Controlled Hunt 60-1

OneMile

I drew the controlled hunt 60-1 (Units 60,61, 62A) 1-14 OCT. I've spent a good amount of time in 61 and 62A chasing elk during the November controlled rifle in the past and bear in the fall. Not looking for specific direction, although I wouldn't turn any kind of advice away. What I am looking for most are the areas to eliminate from my search as this is a huge area to cover. I hunted the antlered hunt in November of '01 and '09 and things changed a lot with the wolves and bears. If there is anyone willing to entertain some questions, it would be appreciated.

tough one to call,
The wolves have played havoc with the elk herds there in island park lately.
I would concentrate my efforts on 61 personally, when the snow flys elk come from the montana side over and head towards the desert on the idaho side. Several areas to concentrate on would be the ridges running down east dry creek, kick creek, and cowboy creek. Sheridan creek is good too, but you have got to watch out for grizzlies there. Sawtelle peak will hold some good bulls as well.
If the snow is heavy, head south of the road out toward shotgun wells area and around split butte, but make sure you are still in your hunting area. It is easy to get lost out there in the timber however as there are no reference points to go off of, so take a compose and remember which way you walk from your rig, lol.

Appreciate your reply. I chased bears in the Howard Creek area earlier this fall and had it in mind and finally decided on it based on your confirmation, but we got up there late as someone beat us there an got their's. I hear you on Sawtelle. Get turned around there every once in a while, in fact, that's the place I decided to get a GPS after spending half a day zig-zagging our way back in search of camp one year. Overall, great hunt. Lots of elk, as usual, but a challenge to find those pockets of animals. Ended up going to a spot on the west side and ran into my bull there; a small type 5 point, but a nice first bull. Not the largest in the group, but my it was my best opportunity. I finally ended my three time dry run in Island Park! Thanks again!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom