Copper plated powerbelts

dgwoody

Are copper plated power belts legal in Idaho? I've got a .54 cal and can't find any pure lead powerbelts in stock anywhere. I've got a muzzleloader elk tag that starts in a few weeks. The regs say pure lead, which the bullet is, but didn't know if the copper plate violates or not. Thoughts?

It does ya have to buy pure lead. I bought these at sportsman's but mine is a .50 Cal. Should say pure lead right on the packaging
46621img20191103122752017.jpg

Pretty sure it says non copper plated projectile.

Hornady Great Plains have worked very well for us over the years, my son will be using them on his upcoming muzzy deer tag.

>Thanks for the responses and that
>link. That helps a bunch.
>

No problem. Let us know what ya ended up going with. I'm always interested what people are using since we're so limited to lead only.

Stay away from the Powerbelts. They're garbage in my opinion. Shot an elk with one a few years back and when I shot him, I thought I missed as he showed no sign of being hit. I waited 30 min anyway and went to check for blood. Ended up tracking him a long ways and finally found him bedded but still alive and had to finish him off. The original hit was right in the vitals and nearly perfect and yet he still traveled a long ways with almost no sign of being hit. Luckily I had a decent bloodtrail to follow in the snow. If you follow some of the other muzzleloader forums, there are many similar experiences on the PB's. Perhaps the jacketed or copper ones are better but we can't use them here. I use the No Excuses now. They group as well if not better with the right load. They're less expensive and they're more lethal. Might want to order some quickly though to work up a load for your hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-19 AT 09:53PM (MST)[p]>Stay away from the Powerbelts.
>They're garbage in my opinion.
> Shot an elk with
>one a few years back
>and when I shot him,
>I thought I missed as
>he showed no sign of
>being hit. I waited
>30 min anyway and went
>to check for blood.
>Ended up tracking him a
>long ways and finally found
>him bedded but still alive
>and had to finish him
>off. The original hit
>was right in the vitals
>and nearly perfect and yet
>he still traveled a long
>ways with almost no sign
>of being hit. Luckily I
>had a decent bloodtrail to
>follow in the snow.
>If you follow some of
>the other muzzleloader forums, there
>are many similar experiences on
>the PB's. Perhaps the
>jacketed or copper ones are
>better but we can't use
>them here. I use
>the No Excuses now.
>They group as well if
>not better with the right
>load. They're less expensive
>and they're more lethal.
>Might want to order some
>quickly though to work up
>a load for your hunt.
>

I had the exact situation last year but never found the bull and I did end up shooting it twice within 24 hours of each shot. I don't wanna see you have the same sick filling I had when ya shoot an elk with a p.b. I had great luck with them on deer but not elk. I'll be using the no excuse bullets from here on out.

You won't go wrong with them,I actually met the guy on a deer hunt and it was funny to see his reaction when I showed him what I was shooting out of my knight .54 and he said those are my bullets. I said oh you use them too and he replied, sure do , I made them

Legal in everyseason but archery and muzzleloader only. ?

Very soft lead with a hollow hole that is too big. Junk...

As a follow up, I ended up borrowing a .50 cal from a buddy. The .54s were too much of a hassle to track down

Don?t use the hollow point Powerbelts. I use 405 grain with the solid point and have never had any problems from antelope, to deer, to elk. I had a buddy who lost an elk shooting the hollow point 348 grain I believe. I would stay away from those for elk

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom