Cool Things Found While Hunting

TheKnack

Very Active Member
Things you found recently while hunting or hiking. Postem-

I found this old rock fortification while rabbit hunting a few days ago. Funny thing is I have walked within 80 yards of here numerous times in the past and never noticed it.
Does not seem to ever have been disturbed and by some old rusted items seen nearby I would guess dates back to the mid to late 1800's.
Where it is located it seems it may actually be some kind of hideout for outlaws and such. At least that is what my creative mind wants to believe.
Here are some pics but the location will remain undisclosed. Would hate to have someone destroy this cool part of history.

7323113012hide1.jpg

9231113012hide2.jpg

5580113012hide3.jpg

7488113012hide4.jpg

1883113012hide5.jpg

2174113012rabbit.jpg

Best,
Jerry

Hey I know exactly where that is, down near the San Rafael. Truth is me and my 2 older brothers just got bored one day while the family was doing an easter egg hunt. Sorry to disapoint you, but that hideout was built in 1991.

Funny thing is I have never been able to find that exact ridge again . . . Guess we just did too good a job with the cameofladjee!!

>Hey I know exactly where that
>is, down near the San
>Rafael. Truth is me
>and my 2 older brothers
>just got bored one day
>while the family was doing
>an easter egg hunt.
>Sorry to disapoint you, but
>that hideout was built in
>1991.
>
>Funny thing is I have never
>been able to find that
>exact ridge again . .
>. Guess we just did
>too good a job with
>the cameofladjee!!

Really? That is funny if you are telling the truth. I would agree that if it was really old it would have been a little more out of sorts even from just weather, wind etc. It is a cool looking structure and really well thought out. I have made many such structures as a kid. Infact I just went back to one that I build when I was 11. It has not held up so well, but you could still tell.

Found this site last year. I was calling for bobcats. It was part of a bigger camp setting, but this one had been dug out underneath it and you could see the fir rocks and charcoal scar. i did not dig around much or anything but it was pretty apparent it was a structure at one point. I could actually sit up under the tree and have about 2' of space over my head. And if I laid in there it was definitely room for 3-4 people if all the walls were covered in.

camp-1.jpg

It was pretty cool...

I found a Rifle once while scouting. It was a rem model 700, 270. I restored it and have shot a couple deer with it.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Coolest thing ever found..........

For me, it was our first year hunting in Wyoming. We packed in 5-6 miles. The very first day, our only water filter broke. For the next couple days we boiled our water before drinking it. It was absolutely horrible tasting. The taste of smoke. Every swallow had me wanting to puke.
On opening day, while down off the side of the mountain just a few hundred yards off the top, I looked into the bottom of a little hidden draw and there it was, the coolest thing ever.............................................................................FRESH WATER!!!!! It was pouring out along a channeled log that a sheep herder most likely placed there. What an awesome moment that was for me. LOL I still remember to this day how grateful I was to see that water.

We ended up moving camp to be close to that water and I could again drink without wanting to puke.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-12 AT 03:47PM (MST)[p]About 10 years ago up Emigration Canyon I found a rail road spike. I was hunting the wasatch front and was in the middle of no where. The spike was really corroded. That is the canyon that the pioneers came into the Salt Lake valley from. So maybe just maybe it was from one of them....

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!" -Harry S. Truman

You can find a lot of those out in the deserts in California. I was told that they were part of the training for soldiers before they were sent to North Africa during WW11.

They would send a small squad out and they had to find a high spot and build a defensible structure and spend the night in it.

I don't know if they did any of that training in Utah.

Jerry, that rock structure reminds me of an area in northeast California. Back in the early days hunters would build rock blinds similar to that along the Oregon-California border. They were built along the deer migration route. Old timers say that they could sit in a blind and watch bucks walk by, butil they saw the one they wanted.

In that same area, I was crawling through sagebrush after a pronghorn and found a pair of Carl Zeiss binoculars. They were 1/2 buried from being there so long. They are made of brass 6X30 and it says US Army Signal Corp. I think they're WWII era. They are still crystal clear.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-12 AT 08:31AM (MST)[p]Sorry to disappoint you pookiebear but your not even close.
By the rusted items and old mid-late 1800 era bottles I would say if it had been seen since it was left it would have been picked through.
Notice the dirt and gravel they used to fill the gaps is eroded away as well in most areas on the wall.
I guarantee it is really old.
Best,
Jerry

No not really. I mean we did make little forts like that. But that thing is really well stacked. And we usually kicked ours over at the end of the day. Just thought I would raz the guy.

Sorry Jerry, but I'm pretty sure that's a bathroom for a sheep herder. They are more common in places that don't have a lot of cover. I noticed a sheep herder building one a couple years back.

I have found a ton of stuff! Knives, 2 guns, 1 gun a guy left in a camp had his name on it the other was a rusted beyond repair revolver. OH 3 guns a 22 rem 34 broke in 1/2 some guy threw in the trash, Indian artifacts, a bogwawn, Oh check this out!!

Ever find one of these?? Rutnbuck
966what_is_it.jpg

What are those things?

I found a bull elk that fell in a mine vent-tube and died. His horns hung up on both sides of the hole and his feet were dangling in mid-air. The bears had torn the ground apart trying to get to him.

G&F found a poached bear nearby and I did what I could to help them catch the guy because I had pictures of the elk and had been in the area. I don't know if they ever caught him.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-12 AT 10:17PM (MST)[p]I was hunting in some of the roughest country I have ever found on the Wasatch. In a STEEP, ROUGH, ROCKY secluded canyon, we found a flat area where the deer would bed. It is literally the only place in the area that deer could bed. It was also surrounded by huge pine trees, so the deer felt safe in the cover. Sure enough, we watched a good group of bucks bed there routinely all summer. That year I watched a monster nontypical bed there one morning. I snuck in on him and got a 70 yard shot at him but missed and the buck high-tailed it out of there. I went to look for my arrow in the deer's bed and right there was a nice arrowhead laying 2 feet from my arrow. Apparently I wasn't the only archery hunter who had launched an arrow at a deer using those beds. To this day it's my favorite arrowhead I have ever found.

5335p1020875.jpg

Found these 3 cartridges laying all together on a bald ridge here in Wyoming...Teddy Roosevelt shot a 50-90...maybe they are his???

5205p1020876.jpg

found lots of different shell casings in 40+ years of hunting

You have all found pretty cool stuff. All I found was a mountain lion eating a calf elk while the mother elk was freaking out.
5496lion1.jpg

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

That is no deer, that is a calf elk.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

I will look at all the elk pics and see if I can find a light color phase faced elk calf. Nope WoW Micky you are the first to ever film such a critter. M deer have dark forhead and light face. Good pic anyway. Great find Rutnbuck

Just by going off of pure size relationship, if that is a deer, that cat is a kitten. Yes the cat looks smaller due to being farther away but still...
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Wow, it's no wonder there are so many mis-identified animals killed each year. Remember the eastern guy who shot a llama in Montana a few years ago thinking it was a cow elk?

That is clearly an elk calf. In general appearance and in closer inspection everyone should be able to tell that it is an elk. At least I have never seen a deer with a rump like that.

I can see the resemblance to a deer in the face. But I got to go with elk considering the rump and tail.

idelkslayer, that is a funny story, I remember it :) wasn't there a circus around that llama incident about the DOW saying they couldn't issue a fine due to it not being a state controlled animal and the BLM said somethign of the sort due to it not being listed animal on their lease contract or something that they couldn't issue any fines so he went away with a "punched" cow tag...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Some interesting finds.
I agree it's an elk BTW on the one post.
Ran into a mountain lion myself this year. Freaked me out especially middle of the day staring at me in the open.
2939lion_enlarged.jpg

The critter getting eaten by the cat does have an arse of an elk. But common, at a glance it looks more like a deer. I do agree its an elk now that I've looked closer. The front hoof also says elk. My bad.

>
6006n1131n2511olc.jpg

>
>She got lost from her party
>and needed a warm tent
>to sleep in. It was
>a pretty cool find.

I found her virginity, but we lost it.

A Bowing landing gear from a bomber that crashed back in the 40's (I think it was the 40's).

My granpa has a few live rounds of .50 ammo in metal chain.

This scares the crap out of me that some one thought that was a deer. Especially after seeing it close up in a photo. Im wearing more orange and going to dress my horses with twice the ribbons.

My most memorable finds while hunting were an old .50 cal casing in the Independence Mts. of northeastern NV. During WWII, I think B-25 Mitchell bombers flew out of Mt. Home base in Idaho (I thought that might explain it somewhat). I lost a brand-new pair of eyeglasses while hunting some really thick trees one year and had no idea where I might have lost them. In this same general area a week later, I had my son with me. We paused on a rocky outcrop to have lunch when I realized we had also stopped there on the previous hunt.I told my son to help me look around in very slim chance that was where I might have lost them. The search was to no avail, so I continued to finish lunch. I noticed my son dinking around had decided to climb down the rock face, and chastised him for doing so. When he reached the bottom of the rocks, he called up, "Hey Dad, I found your glasses!" I am still amazed at this!
Several times I have located remnants of someone's party... a graduation baloon, or Valentines baloon, or multi-colored party baloons many miles from the nearest town (one set had a barely legible address from Bakersfield, CA). I have also found on a couple of occasions binoculars, hunting knives,a pack axe, and a rock pickaxe and a pair of boots still in fair shape(?). One of my neat finds was a GI canteen stamped US 1918(which has since been stolen), and a 1926 Nevada license plate still with yellow paint (several miles from established road that I could tell).

I found the Utah cabin thieving mountain man...not really but I do think I found one of his camps south east of Beaver in a roadless area this past Sept while scouting for elk. I reported it to the sheriff and gave GPS cords and they were not taking it lightly. I wish I had gotten pics but I was alone and started getting creeped out so I backed out pretty quick. There was a map of the Loa/Fishlake area, a half eaten jar of peanut butter that had been scooped with fingers, two milk jugs filled with water, some granola bars and an empty bag of Cheetos laying next to the lightweight jogging stroller holding the rest of that stuff. Could have been some other homeless dude but it took some serious effort to get that stuff in the area it was and it was all stuff that would be logical survival stuff taken from a cabin. I will probably never know for sure but none the less a pretty weird find.

Been several years back!

Back in the High Country on HorseBack!

Found a USFS Employee carving a Nakid Lady into a big Blazed Pine Tree!

I'm telling you this Guy was an Artist with not a Public Hair out of Place!

What I'd of gave for a Camera at that time!

This wasn't no 5 minute Carving!

To say He was a little Nervous when I snuck up on him would be an Understatement!

When I left I told him to carry on,I'd check the finished Product later!:D

You can bet your Sweet Ass he was only carvin on his Days off!:D:D:D

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

I have found knifes. I have found a lot of 50 cal BMG brass. I have found a loaded chain of 50 BMG. Lots of rock structures like the one above. Tons of arrow heads and spear points. And a wrecked plain. Ron

I found a gut pile once...only there was a wallet on top of the innerds with a Michigan DL and over $600 cash in it. Figured I would just mail it back to him.

Came down out of camp the next day to have a burger in town and, yup, there was a truck there with MI plates pulled in about the same time as me.

I made it a point to set next to them and just listen. Sure enough, one of the guys there was getting ribbed about the others having to buy his lunch. He was pretty happy about getting his stuff back.

I found a trip wire set up once in Southern Colorado; some fella was growing some pot on USFS property. We backed out of there pretty quickly.

Was out running in the woods once during the summer I lived in Eureka and found lots of pot plants...Humboldt Home Grown I guess.

Here are a couple other places where folks have posted similar threads.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/hunting/70261-strange-things-found-woods.html

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=148441

I found a good 12 gauge shotgun in a parking space on public land, someone leaned it against the truck and forgot about it and drove off. Even had a few free shells in it!

Not hunting, or fishing, but sorta.

Many years ago I got to participate in some July SAR jumps near Bass Lake, outside of Fresno. Most of us camped out on the shores of the lake just for the fun of it.

Anyway, the exercise ended on a Friday afternoon and some of the guys went home. About six of us stayed, mostly to drink beer and camp out. A couple hours after the sun went down, we were sitting by the campfire when we noticed a boat drive by really slow, towards a 'corner' of the lake not readily visible. Not quite a quarter moon that night.

They cut the motor, so the crew chief and I gave it a few minutes, then got our masks/fins on and decided to swim out just to see.

Turns out it was a couple having sex. My buddy and I stuck around for the show, then when it was over and they both had their legs dangling over the side, we started clapping.

yea, it was funny.

Fished a very old shotgun out of the Sevier River. Found this old wallet. Found numerous pre-historic sites. Best thing though for me was an old 10,000 year old fluted spear point. Also found 2 artifacts that must have been religious tokens. As for Jerry and his find. Pretty sure those are prehistoric blinds that were also used later by Cowboys.

Knack
In southeast CO there are a lot of those in canyons. They were from sheepherders in the mid to late 1800's. It gave them a temporary home while their sheep would graze down a canyon. Once a pasture was grazed enough, they would just move on to the next canyon. The following year, they would have a place already built in those places. That is what I've been told by the landowners who's families have homesteaded. Since I wasn't there though, it's just another idea.
If I was an outlaw, I would want a hideout where I could defend my back as well. That guy would be screwed as anyone could just walk up behind him.

Old binos......totally ruined from exposure.
A box of blasting caps, lost by the Forest Service trail crew.
A dead horse skeleton with a saddle still on it.
LOTS of Indian artifacts....which I never keep, of course.
Several wallets on roads where some ATV rider lost them. All returned successfully.
Luepold spotter in a case......which I got back after a year, when no one claimed it from the Sheriff.

Strangest thing ever however, was a complete campsite; tent sleeping bags, pads, water, beer and brandy. Canned food, cookware, and 6 year old newspapers and magazines. Fishing gear, lantern and fuel.
BLM never even went in to check it out.
Looked like someone just got up one morning and walked away, leaving EVERYTHING they took in.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-12 AT 10:16AM (MST)[p]Not found but had something odd happen this year while filming Elk..... I had settled in at the edge of a meadow to wait for the evening acivity to start. It was a beautiful, calm day, no wind. All of a sudden I hear the sound of a tree starting to fall upslope from me. I turn around in time to see it hit about 20 yards away. Kinda spooky to be that close to a falling tree. The weird thing is about a half an hour later I heard another tree fall 300 yards away straight across the meadow.I've seen plenty of trees drop on windy days but never on a day as nice as this one, and to have two go in the same day had my imagination running for a bit..... Terry

I once thought I found an arrowhead but it was just a rock someone had chipped to be shaped like an arrowhead

Slightly sober I remember you saying that you’d found remains once, in an area that you camped as a youth

Some of those hides was made along time ago for the guys that only had spears and bow and arrows to ambush deer and elk found alot 303 casing in one we used.

Not hunting, or fishing, but sorta.

Many years ago I got to participate in some July SAR jumps near Bass Lake, outside of Fresno. Most of us camped out on the shores of the lake just for the fun of it.

Anyway, the exercise ended on a Friday afternoon and some of the guys went home. About six of us stayed, mostly to drink beer and camp out. A couple hours after the sun went down, we were sitting by the campfire when we noticed a boat drive by really slow, towards a 'corner' of the lake not readily visible. Not quite a quarter moon that night.

They cut the motor, so the crew chief and I gave it a few minutes, then got our masks/fins on and decided to swim out just to see.

Turns out it was a couple having sex. My buddy and I stuck around for the show, then when it was over and they both had their legs dangling over the side, we started clapping.

yea, it was funny.
bet it scared the hell out of them when your heads popped out of the water. Could make a guy go limp......just sayin

DH53, I still laugh about this. He was mad as he could be and kept trying to find us.

I miss those flights, especially during the summer. Hippie chicks near the parks Yosemite and Sequoia) were not shy about showing their stuff.

Yes they was called hides back in early times. I guess it was what you did in them was hide from the things you wanted to kill.
I use one on South Peak in SE UT watching a saddle where deer and elk crossed(50yds downhills) when hunters pushed the bottom of the Mtn they use this trail for a escape route.
I found alot of old 303 shell casing in the bottom of it I figured it got used alot times. Last time I was there the casing was still there.
I hope this helps you understand the idea behind the reason they was used.

The most recent find last week. 4 inches of arrow and a broad head in the scapula of a bull elk in a WY bull. It had scar tissue all around it, must have been 1-3 years ago the bull was arrowed.

I have been fortunate and found lots of cool old stuff in the woods. I was working across a familiar basin this fall and walked through a patch of timber lower then usual. I stumbled on a really old collapsed cabin and mining site. It was extremely well hidden, so it was untouched from what I can tell. Sitting outside was this old coffee thermos. The bottom says Landers Frary and Clark Pat November 10 1915. These guys got bought by Stanley so it’s the original Stanley thermos. Pretty cool
F20B8FCF-8F68-4CD7-B96B-DF95E67DDDD6.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom