Could you survive

4x4elk

With out your electronics? While in Moab this past week I noticed something I think is disturbing to me. Clearly marked trails in and out the people I seen were marking every turn and turn off on their gps's. I understand using them in the high country were there is no trails marked but when in a place as marked as well as the trails in Moab why use them?

My question to everyone here is if you were in the back woods and your gps went dead and no batteries available do you pay enough attention to your surrounding's to get your self back out or would you be a search and rescue statistic? or Let's just say in an everyday enviroment cell phone or gps on board of your vehicle would you be lost?

To answer this question for me when I leave home with out the cellphone no I do not go back for it and in the back woods I do not rely on the gps unit yes I do use it but I also make sure I know where I am by land marks not saying I have not been lost or turned around before, but I do not rely totally on that electronic device!

laters 4x4 PS yes I know I need to use the spell check more than I do!

Using a GPS for a marked trail is sorta like buying a 4WD and never taking it off pavement, don't you think?

TRUE CAelkjewels...When I started going out of state all I had was a Silva Compass and that was it along with my maps and a rifle. These days there is everything to make it easy while out there.

Now watch Eelgrass come here and say something different. LOL

Brian

I own a GPS but haven't figured out how to use it. I have gotten turned around, lost, twice in my days afield. Both times, i was in timber and it was snowing and i missed the rig by less than 200 yds on my return but didn't see it.

Usually, there seems to be a built-in compass inside me that always points North or tells me which way i need to go to return to camp. I do carry a compass, check direction when starting out, and re check when making a major direction change or taking a breather. Has worked for me, just need to pay attention a bit.

Using the GPS even when not needed can teach you how to better use the device. Also giving you the confidence to "believe " what it tells you.
Of course overuse leads to not paying attention to where one is and a total reliance on your electronic GPS.
Kind of a catch 22.

I've only really started using a GPS in the last couple of years. With my GPS, I'm reasonably comfortable hiking into some unknown area in the dark and likewise hiking out in the dark. To me, hiking around in the dark is the biggest advantage of the GPS. I also use the GPS to mark fence crossing points and corners of private land so that I avoid trespassing. BG (before GPS), I had to hike in unfamiliar territroy during daylight hours, and had to make sure I was reasonably close to making it back to my truck by dark. BG I did occasionaly get turned around in the dark when in unfamilar territory.

But in answer to your question, yeah, I could survive without it. Just go back to my old ways.

I have a GPS but mainly use it when I go out on the Bay in my scull boat. When the fog comes in I can row directly back to the boat ramp. Without it I used to row due east until I hit land and go from there.

I wish I had a GPS back when we deer hunted in Modoc Co. CA. Rolling hills and Junipers in all directions. It wasn't uncommon to go out on a three hour hunt and be gone three days!:)

Eel

I don't have one and don't plan on ever getting one.

I'm like sageadice, something inside me tells me where I am.
I don't have any problem going anywhere, in any state.

I simply pay attention to where I'm going, and where I came from.

I have more faith in myself rather than some gadget powered by a battery, and guided by a satellite, what if you lose it, break it, drop it in a river, the batteries die, or whatever?

That's my take on 'em.

Well ? here is the deal. I've never been lost, but I've sure been in situations that I didn't know where the truck was. As far as I'm concerned GPS is the greatest invention of my lifetime in terms of saving time and getting to where you want to be. Another use is if you are out in the boonies with your hunting partners ?. You can get on the 2way radios and set coordinates to meet at and it makes life a little easier.

Yes! 15 years ago we didn't have all these electronics and got by just fine. 15 years ago you didn't have your stupid computer and wouldn't be reading my stupid post either.

RUS

I own a gps, but I still believe common sense terrain association skills and a good 7.5 minute topo or online equivilant is the best tool, especially when used with a gps. Unforunately, common sense and basic intelligence seem to be running short among Americans lately. If you can't take UTM or lat/long off a GPS, and plot yourself on a map, then....follow the gps arrow over the cliff, etc.

I am a map junkie, I like exploring new country and my gps has become a good friend while out hiking, but when I'm out with the nephews I will costantly be asking them to point to the truck or ask them how we get back to camp. My dad would do that to me and my bro when we were little, It's always good to have a back up plan, batteries will die at the worst time.........

I've never owned a GPS. I am REAL good with topos and find my way around quite well. This last year (during a week-long back-country trip) it took me about an hour to convince my brother to follow my directions and forget the GPS.

Something was "messed up" with his GPS, because ignoring it saved us a long walk in a snow storm....instead we got to sleep in a good tent with good bags.

Our mountains are not to be "disrespected", but yes, I could survive.

A GPS is just another tool, just like spotting scopes, rifle scopes, polypro underwear, chemical handwarmers, quads, cellphones, zero degree sleeping bags.......you get the picture.

Most of these things we use today, to make hunting easier and more enjoyable, were not available 25 years ago; we got by without them.

Are we better off with them....you bet. Can they fail? No question.

If you plan to be in an outdoor environment where stuff can go wrong, you are an idiot if you are incapable of basic survival skills and you even left your house.

As far as using a GPS on roads or trails - I use mine to drive the roads here - many turns - many dead ends ect. Mine does incoporate the topo data which has the dirt roads - and sometimes use it to chart new roads.

Not sure about the whole turning it off and on - it the truck it stays on.

As far as while hiking - yes i could get by very easy.

Eelgrass is right, my dad in his younger years hunted Devils garden (lava beds) and he said he only went out once without logging tape.
He said you could get off the road a couple hundred yards and get lost pretty easy if you were not paying attention. You had better be headed back to the pickup when the sun started to go down.

I personally believe, that U.S. American hunters are unable to do so and get lost, because, uh, some people out there don't have maps. And, uh, I believe that if we did have gps and maps,
like, such as, in the South Utah and the Idaho and the Asain countries that it will be able to help build up our future for our children and they won't get lost, like, such as in the Iraq,
such as.

That was the dumbest blonde in the history of earth! I use my gps because I have a lousy sense of direction. I also carry map and compass and know how to find my way out. I took my 4 year old grandson out looking at tracks and had him pick the fork three times on the return and he never missed so some people are naturally endowed to survive IMO.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom