cookie hits the sacs

S

stinkystomper

since im bored I figure I could keep cookies friends up to date on what's going on. cookie started vacation 2day and hit the mountain early looking for bulls. right off the bat he spotted a bull we think we saw 2 weeks b4 th season began. he was about 800 yards and all alone. he only had about 1. seconds to look a him and could tell he had the 60 beams which are rare in the area. shortly after that he had a couple close encounters with some bears and then nothin else for a while. while movin 2 another glassin spot he spotted a 5x coming off a wallow and let him go. once back up another ridge he spotted a bull I had seen the first day that was all palmated on the left. cookie said he had tons of mass n was set up for an easy stalk up to hi and the cows. only problem was that once he got to the top of the ridge the cows had already fed off about 600 yards and he couldn't keep up and maintain cover. the rest of the bulls he saw were small 6's and raggies. said the bulls have started bugling sporatically at night but at least their runin with cows now. i'll keep u guys posted as he calls.

Keep us up to speed. Hope he gets a good one. Have a freind coming in this weekend and we are gonna be out there also.
Tell him to come by.

Thanks for the update. Got my blood pumoing a bit faster.....Hope he smokes that thick bull or the palmated giant!

You may be right about those 60 inch beams and the fact that we can't judge bulls. I shot a bull 3 years ago in unit 12 and thought he might have 45 inch beams and push 300 points. He ended up having 58 inch beams and went 372! That means that bull probably had 65" beams, haha. I will admit that I do get really excited when I see elk, even sub 300 6x's. If it weren't for elk I'd be a bum, but I gotta work if I wanna hunt.

Ha, ha, on the scoring. Up in northern NM guys see 240-260 inch bulls and claim them to be 330-350....24inch muleys are somehow 30+ as well....I'll smack a cow elk and a forkhorn buck and leave the scores to others....but someday a big sucker is gonna stand around just long enough...

Whats the word stinky. Has curtis had any close calls yet?

I will be hunting sunday with a friend.

I think this is going to be the hardest year I have ever had. I have yet to hear a bull bugle in the area I am hunting but not too worried yet. They are in there as I see them every morning grazing along the ridges and the biggest one yet now has eighteen cows with him. He is a sneaky one though. Thought I was going to put the sneak on him after he grazed over the hill at 250 yards but when I got to the top fifteen minutes later he was going over the next one. Just graing but at a fast pace. I guess the grass wasn't green enough for them! His fourth and fifths are broken but I can't for the life of me figure out how that happened. They aren't even strating to show signs yet, there's a spike still with them for crying out loud! Even with the broken points he is in danger with me. The mass is awesome.
I have a buddy I am trying to help out and I have him sitting on a water hole where I got mine last year. He sat on it for three straight days without a single sighting. On the fouth day he said screw it and stayed in camp. This was my first day back up after my four days at work. He had seen a nice bull on his way out and was trying to tell me where so we decided to just drive up there so he could show me. The bull was on the same hill along with a big bear. Tried to get pics of the bear but he was having none of it@! Jason then decided he wanted to go ahead and drive up to the water hole and see if any elk in the area. Wouldn't you know it... the nice five by five he wants to shoot had just left!!

48ca918f649ac18b.jpg

48ca925316b67f8e.jpg

Would any of you shoot him?? I think he has some awesome character myself.

Anyway back to the update. I hunted hard yesterday all day in that drizzle for nothing. I thought that I might be able to sneak up on one in his bed but I had no close encounters of the elk kind. I did have a tiny spotted mule deer fawn scare the crap outa me though. The scrub oak exploded about three feet to my left and I went to high steppin' it to my right! When I got to camp I decided it would be a good idea to just head home for a day or two and wait for the weather to clear up a little if it's going to and take it easy. I think if the sun will come back out that things will start progressing soon. Also I have no rain gear and it's quite misserable out there all day in the rain.
I'm thinking I might head back up tomorrow but not too sure yet. Stinky will probably be giving the updates as I have no signal anywhere up there!!

I'm a southern guy myself. So I know all the hype about 34 and it isnt the hot bed for big elk.I have seen a guide tell a hunter he just shot a 340 and it was lucky to go 300. But by god the hunter mounted it and talks about it being a great huge 34 bull!34 is hyped up like the next big thing and to be honest yes there is some decent bulls but it isnt all it is hyped up to be. I know people will disagree with me but I know what is there.

Cookie,

You know this Utard is pulling for you! Keep after it like you do and good things will happen. Something tells me you got something special in mind? It will happen!

Good luck and keep us posted buddy! I know how you love the stinkies! :)

more 34 260's

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-08 AT 11:31PM (MST)[p]here's just a few of some of the other bulls we can hunt but won't cuz were on to better things. I took land marks out in case cookie needs to go after that one. You never know.

48cb4f6c53878845.jpg

48cb50126a7c26fb.jpg

RE: more 34 260's

Hey Tony, I recognize that bush :)

My friend from NY will be in tonight and we are gonna hit it tomorow in the morning.

I scouted this morning and watched a bull and cows about 1.25 miles away and we are gonna go after him. Its in a real out of the way spot behind some private.

Thats plan A and after that it will be back to the play book.

Like cookie said in another post these elk are ready to get hot and when they do its gonna be fun. The other hunts i thing will do well like cookie said also. I got a young man I am taking out for youth elk and then my brother in law will be hunting out here as well for ML.

Stinky,
You kill me man seriously some of the things you say and do on this site make me laugh.

Jordan

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-08 AT 10:23PM (MST)[p]urrr...way nice pics!? Like Paul, I'm thinking that bush next to that rock next to those reeds looks kinda familiar...

Good luck, Cookie. Yes, I'd probably shoot at that one with the nice thirds. I wouldn't be apologizing for it afterwards, neither!

Hey!!! those landmarks I took out are real obvious. We are hunting close to the bottom bull. As for cookie??? We just got back in and man!!!!

Here's how it went down.
We've been sittin at home all weekend waitin for people to start talking about the elk gettin it on and reports started rolling in. We decided to go up and check it out a 3pm. We got on the hill at 5 and instantly started hearing bugles. We first spotted a 260ish 6x6 barely and 4 cows heading over the ridge. Below us were some elk w/o a bull coming towards us and across the canyon was another bull bugling (300 6x6) with about 10 cows. I noticed there was a lot of bugling coming from over the mountain about a mile or so off and told cookie the one sounded good. I told him we were going that way and off we went with cookie constantly naging me to slow down cuz he can't keep up. Finally we got over the 2nd ridge only to find we had caught up with the cows and small 6x6 we saw feed over the saddle earlier. Cookie informed me the first bull that got in range is dead. Once we cleared the ridge all heck broke loose. A monster sounding bull in the bottom of the drainage was screaming, 3 bulls 600 yards away were screaming. 3 bulls bout 300 yards away were screaming. the 6x we thought was small was screaming at about 100 yards and several other bulls were screaming as well. Well I was concentrating on the bull 800 yards away cuz he sounded huge. Cookie kept cow calling to locate the bull in front of us. We found out if you sneak through the sage the elk get suspicious. We started barreling through the sage cow calling and walked right in the middle of a feeding herd of cows. Their bull was in front screaming at another bull and wouldn't come back to the cows and we didn't have a bugle. Meanwhile the bull across the way materialize and was a very old bull. He had 40 inch beams, was only a 5 x 6 but had butt loads of mass. His tines were all about 6 or so inches in diameter almost all the way to the tips. his fronts were only about 12 inches but the beams about 4 inches behind the g4 were probably about 12 inches around. He was massive, but ugly. Then I got a glimpse of the bull 200 yards below us when he came charging up the hill. His g-4's were about 22 inches. his whales tale, aka 5th and 6th were each about 18 inches which I have never seen in the sacs. Thats all I saw from him and he hung up at about 100 yards. Then The cows we walked into got a fright as a spotted fawn took off. We simply started cow calling and started busting through the scrub oak again. This calmed them down but was bad for us cuz we walked to within 15 yards of the freakin cows. Now the bull in front of the cows sounded close. The cows finally winded us and busted out. No problem, those cows weren't the ones the bull was with. We started bustin desperately through brush again to close the distance before we lost shooting light and got to with 50 yards. we set up and tried to cow call him in which didn't work. While we waited the bull slipped off back to his cows again. Again we just started bustin through the oaks to get a look at him. Too late, all light was lost. However, I wanted to see him so we kept going until I got to a spot where I believed I could see him with my 10x42 swarovski's. There he was about 100 yards broad side. 45 inches wide. about 20 inch 3rds and 17 - 20 inch fronts, and about 22 inch 5'ths. I couldnt see the 5th's and 6th's because freakin cookie took the nockers away. Bout that time the bull turned broad side to reveal about 50 inch beams and only 6 inch 5th's. Talk about bad luck. All we needed was about 15 more minutes of light and We'd of had a stinky on the ground. Man was that exciting. I'm leavin to go back at 3am and get back in that saddle so that the elk can walk by us on the way back to bed. Also, our friend was back on the water hole below us. He has sat that hole for 6 or so days now. After he left we could here 3 differnt bulls tearin it up down there. Oh, while we were ridge hoping earlier we saw a nice 340 to 350 bull on the ridge just 700 yards from that same water hole. He had about 7 cows with him and several rag horns dogging the herd. WHEW what an evening. I think I'm done hunting the gila after this year. We got some stinkin bulls in 34!!!!!

Also, can someone help hook me up with some unit 34 muzzy tags starting 2010. I can't afford to hunt nm next year, looks like I'm sending my retirement, wife, and anything else I can sell to Utah next year. Can any one help??? thanks in advance

We got into them pretty good yesterday also. My friend could have shot a 5x5 early but passed as he is staying out till end of season. He also passed on another small bull that was growling like a old bull.

By the way we are hunting with his 8 year old, my 10 year old Zach and myself.

I hang back and scatter the 2 kids out with hoochie mama elk calls and point to them when I want them to call and I have my hyperlip that I like.

We did that to bring in the 5x5, but, mostly we hung back and let my friend go in solo.

Cant go today to much work.

I'm hoping that the fact that y'all haven't posted yet means you're packing out antlers...

Sorry guys. Just got back and no we didn't shoot anything. As cookie stated, "It's not for lack of suicidal elk". Monday night we were back in the middle of screaming bulls again. We spotted a 6x6 330 class bedded up with his cows. We decided that between him and his bugling buddies above that we had a chance. We snuck around the backside to get the wind in our face and started our stalk. We were instantly greeted by 4 cows, a spike, a 5x5, and a 4x5. All were at 50 yards. We then proceeded down the hill only to be greeted by 3 bow hunters that spotted the elk from the road and decided to make a stalk with the wind at their back. Needless to say the evening was a bust. Bulls went flying everywhere. We bedded one 330 up on the opposite hill from us and another 1 mile up the ridge from us. The next morning we went 2 ridges over in an attempt to find the big bull we had spotted sunday night. There was no bugling. Finally 30 minutes after sun up the bulls started bugling lightly. We finally spotted a 370 and a 340 bull about to fight. Neither one was with a cow, and the only cow was 400 yards away. We finally covered the mile to get on the bull. At about 70 yards the lone bull decided something wasn't right and left. We made 2 more stalks on the way out on 5x's only to have them blown. We decided to go up high last night and see if there was more action up there. Again the bulls were only sporatically bugling and all we had was a suicidal 4x4 at 22 yards for 10 minutes. We finally blew him outta there and headed for the truck. There's really still no rut as of yet. I just can't figure it out.

Ok guys here's the scoop. Kinda reluctant to say it but I ended my own misery yesterday morning.
I found a really nice bull on Wednesday morning and watched him until he went to bed in a little low spot I was familiar with so I went back to camp to go through the whole scent free routine. Shower, new scent lock suit and all. I wasn't going to take any chances on this one as I was running out of time and the bulls just weren't cooperating. I knew I had a hot cow in the mix as the little 5x5 "babysitter" had goosed her and made her get up and that's when I had first seen the bigger bull. He just appeared and was staying right with her. I figured I could get in close as the wind was perfect.
I slowly made my way in where I had last seen them and just worked the ridge back and forth looking hard with every step. They were obviously still bedded as there was no hint of an elk anywhere near. This was thick stuff as the farthest shot possible was going to be thirty yards MAX. After about 200 yards of this routine I heard an elk talking and knew this was it. I was getting close. Then I heard a cow really start going nuts. I figured this was my hot cow and I had competition for the bull now. If I could only get fairly close to her I had a chance of him coming in close. I could hear them walking around and the wind was still in my favor so I worked in a little closer and finally see a calf at thirty yards and it didn't see me so now I'm in position. I started a couple of cow calls hoping that would get him to come check out the new girl. He bugled and stated up to me, stopped to destroy a small tree and then turned away and went back to his girlfriend. I watched as they went up the next ridge out of reach. The girlfriend started making more noise than I have ever heard a single elk make. She was in a small patch of trees so I didn't actually witness the "deed" but I know what hapened next as she shut up and came back out in the open and he went right up the ridge and out of there!!! That dude was one heck of a "player"!!!
Needless to say I knew he wouldn't be back until another cow came in. It left me more than a little depressed. I have put everything I have into this hunt but the bulls were being so quiet and I couldn't even find them in the early mornings and evenings feeding. They weren't wallowing where I thought they should. Water was everywhere. It was just stacked against me in every way possible.
Yesterday morning I found the same herd again and knew where they were heading. If I could only get out in front I would have a chance at a shot. The only bull was the babysitter but I had already decided that if any elk gave me a shot I was going to take it and have me some elk steaks this year. Well, I got there and by some freak luck I was out in front of them. I was making my way towards them with the wind crossing and thought it was going to be perfect. I finally spotted a cow at 60 yards and just froze up. I knew they were heading towards me so I hunkered down and waited. Finally I see a big cow making her way to me and browsing. It took probably 20 minutes for her to get out from behind the cedar bush blocking my shot but when she cleared she was thirty yards. I took the shot and the rest as they say is history.
I don't have any regrets on this hunt except for maybe not having a camera on some of he close encounters with all the small bulls I saw. I know the boys at work are gonna give me hell over shooting a cow but none of them will even try a bow so it's just something I'll deal with. I hunted hard and had some great experiences and can't wait to try again next year. Maybe things will be different.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwooooooooooooowwwww.

Look at the size of those ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that's a shooter for sure. Don't you guys agree!

whew

48d3ec6865b1d1f2.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-08 AT 12:23PM (MST)[p]HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaahhhhhhhhhhaaa..............................
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
gasp.....................
.................HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahaha

Oh my god.. I can't quit cryin I'm laughin so hard. This is freakin hilarious. oh man. I'm still cryin.

Let me compose myself for a second

I had to of spent 3 or 4 grand on diesel for you this
year.............................

oh crap.................... I can't quit laughing ........................
crap I'm cryin again...................

it's been about 5 minutes and I'm still laughing.

lol

someone call 911 I can't breathe.

the trophy is in the eye of the beholder or in this case the shooter.all of those close call are hard to chew in dec. but those cow steaks will surely be good.we all like taking trophy animals but the truth is any taken with a bow is a trophy.JMO
but a little ribbing can be fun

icemannm

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom