County Road 129 Moffat/Routt

N

newtoot

Is anyone familiar with County Rd 129 Moffat/Routt? It's N of Steamboat/Craig up near the WYO border. It can be accesed from N of Steamboat (just past Columbine) OR from WYO 70, 20 miles E of Baggs by turning S on 710 which turns into 129.

I'm trying to determine my "best route" to get to Three Forks for my RFW hunt on the 31st. I know how to get to 129 but don't know the "Best" route, going in thru Baggs or going N of Steamboat. I think I have the mileages worked out OK (about 75 miles futher going to Baggs and over but if road is better that way I would gladly go that way. but wonder about road conditions, NOT just weather related but that too. When I was up for archery antelope, I tried to make a dry run but the road above Columbine was closed due to logging caused by beetle kill. I am familiar with WYO 70 and HiWay 13 but not county road 129. Thanks Ray

Where are you coming from? The gravel road between 3 forks and Columbine can get pretty beat up, and not so great when wet. The folks at 3 forks should be able to tell you the condition of the road over the top to Columbine. 129 is a great drive if the road has been bladed recently, or in nice weather. If its wet or hasn't been bladed for a while, I alway go around by Baggs.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-11 AT 11:14PM (MST)[p]I wound up with a very nice 5 pt bull elk. Hunted at 3 Forks Ranch RFW hunt. I went out Sunday evening. Saw 4 elk and a big bear. No shots. Back out again Monday morning. Drove in about 12 miles, then walked about a mile. Heard several bulls bugling. Seems very unusual to me but they were bugling. Then I saw a spike and a cow. I was almost ready to shoot the spike but didn't. Then the big bull appeared. He stood behind a big tree with his vitals completely covered by the tree. I could see part of his head and his horns. After about five minutes, he finally took a couple steps. His shoulders were then exposed. With my gun resting on a Primos shooting monopod, resting sideways against a tree, I fired. One shot is all it took. The guide shouted, "You hammered him". He ran about 50 yards even with a .338 250 grain handloaded Nosler Partition which took off the top part of his heart and pulverized his lungs. Nice bull, great ranch and outstanding people to help out an OF like me. I also made it out before weather hit this morning. I was up till midnight last night and spent 6 hours today butchering. I still have to grind the burger. Will try to post pics later. Thanks Ray

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom