Couple archery antelope.

12ring

Over the years I’ve read and learned a lot from so many forums. Hunting forums, sports forums, archery forums, even bbq forums. In the past 5 years the traffic on the forums has dried up. Even the kill pics and stories are gone. I guess it’s all on Instagram now and I don’t have social media. I’m tempted to get Instagram so I can see all the hunting stuff.

I don’t think attentions spans (including mine) will allow long reads so I’ll make it as quick as I can. I’m not good at that though.

We drew this unit 6-7 years ago so we had an area we knew holds goats. I was at my daughters softball tournament Saturday morning so my buddy hunted solo and set up a blind on some water he found that was out of the way. He sat it for a few hours and had a buck come in. He shot him and called me. I was a hour away so I told him to wait for me. He got out of the blind and videoed a little bit of the blood trail and there was a ton of blood but he jumped him at 50-60 yards bedded.

He waited the hour until I got there and we started on the blood again. It was a very easy trail to follow. I kept saying he has to be right here. The sun set and a few minutes later the buck stood up at 82 yards. He then bounded off line he was fine. We could see the hit and agreed it was a liver hit. We left him over night to jot push him out of the country. Not sure if it was a good idea or not because in the morning after about another 200-250 yard track job we found him but he was completely devoured by coyotes. It’s the first time it’s ever happened to us. He was bummed but tagged him and I started hunting.

We saw a few bucks but they were bailing when any vehicle was with in a mile. Rig workers, two other hunters and us were in the area. I decided to sit water around 1:00.

It had to be 120° in the blind but I wasn’t going to open the wit because it’s to easy to see in there. I was sweating so bad. I set up my phone to record out a triangle in the window and I shot out a bigger window. I videoed coyotes, buzzards and a doe that came to drink.

At 6:15 a few does and a buck came by. They didn’t like the blind and were skiddish. A few does stayed at 125 yards but one doe and the buck worked their way In. The water was 30 yards from the blind. At 47 yards the Buck was broad side. The doe he was following wouldn’t commit to the water. She started to leave so I knew I had to shoot. I took the shot and the hit felt good. I watched him haul ass behind the does. They all went behind bushes but only the does came out the other side and I could see dust coming up from behind the bushes.

I text my buddy to come to the blind. While he was coming I watched the video and could see it was a really good hit. He was broadside and I hit about an inch lower than the tan and white line and 2” back from the corner. Weirdly the arrow deflected and exited back a little then deflected again and exit right if the animal. My buddy got there and we tracked him 175-200 yards before finding him. We took pics, quartered him and went to camp.

My buddy gets all the credit. He found the water and set up the blind. I was basically just the archer.

Sorry. That ended up not short at all.

IMG_2037.jpeg

IMG_2018.jpeg
IMG_2040.jpeg
IMG_5735.jpeg
IMG_2042.jpeg

Very cool! Nice goats! I'm hoping I'll have my first pronghorn tag in the next couple years. Seems like a fun hunt, archery pronghorn

That was actually the entrance hole. I shot a 100 grain 2” SEVR. It’s the first animal I have shot with it. I was impressed. I have a January barbary hunt and I think I’ll use them for that hunt as well.

Dang that was the entrance ! Holy cow, I just purchased those same heads and am giving them a try this year. Congratulations on a couple of awesome goats, good work.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom