Cook your meat.

Not good. I like eating wild game rare, but pork and bear always cooked well. Never knew moose could carry it.

I had my first taste of bear meat in the 70s. I traded some muley meat to a dude who flew hueys in Vietnam. Great meat, kinda sweet tasting.

I've eaten bear meat a couple times. It had nice white fat from eating acorns. Meh.

What turned me off was seeing a skinned out bear hanging in a garage.

Wasn't it BuckSnort who ate some undercooked bear meat?

Remember when Bucksnort got drunk and ate raw bear ribs???
I got drunk and ate raw duck one time. In my defense it was marinated and sitting in a pan looking really done. At least to me. Man that was a long time ago

I got drunk and ate raw duck one time. In my defense it was marinated and sitting in a pan looking really done. At least to me. Man that was a long time ago
Well....that's cute, but bucksnort got a huge bill and very sick.....

Hey tail!

The bear meat I Ate Didn't taste That Bad!

By No Means Great!

But That Damn Grease That Stayed In My Mouth Got Old!

A guy I know renders bear fat down and his wife uses it for baking. He says they love it. I told him he probably eats the piss sack too.

I'm sure it's a matter of individual tastes and individual bears, but the black bear meat I tried had the aftertaste of motor oil--at least, what I think motor oil would taste like based on how it smells. I don't think I'll ever be convinced to try it again, but more power to those hearty souls who like that stuff.

You can make sh-t on a shingle taste ok with enough salt and pepper. That’s about what you got with bear and lion. I’m not that hungry to eat either.

Last edited:
How Many Bears You Ever Dealt With?

You're Not Getting All The Fat Cut Out Of Bear Meat!
A lot. And yup there’s a lot of trim and waste. I grind 90% of the bear and mix it with a heavy ratio of bacon ends. Makes the best sausage gravy ever.

Bears have a lot of fat. But like any wild game they carry it outside the muscle unlike domesticated farm animals we’ve breed to have marbling . It’s not hard to get to just meat

Bear meat is fantastic, just had some backstrap last week on a campfire!

I’m getting ready to go pick up my bear from the processor next week.

Cook it to 160 and you’re good to go.

Bear is great meat. You can get the same worms from pork. Just cook it right
I have believe that commercial pork, in the U.S., is free of Trichinella thanks to strict regulations on pig farming. It was a problem, historically, but any pork that you buy from a store or butcher should be Trichinella free. The main source of human Trichinella infections is wild bear or boar.

I have believe that commercial pork, in the U.S., is free of Trichinella thanks to strict regulations on pig farming. It was a problem, historically, but any pork that you buy from a store or butcher should be Trichinella free. The main source of human Trichinella infections is wild bear or boar.
Yeah, in large, but it’s still possible. Article attached here says 7 cases nation wide last year. That’s not very many. Eat some bear burgers. Their awesome

You Musta been Perty Hungry?:D

It's Not gonna Be As Good Back Home!:D
Not sure, I shoot a bear about every year and tastes good to me.

The roasts in a crock pot sure taste great.

The backstrap I marinade in soy, Worcestershire, Dijon, garlic, salt, pepper, for about 12 hours. I cooked it for 3 guys who never had bear and they couldn’t get enough. They normally just eat elk/deer and they are now converts after poo pooing it.

The backstrap I marinade in soy, Worcestershire, Dijon, garlic, salt, pepper, for about 12 hours. I cooked it for 3 guys who never had bear and they couldn’t get enough. They normally just eat elk/deer and they are now converts after poo pooing it.
Just like I said on post #27. You can make sh-t on a shingle taste good with enough spices.

Not Gonna Argue With You!

Maybe The Bears In Your Area Are Eating Something Different?:D

WRONG!

Them Damn things Eat Anything They Can Get In Their Mouths!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom