Core-lokts suck!

Pre64

Very Active Member
Just kidding. Found one that didn't exit.

Picture030.jpg

.308, 180 grn. 2680 fps, 30-06, bout 200 yrds, elk. Now weighs 105 grn. I should note that I would not use these bullets at higher velocities, higher being subjective.

Thought I'd share.

I bought 2 boxs of 150 grain Remington Core-lokts for my 300 WSM earlier this year and will never buy them again. They grouped pretty good out of my rifle when they actualy fired. Out of the two boxs I had 4 miss fires with them. The firing pin hit the primer but there was no BANG. I have since shot about 100 of my own reloads and 20 Federal Fussions without any problems. I'll never buy a box of Remington Core-Lokts again.

400bull

I loaded my own. I wouldn't use 150's, especially on elk and especially at magnum velocities.

They worked just fine for me out of my 7mm rem. mag. The buck I shot this year with them went straight down. They also work very well out of my 25-06.

IMO cORELOKTS ARE THE BEST "CHEAP" bullet you can buy. I've probally shot over 30 boxes through my .270 and never had a misfire and most deer i shoot drop in there tracks!

I have been shooting them out of my Tikka 25-06 and they group really well. I've shot a half a dozen or so deer and only had 1 pass through all at under 100 yards????? I haven't lost a deer yet and recoved several of the bullets from the hide on the exit side. All in all I am satisfied but the penitration has me wondering. Anyone else had this happen?

Yes, with a 270. But that is what they are designed to do, more or less. I've shot elk at 200 with the above load and had complete pass through leaving vital soup. But, that's a 180 grain bullet going much slower than your 25-06 is probably going.

I find it interesting, and I am caught up in the bullet craze myself (at least until I found the Accubond I was), but hunters that aren't aware or simply don't care about the newer "super" bullets, load rifles of numerous different cartridges with the Core-Lokt and seem to kill a boatload of big game every single year. mtmuley

Yes they do mtmuley but it's mostly a numbers game b/c so many use that bullet.Alot of game is killed with a .30-.30 every year too but that doesn't make it the best round for every application.

Alot of game is also lost because improper bullets and/or cartridges are used too.

My brother lost a great 6x6 elk b/c he hit its shoulder with a deer bullet-despite me sending him a list of bullets that he should pick from before the trip.(But,hey,Wal-mart didn't have them so there you go.)It was a costly lesson....

+1 on the Accubond-I think it is the closest to an "all around" bullet there is right now.

Interesting as I've gone to ABs quite a bit myself. I use the core lokts in this application simply because the rifle likes them. ALSO, I think the published BC for the 180 grain CL is optimistic. I'm about 3.5" high for a 200 yard zero. The BC for the ABs seem to be right on with my software.

I'm trying to think of a bullet that claims to be a hunting bullet I find less interesting.

Y'all remember those Remington "Silvertip' bullets(or was it Winchester)? Those things were just an accident waiting to happen IMO.....

24 years of reloading cor lokts in a .270 (130) and not one lost head of deer or antelope when I hit the critter. This must be near 50 - 60 animals with bucks, does and speed goats. Never shot an elk with one.

Shot an antelope with 150 gr core lokt out of a .300 win mag and it blew a scary hole out the off side with bullet fragments throughout the cavity.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom