COVID and our fall hunts...

chipc

Very Active Member
Obviously there are far more important things to be concerned with now but hunting (and thinking about hunting and planning for hunting , etc, etc...) is a major distraction and stress reliever for most of us. So, what do you think the odds are that this will have an effect on our fall hunts ? Many of us have to travel. Many have to stay in hotels, eat in restaurants, many could still be unemployed, etc... I've been making maps and planning for my Arizona early archery (September) Elk hunt. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm starting to think "what if ?".

I have the same what if feelings as well. However I do think at this point it’s too early to tell.
I talked with Systems Consultants. They are the company that does the Utah draw. They said that the draw will go ahead as planned.
Not sure what Colorado Parks and wildlife is doing.
I’m beginning to get concerned about the Nevada draw also. I know that Ndow is shut down but not sure about Kalkomey at this point. Hopefully they continue with the application and draw plans as well.
I think if we slow the spread of the virus that it will eventually die out and go away. Hopefully sooner than later.

I will only be hunting Utah this year. The furthest I hunt away from my home is 1.5 hours drive. I stay at my home when at all possible. Keeps the wife happy and doesn’t make her feel like I’m gone ALL the time. I have a big camp trailer to stay in when driving back and forth every day isn’t practical. This won’t have much effect on me and my family.

this virus is the reason I’m not hunting in other states however. There’s just too many unknowns at this point to plan that far ahead and drop a bunch of unrefundable money. Points only for that reason.

now if this swings into next year, that will be an issue due to an Africa trip me, my wife, dad and brother have planned.

Unless I or a household family member actually gets the virus, it won't affect my hunts at all. I haven't hunted or applied for an out of state hunt for 54 years and I live within 90 minutes of any deer, elk or antelope hunt I draw here in Utah. Additionally I own a home in Magna that my daughter and family lives in, so if I draw a moose tag, I'll have a 4 hour drive to Magna and a 45 minute drive from there. No motels, cafes, camps, camping fees, guides, airplanes or public transportation!

No change here. I also had a project moved from March to October, but I have 8 weeks of vacation, so they can fend for themselves. I have a Colorado elk tag for the 1st season that should have my name on it as well as a couple elk tags for my grandsons.

Oh You Still Might be Hunting!

But For a Different Reason!:D

This Ain't Directed at You Bob!

But Maybe there Will Be some Truth in that 'I NEED THE MEAT' statement you've heard alot of JOKERS Boasting for many years!

If this country/world is so messed up that we can't hunt in Sept, I doubt hunting is something we'll be thinking about anyway.

It hasn't changed my plans as of yet. 6 states down 2 to go. I have a truck camper so i'm 100% self sufficient. Already scored a good Utah cwmu tag, should draw atleast 1 new mexico tag, and a montana tag, at minimum. It will be nice to leave Maryland for a month and not have to talk to anybody if I don't want to.

I put in for deer, elk and antelope for Colorado. Preference points as a first option, and a tag as a second. Will likely draw all three tags. Just hope I can go!

Fortunately none of the hunts we do are on state parks.

We're going if we draw, and probably still will if we don't.

Can’t say what it will do to us all financially. We’re all gonna take a hit. Some will go out of state to hunt, some won’t be able to. Not saying it won’t, but I can’t see this going into September/October.

90996890_1463706623810280_9165909291444469760_n[4173].jpg

Plan stays the same. Apply and see what is drawn. By fall will need an out either way. Even my out of state hunts if drawn are within 6-10 hours.

Should be able to finance what is drawn. All DIY hunts/wall tents. Need to enjoy the outdoors, family and friends.

Plus my freezer should need restocking by then. Sure glad to have a full freezer at this time.

If this country/world is so messed up that we can't hunt in Sept, I doubt hunting is something we'll be thinking about anyway.
Wrong. If that's the case, I'm going on my first Sheep hunt! I heard Trump say that wild mutton is good for the Chinese virus :D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom