cost for custom gun?

blazingsaddle

Can anyone run some numbers past me on what it would take to build a custom rifle?
I have seen as high as 8000+ down to 1500 bucks.
I have been throwing the idea around for a while but thought there is no way I could justify the cost on one.
Whats the best way to go about finding out what I'm up against? Who or what companies would anyone recommend?
I do not need nor want the best of the best- I am wanting just a level better than the average rifle.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Depends on whether you want a show piece (safe queen) or a hunting rifle.

If you already have an action, figure $300 for a barrel, another $250 or so for the chamber/install. $500 for a fiberglass stock, $100 for a trigger, Voila...custom gun.

I have a few customs, but I will never build another unless it is an oddball chambering. My Tikka T3 will shoot with the best of them, and can be had for less than $600!

He answered correct, tell us more of your general ideas and we can help. "Custom" is a very general term and lots of different meanings/ideas depending on who you talk to

I have had 2 built in the last 10 years. I supplied the action and went with features I thought would improve accuracy but put zero effort into reducing weight or adding anything to make the gun easy on the eyes.

I spent about $1200 beyond cost of the action for the .308 and about $1800 beyond cost of the action for the .338 Win Mag. I got the actions at gun shows by bargaining for beatup, rusted, pitted, re-blued, muzzle breaks the size of corn cobs crappy guns for well under $200.

My advice, do not cut corners on the trigger action.

I like accurate but at the end of the day only need one or two calibers to reliably kill anything on the planet so am not a gun collector. I put money into optics, though, since figure that is even more critical if hunt wide open spaces like in the West.

LAST EDITED ON May-26-10 AT 05:12PM (MST)[p]I had my dream gun bulit by Brad Stair @ now Wasatch precision arms . There web site is www.wasatchprecisionarms.com .They have prices listed on there web site. I love mine . If you are in the SLC area you can stop by there shop .

If you supply the action you can have one custom built by this guy http://www.precisionriflesales.com/ for $2100 and it will shoot as good as the ones that cost 8K. Cost includes squaring action if needded,match grade barrel throated and chambered to your specs, jewel trigger, your choice of stock with aluminium bedding block...skim bedded, remington bottom metal, stock cut to your length of pull. I'g go with a stiller or borden action if you can afford the xtra $750-$950 other wise a remington 700 for $400-$500 will do the trick. Ray built me a 6.5x284 and it will shoot 1/4 to one hole groups at 200 if I do my part.

I'd also look at Mcwhorter rifles. He builds a sweet rifle. http://www.mcwhorterrifles.com/GunRackPages/GunRackMain.html

Honestly though, unless you plan on shooting beyond 500 yds a plain jane remington model 700 with some trigger and stock work will shoot the lights out with the right load.

Mike

What do you have in mind? I have a few semi custom guns and a few fully custom guns that may be for sale. I've also got a few dang nice factory guns that shoot great as they are-especially the Sakos and tikkas. Got a caliber in mind?

>If you supply the action you
>can have one custom built
>by this guy http://www.precisionriflesales.com/ for
>$2100 and it will shoot
>as good as the ones
>that cost 8K. Cost includes
>squaring action if needded,match grade
>barrel throated and chambered to
>your specs, jewel trigger, your
>choice of stock with aluminium
>bedding block...skim bedded, remington bottom
>metal, stock cut to your
>length of pull. I'g go
>with a stiller or borden
>action if you can afford
>the xtra $750-$950 other wise
>a remington 700 for $400-$500
>will do the trick. Ray
>built me a 6.5x284 and
>it will shoot 1/4 to
>one hole groups at 200
>if I do my part.
>
>
>I'd also look at Mcwhorter rifles.
>He builds a sweet rifle.
>http://www.mcwhorterrifles.com/GunRackPages/GunRackMain.html
>
>Honestly though, unless you plan on
>shooting beyond 500 yds a
>plain jane remington model 700
>with some trigger and stock
>work will shoot the lights
>out with the right load.
>
>
>Mike

LAST EDITED ON May-27-10 AT 07:36AM (MST)[p]I'm a die hard archery hunter- maybe only 10% of my hunting is done with a rifle. And I know very little about what can be done to a rifle and really what the benifits are of each process. Honestly, I don't know where one could skimp in the process, I do know the value of great optics and a good trigger.
I shoot a winchester model 70 in a 7mm STW now. I know it is accurate enough to kill anything I can hit at reasonable yardages. Its an average rifle at best, and I know there are many "better" setups. When I bought it, it was the only gun chambered in the STW at the time. Not to mention, it has a 26 inch barrel. It drives me nuts.
The two calibers I am debating between are staying with the STW or going to the .270 short. I am looking for a better all a round setup.
This would be a gun that I could shoot till the grave, I do not collect or see the need for more than 2-3 different hunting calibered guns in my safe. I have the a good varmit gun, now I am working on a better big game gun.
I am weighing the cost vs use?
Thanks for the help so far-

I have a win M70 in .300 WSM that I sent to Hill Country Rifles in TX and they did a wonderful job.

I had a bunch of unneccesary extras done (cerekote, carbon stock, camo dipped stock, scope, rings, etc) But the accurization service (lapped barrel, rings, improved lug lock up, bedding, etc) made my groups from 2.0 inches at 100 to .5"

Bill

From what you said there I would say don't do it and if the barrel length on your current gun bugs you have it cut and re-crowned. I often say that a custom hunting rifle is a waste of money.....but there accuracy is very addicting and they are all I will have. Its kind of like you can kill everything there is with a long bow, but many archers crave the newest, fastest, and best new bows every year. Ask your self which you are. Given the calibers you are thinking I would stay STW, but its such a personal choice.
You can re bed your current gun, turn the trigger down/adjust for a better pull, and re load to get the most out of what you have and see if that satisfy your needs or wants, then maybe hava different barrel put on.
There is a bunch of reading on the below link and he is one of a bunch of smiths that are hard to beat.
http://www.gretanrifles.com/

Blazingsaddle:

The whole basis for a custom gun is a custom barrel. You can get the twist you want, length you want, and weight you want, and they usually shoot and clean better than factory too. The rest is just addons.

For example, I wanted a 280 Ackley with a 26" barrel. Since they don't make a factory rifle with those specs, i had one built.

Now if I just wanted a 30'06 with a 22" sporter barrel, i cannot see going the custom route. You can buy one of those at Walmart.

There are a few guns made that won't cost you an arm and a leg and will give you great accuracy. I'd suggest a Nosler custom ( Nosler Bullets) that's made to their specs and they have several models to choose from at different price points $1700- $3000.00. Another company I'd recommend is Cooper Arms they have a good reputation and build some good guns and they can make it functional and beautiful and it'll shoot $1700-$3500.00. HS Precision is another to consider because they make it all in house and are a little more expensive than the other two at around $2400-3500. The advantages with these guys is they are built right the first time and they're not through the roof on pricing.

You got some good advice & recs above from others about accuracy and the semi custom route etc. Sako, Remington, Weatherby, Winchester, Kimber all make models that will do the job and will shoot well with a little tweaking in some cases but some will give you very good accuracy out of the box with the right ammo. If you go this route make sure who's building your gun for you because it's your action they're working on. There are many fine smiths that do this kind of job and have good reputations.

Then we come to a different level Bansner will build you a gun that'll shoot with the best of them and Rifles Inc has built a few shooters in it's day on factory & custom actions. Borden, Hart, and Kenny Jarrett can build you something that will shoot better than you can. McMillan will build you a hunting rifle with the finest componets you can buy for around $4700.00 that will shoot with the best guns made. Everyone of these guys & companies top to bottom all will build you a functional synthetic stocked hunting rifle on their action (except rifles inc they don't make actions) you'll have until you die and your kids will fight over when you're gone.

Its a lot to take in, thank you all.
I have my trigger done and have worked up a load that my gun likes, but its that craving that it could be better that makes me want just a better fit, without going overboard.
I can't help but think if I spend 2000 on a rifle its better than a rifle that cost 800?
thank you all again-

The only thing more frustrating than a $800 gun that won't shoot, is a $2000 gun that won't shoot...you never know.

Some builders offer an accuracy guarantee and usually give you a load or loads that work & stand behind their product. If the customer can't make a gun shoot it's not the builders fault. Accuracy is a relative issue for most people. A lot of the folks mentioned on this thread will build most guys the most accurate rifle they've ever had and they're usually pleased with that. But spending $2000 and not getting a gun that will shoot isn't a good situation you're right 4000. All the more reason why you need to know who's building it is reputable and use the products they tell you they're comfortable with. That way if you have an issue they'll be working with vendors that will work with them to get you taken care of.

HS Precision. My hunting partner and I have numerous "customs". The HS Precision is the best for the $. They run about $2500-$3000 and .30 caliber and down has a 1/2" guarantee. They truly shoot better than that! I would recommend the mercury slugged stock in the big magnums.

My advice: Weight Weight Weight!!!

If you are a hunter first and a shooter second, that likes the idea of having a custom gun that shoots well, think about keeping the weight down to under 7 pounds with scope.

I guarantee you that you will enjoy hunting with a lighter gun as you get older. Light or heavy, a good quality custom outfit will shoot much better than you need for hunting purpose.

The heck with those #3,4, and 5 heavier barrels, think weight and have something that is a pleasure to carry as it is to shoot!!!

my $.02

Joey

Hey saddle,
sounds like you have the same rifle as I do. I've got the STW Mod 70 winchester. Does it have a wood stock and blue barrel? Why don't you sell it to me so you can get started on your custom rifle? Let me know if you want to part with it.
DeerBeDead

My stw is stainless with a synthetic stock, muzzle break and an adjusted trigger.
If you are interested PM me. I may want to part with it.

Like a posted said prior, a nice lightweight gun is the ticket in my book. I have heavy guns, but after one hunt with a lightweight rifle, and the heavy guns now sit in the safe.

SPL=6.9 pounds w/22" barrel

PHL=5.9 pounds w/22" barrel

PHL is only short action.
SPL is either long or short action.

Longer barrels on either available.
Like I said earlier, hands down best true custom for the money.

I have been thinking about getting a light rifle for a long time. Got a Sheep tag this year so I just ordered a HS Precision 300 WSM. 5.5 lbs. It will be right at 7 lbs. with scope and sling. Can't wait to carry it into the Mtns. I have been hunting with Custom 300 RUM which weighs a bit over 10 lbs. with scope. 3 lbs. is alot when putting in alot of miles at 10-13,000 ft. A wise friend told me that we carry our rifles alot more than we shoot them so why not carry a light one. 1/2" gaurantee is awesome.

No BS, if you don't like it I will take it! Like I said HSPrecision is the best/money/accurate true custom all day long!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-10 AT 11:17PM (MST)[p]There are a ton of gunsmiths out there , but you need to do your home work. Some are better then others. There are also companies that sell pre built "customs" such as Christensen Arms, McWhorter , and Grey Bull to name a few. These pre built "customs" are way over price in my opinion. You can get the same thing for a lot less money by buying the parts yourself and having a good gunsmith put it all together. I just received my second custom rifle. My first was a disappointment and was sold without firing a shot, but I learned a lot during that build. My first custom was built by someone who is supposed to be one of the top builders of long range hunting rifles around, but when I received the rifle the fit and finish left a lot to be desired. Customer service was also less then I had hoped for, no phone conversations just email. Even then there were numerous mistakes made ie; rifle built on wrong action, barrel cut shorter then I wanted etc. For the second build I chose Chad Dixon , owner of LongRifles Inc. http://longriflesinc.com/ . I followed his posts on other forums and spent hours on the phone with him prior to sending him all my parts. The rifle I received is exactly what I was looking for. The fit and finish is unbelievable, and I'm sure it will shoot better then I can. It was built on a Borden Timberline action, Bartlein barrel, McMillan Edge stock, Jewel trigger, and Seekins rings and base. Chad does ALL of the work himself from inletting the stock to finish rifle. Total cost was $3700 including having a custom reamer made for my specific cartridge dimensions. After researching I found it was cheaper to buy a custom action then to buy a donor Remington action and have it blue printed. A donor action will cost around $300+ then blue printing will add around $600 + or - depending on how extensive you want to go. My Borden action was $935. Total weight of my rifle is 8.4 pounds with scope ready to hunt. I could have saved another half to 3/4 of a pound by going to smaller contour barrel but I wanter a more rigid barrel so I chose a #4 fluted finished at 26". If it gets to the point that I need to shave weight I'll leave my lunch at home. Good luck
Wes
DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_00732.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

Rifle1.jpg

Rifle7.jpg

Rifle4.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

Rifle6.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom