core lokt .......

hntnfsh67

Any opinions out there on the retention qualities of the core lokt bullet. I'm round I am shooting is a Remmington 130 grn pointed soft point out of my .270 A-bolt. Reason I ask is I just switched to this round due to the accuracy. My rifle is a tack driving machine on the range with this round.

I hit a good size blacktail buck last weekend inside 80yards and the bullet seemed to break up not causing much damage.

Any thoughts?

Matt
"Opportunity is missed by most people
because its dressed in overalls
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

I've used core-lokts in both my .338 and .30-06 in the past, and had good performance and results from them. Definately not my first choice of bullet, but not a bad bullet. If your looking for a bullet with a similar design for accuracy, you might try the Swift Scirroco. Now there's what I'd call a real good bullet. That's all my buddy shoots, and after seeing the bullet performance on his buck this year, I'm sold. Also look at Nosler Accu-bond. All can be had in factory ammo. Scott

The old core-lokts were terrible about breaking up or very fast expansion and blowing the shoulder off of a deer. I have heard that they have improved them for better penatration, but have not used them. Like you, my Son's 30-06 loves the core-lokts and will shoot 3/8 inch groups with them. I would try and confine them to heart-lung shots and you should be fine doing this.

RELH

Thanks guys,

I appreciate your opinions. I'll be at the range all weekend trying a couple of your suggestions. If the core-lokt breaks up on a blacktail I don't want to see the result of a shot on a big 'ole muley.
Thanks again.

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

The old ones were probably the worst bullet ever made, I don't know about the new bonded ones.

I have to disagree with huntindude. My father, brother and I used Core-Lokt bullets in .30-06 and took dozens of animals from bull elk to antelope. The Core-Lokt is an excellent bullet, although not meant for the new high velocity magnums. If it shoots well, use it with confidence. Nothing in my freezer ever said they didn't work. mtmuley

Tony,
No I never have tried the ultra, have you had good success with them? I really like the core lokts on the range. My browning is a freakin tack driver with them. I used to shoot 140 grain boat tail soft points and really liked them. Too hard to find in my area so I switched. Those BTSP killed a lot of deer, muleys and blacktails. After what I saw from the core lokts a couple weekends ago I am disapointed.

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom