we cannot have a robust economy that it takes interest rate hikes to slow. That ship sunk when we became more of a third world "have have not" economy.

But thanks to low oil prices and still mind numbing but better healthcare inflation. Things are looking up.

I'm all for celebrating any good news when it comes to our economy, but there is a big storm a brewing...and it ain't good. Drill baby drill has consequences one of which is a global recession.

The BDE index is at an all time low, China is in a no win situation with a $32 trillion real estate bubble about to burst, Venezuela is done at 141% inflation, and the Canadian peso..I mean dollar is dropping like a stone.

Add up all that, our staggering debt, and the death of the petrol dollar I'm not really sure how our economy is not going to take a huge hit in the next few months.

But Yay, for good news. Get gold or silver and get it...NOW!

FW, you better watch posting that kind of information. AZBullhunter will call you a conservative conspiracy advocate. Piper will tell you that you are wrong and the steady hand of Obama will smooth things right out. In fact he will be saying it as he is walking his way to the poor house waiting for his next bowl of soup.

RELH

No RELH, I work at a gold mine, no worries if gold gets hot. And the forecast is true, and even if it is, I believe it's the
big boys who are going to end up on the down side.
But I'm more in the belief that Buffet is correct and the gloom and doom predictions are greatly exaggerated.

You know Piper there was quiet a few Democrats saying that exact same thing before the housing market bubble burst knocked them on their butts.

RELH

Togwotee,

I can assure you that not all construction guys in Oregon are kicken ass. Maybe a few sectors are?, but definitely not the road, highway, and bridge sector.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-16 AT 00:42AM (MST)[p]
Hey Piper, as always I hope all is well for you and yours. I watched that interview with the Oracle as well. I agree with him when it comes to the fictional domestic economic gloom and doom statements that get generated especially in an election year.

Warren really didn't opine on the current challenges facing the global economy or the collateral damage it might have on ours.

We're talking building contractors here that's what Manny is crying about. Oregon has decided we don't need roads or bridges so we're not spending any money there I won't argue that.

If you wanted to build or remodel something today you'd have to get in line and take a number.

Overall the economy is very very good. anyone who doesn't agree needs to reflect back a few years ago. and also a few years from now then reevaluate their opinion.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

"you can find anything you want on the internet whether true or not..."

Manny, did you just say that?? Really?

And lots of people paid $1800 for gold. great investment.

Beware of anything investment brokers sell on the home shopping network.

I agree with Buffett. the stock market has it's ups and downs but in the long run it will pay better than holding shiny rock.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom