cow elk shot in the face

Insanity

So who's the moron who shot a cow elk in the face on gentle band up payson canyon? Stuff like that gives us hunters a bad name. Not only does it look bad when ya do that but when she runs off with an freakin arrow stuck in her face it makes me sick to my stomach.

Shhiitt Happens!

Just ask the Stick Flippers!

Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-13 AT 05:43PM (MST)[p]Probably some stupid a$$ shooting at 110 yards! I'm sure they'll be along shortly to say it's skill.....probably aiming for the eye and the elk blinked.

No matter what weapon is being used there are still going to be ignorant, uneducated people who are gonna do dumb things and take stupid shots. No reason to group the archery hunters into one big group, heck there was a local here who shot and wounded 4 different forkies on the rifle hunt last year and the longest extent of the search of these was 15-20 minutes. There will always be stupid hunters and the only thing you can do is try to educate them better if you have the opportunity. Now on to the 110 yard shot remark, the technology we have in archery today is unreal, 100 yard shots are not necessarily hard and are the same exact as shooting 20 yards. The only difference is arrow trajectory and there is formulas and computer software that figure that out for you, I'm not saying its the best possible shot because human error is a factor as well as natural factors also. All this taken into account there are a lot of guys who are accurate enough with a bow out to and past 100 yards that you're probably going to see a lot more of it. You're going to see a lot more stupid stuff happen as well because there will always be disrespectful, ignorant, uneducated hunters no matter what weapon they have in there hand.

>No reason to group the
>archery hunters into one big
>group,

Um, it ain't a bullet sticking out of it's head.

>Now on to the
>110 yard shot remark, the
>technology we have in archery
>today is unreal, 100 yard
>shots are not necessarily hard
>and are the same exact
>as shooting 20 yards.

Wow.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-13 AT 11:46PM (MST)[p]"100 yard shots are not necessarily hard and are the same exact as shooting 20 yards"

...ok

>Um, it ain't a bullet sticking
>out of it's head.

I understand that. It's the exact same as when I see them with no lower jaw, or the lower jaw hanging from there head during the rifle hunt, is it not?. Im not justifying the head shot with archery equipment, Im just saying its not all archers that choose to take those shots so please don't group all of us into that category. I am sick of hearing people say that all archers wound animals and are bad for hunting when in reality no matter what the weapon there will be wounded and lost animals.

>>Now on to the
>>110 yard shot remark, the
>>technology we have in archery
>>today is unreal, 100 yard
>>shots are not necessarily hard
>>and are the same exact
>>as shooting 20 yards.
>
>
>Wow.

Please explain to me other then distance how they are different? would you not take the same approach at taking both of the shots?

Ignorance at its finest.

Whats the difference between shooting a rifle 100 yards and 1000 yards? Do you not practice the same hold, breathing techniques and trigger pull at those differences? The only difference is the trajectory of the bullet. Same with archery equipment, you're bow hand doesn't change, your draw doesn't change, your pins and aiming stays the same. There is just a different trajectory. I don't expect you all to agree with me. Im just trying to help you guys understand that with the tools we have today making a 100 yard shot feels the exact same as taking a 20 yard shot.

Have rifles and muzzleloaders not become easier to shoot at further distances due to advances in technology and in advances in the tools you have to use with them?

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-13
>AT 11:46?PM (MST)

>
>"100 yard shots are not necessarily
>hard and are the same
>exact as shooting 20 yards"
>
>
>...ok

Practice, Practice, Practice. Its amazing what technology and a little hard work and practice will do. I never expected you people to agree with me because I see so many close minded people on this forum. I usually just lurk to check out pictures but thought I would try to shed some light on the 100+ yard archery shots. Obviously that was a bad choice and should've probably realized that most of you would not be able to comprehend that its not a big deal anymore to be able to accurately shoot a bow out to 100+ yards. I never said I agree with taking those shots on animals, I just said that its not necessarily hard, when the times comes to send the arrow on its way, the only difference with an experienced shooter that has spent his time practicing those shots is the arrow trajectory.

Stick Flippers will be Boasting 200 Yard shots by next year!

Yes,other Weapons ranges will increase too!

I'm waiting for the "SMART" Cartridges to show up that'll be Good for 3,000 Yard Shots!:D:D:D

Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D

100 yard
>shots are not necessarily hard
>and are the same exact
>as shooting 20 yards.

Really? So you can shoot the same size groups at 100 yards as you can at 20 yards? Same size groups at 1000 yards as 200 yards with a rifle? How about wind? Ever seen an animal jump the string at 20 yards? How much flight time is there and how much reaction time do you think they'd have at 110 yards compared to 20 yards?

Of course you wont shoot the EXACT same size group, I never said that, but its very doable to stick every arrow you shoot in a pie plate from 100 yards with practice. I stated in my original post that there are natural factors that have effect on this shot and I also said that I don't necessarily agree with taking that long of a shot on an animal because of those natural factors. Do long range rifle shooters not compensate for the wind in there shot? This may seem mind blowing but some people actually practice shooting there bow in the wind and can compensate for the wind. Anyone who practices enough will be able to figure these things out. You underestimate what someone can do with archery equipment. Just because YOU can not do it doesn't mean someone hasn't been out there putting in the time shooting thousands of arrows and is capable of doing it. Im just trying to get you to realize that with the bows we have today a 100 yard shot with someone who spends time practicing is very doable and they can be very accurate out to 100 + yards.

And now with the reaction time thing, Yes I've seen animals jump the string at 20 yards, and yes they have longer to react at 100 yards then 20 yards, that logic is elementary. Of course they have longer to react but will they have the opportunity to react if they do not hear the bow and don't know anything is going on? Have you ever taken the time to think of it that way? Im very confident that if the animal is unaware of your presence, comfortable, and with the sounds of there immediate surroundings, water running? other deer walking next to them stepping on brush, weeds, etc? wind? them chewing on there food? with the newer bows that are very quiet on the shot, I don't think they even hear the bow shoot from that far away to be honest with ya. I have seen people take this shot on animals and the deer did not flinch through out the entire process of the arrow leaving the bow, It did not move until the arrow was out the back side sticking in the ground. Once again I do not necessarily agree with taking those shots but thinking outside the box will help you realize that not all of the immediate ideas or judgments of these shots may be dispelled by simple logic.

With the setup I am shooting right now combined with countless hours of practice I feel comfortable shooting, during practice, out to 130 yards and am very effective at that distance. I never said I would take that shot on animal and I do not plan on it. But my bow is very capable of making that shot. I know it might be hard for you to open your mind to the idea that with some of the newer technology and a little practice that it really isn't that difficult to make a 100 yard shot. When it comes down to it, like I said in my original post, there will be ignorant, uneducated, disrespectful hunters that take stupid shots no matter what the weapon. There will also be those hunters who have put in countless hours of practice to master and hone their skills and they will be able to make some of those shots that are harder and require more experience and skill. Just open up your mind to this idea and realize that not every person can be put into one category. Its ignorant on your part and I think as hunters we are all trying to accomplish the same thing but yet we are always against each other because of some little formality, what weapon we shoot, what animals we hunt, what brand camo we wear, how much our rifle or bow cost, trail cameras, etc. Educate yourself on these things, don't be so quick to judge or be defensive, be respectful to other hunters, you do not have to agree with everyones opinions but opening your mind and continuing to try to learn from others is very beneficial. Try it out sometime and maybe someday YOU too WIll be able to and feel confident taking those shots. At the least realize that there are people who are capable of doing it and 100 yard archery shots are a thing of the past.

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-13
>AT 05:43?PM (MST)

>
>Probably some stupid a$$ shooting at
>110 yards! I'm sure they'll
>be along shortly to say
>it's skill.....probably aiming for the
>eye and the elk blinked.
>

Foreman4x4, after reading this thread, I would say your prediction was pretty much right on.

Couple of years back while we was at the archery range. I watched a guy shot a pop can at 100yds 4 time in a row with his bow, So I got to say it can be done. Now I don't know if he could do it with a BH, but he was pretty good with those field points and I wouldn't want him shooting at me.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>Of course you wont shoot the
>EXACT same size group, I
>never said that, but its
>very doable to stick every
>arrow you shoot in a
>pie plate from 100 yards
>with practice.

Minute of pie plate, That's something we should strive for.

>>Of course you wont shoot the
>>EXACT same size group, I
>>never said that, but its
>>very doable to stick every
>>arrow you shoot in a
>>pie plate from 100 yards
>>with practice.
>
>Minute of pie plate, That's something
>we should strive for.

C'mon, don't you know shooting at 100 yards is exactly like shooting at 20 yards?!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-13 AT 03:49PM (MST)[p]>Minute of pie plate, That's something
>we should strive for.

C'mon, don't you know shooting at 100 yards is exactly like shooting at 20 yards?!

Apparently to you guys just hitting anything at 100 yards is unheard of, let alone any human being able to shoot 6-12, heck even 24 arrows in a row in a paper plate with a diameter of 8 inches, Last time I checked an area with a circumference of 25 inches would suffice in killing an animal. Can we at least agree on that? Do we need to discuss what diameter and circumference are as well?

Haha having a conversation with you guys is like conversing with small children. And shooting 100 yards IS the exact same as shooting 20 yards, If you would crawl out of your small little box you would be able to grasp this idea (at least I hope so but it's not looking very promising). Lets try one more time shall we? The person shooting the bow goes through the exact same motions to draw his bow back, aim, and release the arrow @ 100 yards as he does @ 20 yards. The only difference is distance and arrow trajectory. Do you comprehend?

I'll go back to lurking because the know-it-all gang is after me and can't deal with learning new things or agreeing with someone. Im outnumbered and I'm accepting defeat, you guys win, but you cant say I didn't try to help ya. I mean of course we all know that no human can accurately shoot a bow out to 100+ yards and they most definitely can not place an arrow right in the bread basket of a deer and expire his life.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID6/24506.html#.UiZXvmQ57U0

What was I thinking? Time to go LOB some 100+ yard arrows at some animals and say a short, but dinner table approved prayer while the arrow is in flight, that I can actually hit one, wish me luck, I'M GONNA NEED IT!!!

As distances increase there are two little things that are constantly on my mind: WIND, ANIMAL MOVEMENT!

I've shot a bow out to 100 yards with very effective results.... ON A TARGET. I've shot a rifle way past 1000 yards with surprisingly effective results..... ON A TARGET.

When in the field, my mind always comes back to those two little, yet important, influences: WIND, ANIMAL MOVEMENT

This is why for most hunters the ranges should be kept at a moderate level.

Let your ethics be your guide.

Zeke

Jestanw1,

You will never win an argument with the ethics sheriffs group on here. To these sheriffs an animal has to be 20 yards away with all 4 legs hobbled, no wind, and a net surrounding the entire area so the animal can't run more than 30 yards after the shot.

Reality: animals get wounded when hunting them because people are launching dagerous broadheads and bullets at their bodies. Any time this happens there is a chance one of many variables will occur and the animal will be wounded but still live. This is reality and it does happen and nothing is changing with that.

I have a 95 yard pin on my bow and shoot is accurately. With minimal wind and a somewhat level shot opportunity at an animal I will take that shot all day long. My bow setup now shoots better at 70 & 80 yards then the bow I retired shot at 40 yards. "Technology".

Also, I shot and killed a 194 inch buck last year at 650yds with hard blowing cross winds in a canyon. This is because I have a new rifle and scope setup that allows me to dial in my turret, estimate my MOA for windage and sqeeze one off. I wouldn't have taken that shot in years past before I had the "technology" to accurately shoot that far in wind without guessing. The buck went 20 yards and piled up because I blew a hole in his vitals. I couldn't have closed the distance any further on this buck and if I hadn't taken that shot (as you sheriffs would say is unethical) there is no way I would be able to see that buck on my wall every day and remember that hunt.

The only reason I mention this is because as Jestanw1 has tried to get you ethics sheriffs to understand, if you have the right technology, a shot from 100+ yards with a bow or 600-800 yards with a rifle can be made very accurately if you practice and know how your equipment performs at those distance.

If you are shooting a 15 year old bow and alluminum arrows then I say 40-50 yards should be your ideal shot. With the new technology I'd put someone shooting 100yds up againts those old bows at 50 yds any day.

But then again if I waited for the perfect ethical shot that the sheriffs would have approved of there wouldn't be as many nice animals hanging on the wall.

I would bet the guys that are wounding most the deer are shooting less than 50 yard shots and are probably the types that don't practice and just fling arrows at every two point they see off the road. They are small deer hangin near roads and that is why people are probably seeing them more often wounded. The people practicing enough to feel comfortable with a 100yd shot are probably less likely to wound an animal than the forky hunters.

So your bow shoots so fast that it maintains the same energy and momentum at 100 yards as it does 20 yards? Your point of impact at 20 yards will be a horizontal movement whereas it will be more vertical at 100 yards NO MATTER YOUR SETUP!

The biggest problem is some of us CAN SHOOT 100 yards... We are just better hunters than you folks and we GET CLOSER. THAT'S THE FUN ANE EXCITEMENT of archery hunting.

The second biggest problem with taking long shots is that it shows the uneducated and unpracticed dopes using their ancient/cheap equipment to take these shots that require up to date technology.

>As distances increase there are two
>little things that are constantly
>on my mind: WIND, ANIMAL
>MOVEMENT!
>
>I've shot a bow out to
>100 yards with very effective
>results.... ON A TARGET. I've
>shot a rifle way past
>1000 yards with surprisingly effective
>results..... ON A TARGET.
>
>When in the field, my mind
>always comes back to those
>two little, yet important, influences:
>WIND, ANIMAL MOVEMENT
>
>This is why for most hunters
>the ranges should be kept
>at a moderate level.
>
>Let your ethics be your guide.
>
>
>Zeke

+1, plus personnally I enjoy testing my predator skills against the prey's at closing the distance :)
One of my greatest memories is having a whitetail sniff my gun barrel. Pretty sure that is a guranteed kill if I wanted it :)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

" I shot and killed a 194 inch buck last year at 650yds with hard blowing cross winds in a canyon. This is because I have a new rifle and scope setup that allows me to dial in my turret, estimate my MOA for windage and sqeeze one off"

what a ******** gem thit quote is!Let me guess, A cracker jack yardage turret "As seen on TV"? Stinks of ignorance, so i'd bet the farm on it...What reticle?

>" I shot and killed a
>194 inch buck last year
>at 650yds with hard blowing
>cross winds in a canyon.
>This is because I have
>a new rifle and scope
>setup that allows me to
>dial in my turret, estimate
>my MOA for windage and
>sqeeze one off"
>
>what a ******** gem thit quote
>is!Let me guess, A cracker
>jack yardage turret "As seen
>on TV"? Stinks of ignorance,
>so i'd bet the farm
>on it...What reticle?

EASY REDDOG!!!

You haven't heard of the New Self Wind compensating Reticle that'll shoot around corners at a 1,000+ yards?

By the way!

They ain't made by ZOS!:D

Best Watch Out!
My Arm is starting to Hurt!
I'm about to Itch it!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom