Cougar Zone B CLOSED!

Looserowel505

How does the game dept close a zone so huge so fast ?Zone Bis units 5,6,50and 51!!! Actually the real question is why is the harvest limit so low for area so big with so many cats ? 25 total or 8 females and the dept closes at 10% of limit. THATS WHY THE DEER NUMBERS ARE HURTING SO BAD! FRUSTERATING !!! Wheres the conservation???

How does the game dept close a zone so huge so fast ?Zone Bis units 5,6,50and 51!!! Actually the real question is why is the harvest limit so low for area so big with so many cats ? 25 total or 8 females and the dept closes at 10% of limit. THATS WHY THE DEER NUMBERS ARE HURTING SO BAD! FRUSTERATING !!! Wheres the conservation???
I kinda said WTF as well!
Same with bear units!

8 females were harvested. Houndsman need to hold off on the trigger and give the females a pass and hunt longer for a tom, can kill more cats that way befor the unit is closed right. I agree with you though there’s lots of lions and they do hammer the deer population big time.

4 years ago the qouta changed and went from close to 100 cats to around 30. This year when the rule opened there was little to no public comment. There are so many lions now due to low harvest numbers. The same qouta will be in effect for the next 4 years. We need change!!

It’s cuz the game department is run by the same democrat liberals running this state. They don’t give a chit about the hunters, all they care is to appease there liberal
Federation and environmental groups.

Well obviously cats this time of year are where the deer and elk are at which is the winter range, so when a big buck or bull are spotted the temptation to kill it is there. Plus if you have a cat tag in your pocket you will more than likely will have a rifle, firearm or bow in your truck.

Pull a Utah and go to open season. That change was slipped in last minute and I was very opposed to the lack of public involvement. I am actually starting to like the change. That being said, I only know one person who shot one while hunting this fall.

My buddy works there and said he spoke to the lion biologist and that his response is that theres less lions then people think and way more deer in units 5 and 6 ,50 and 51. Said the dept did a study and it showed there was not that many lions . But there is NO RECORD of recent years lion study in NM. Conservation at its best , from behind a desk from people who fill a position just for a paycheck rather then the wildlife of our state with zero concern of our states game animals . 10 more years of this and there will be eve far less deer and elk ! Mark my words...

He is definitely wrong about less mt lions, I recently cut track on 3 different cougar on a small piece of private in unit 5...

I've been out the last few weekends looking for lions in open units of the north and it's tough to find a lion track these days. Talking to other houndsmen it's getting more and more difficult to cut tracks regularly. I can see both ends of this fight.

Hunters are shooting the first cat they tree to avoid missing out on harvesting this year. If only everyone would pass on females maybe the season would last past the first snow.

8 females were harvested. Houndsman need to hold off on the trigger and give the females a pass and hunt longer for a tom, can kill more cats that way befor the unit is closed right. I agree with you though there’s lots of lions and they do hammer the deer population big time.
Only 4 females were harvested as the closing.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom