Cow Elk Unit 48 or 49

R

rkurelowech

Thinking about buying a leftover cow elk tag for unit 48 or 49, becaue I'll be hunting deer in Region M. I know there is some BLM on both units. Wondering which unit would be my best bet to catch a cow on BLM and if if some one could give me some pointers. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks for any help your willing send my way.

This is the third time now that you've asked the same question and I already answered it honestly and the best I could. Unit 48 is almost all private property or BLM land that is not legally accessible and your chances there are less than 10% for deer or elk. About the only place you might run into elk on accessible public land in 49 would be up near TenSleep over east toward the Rome Hill Road (436), which is the north and eastern boundary of 49 as the road turns south over near the Girl Scout property on your map.

Topgun,

I appreciate your info, but I was hoping to get some info from someone local to the area. Someone that is in the area year round. Someone that might have a little more insite into maybe a walkin area or a HMA unit that might hold some elk.

I see some of the walk-in's and HMA's list elk in both 48 & 49, and I know you guys fill your elk tags, so I'm sure going to try and find them.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-11 AT 10:30PM (MST)[p]Rob---I'm just trying to give you information that you're probably not going to get from anyone else. I've been out there in M for two or three weeks almost every year since 1994, have covered almost the entire Region, and have also hunted the walkin and hunter management properties you're talking about. There are basically no elk in the entire Region once you go west of a line from TenSleep south and going west through all that BLM land all the way to the western boundary over by Worland. Unit 48 to the south is almost all on the 100,000 acre Orchard Ranch, which is leased by SnS Outfitters out of Casper, or a couple other ranches that block most access to the rest of the BLM land in the unit. That's why all of those licenses are leftovers in the units. I go in the RV park/campgrounds in TenSleep on a regular basis for a shower and I have NEVER seen a person in that campground that has taken an elk. The reason you see elk listed on the F&G website is because there are elk in the unit and not specifically in the walkin or management unit itself. You can go ahead and buy a tag and I'll make a deal with you that if you fill it in 48 or 49 in the short hunt you're going on that I'll pay 1/2 the processing fee. That's how sure I am that a person with no experience out there has little to no chance of filling it!!! It's no deal over in 47 because that's about the only area I haven't covered thoroughly in Region M because most of that area is a LE deer unit (#37).

PS: Just in case you didn't read this post from another member regarding M:
Jul-02-11, 02:48 PM (MST)
"RE: Deer Region Y or M???"
Topgun thanks for the info. I know that region M is difficult as I have hunted there in the past. Think I will put in for Y and do a scouting trip in mid Sept. as we have a trip planned for no. CO then.
Have you hunted region Y before? Also, do you live in Worland?

TIA,

Jim

Hey TopGun,

I don't see how I can loose on that bet, other than being out the price of the cow tag. I ususally debone my elk in the field and pack the meat in the cooler on dry ice and head for home and cut it up myself. But if your willing to help with processing, I'll take you up on the offer.

I've been battling some health issues for the past 6 years and hunt every hunt like its my last. I didn't expect to still be hunting 6 years later after my treatments and thank god for each year that I get another hunt. I'm always thinking there won't be a next year for me!

I'm going to be buying a cow elk tag, I just haven't figured out which tag. If you would just tell me which elk unit you're shooting all your elk in, it would be a great help.

I've talked with the Biologist and got a few tips although not real good tips and I'm still torn between 48 and 49.

RJK

RJK

You are as hard headed as I am my man, LOL! I've already told you where to go if you're bound and determined to spend your money on a tag, so reread the threads. Seeing as how I'm not even going to win anything on that bet, except maybe the opportunity to say "I told you so" when you get back home, there is not much more I can do for you. However, I'd like to know how you are going to give that kid information asking about unit 114 type 2 antelope tags when you've never been out in that whole area and I have been countless times. How about sharing that information with me in a PM since I've been helping you so much?

TopGun,

Sent you a PM about the goat 114-2 and Dead-I!

When you going to tell me which elk tag you hunt 48 or 49?

RJK

I already have if you'd read what I posted and/or emailed you! I guess the next thing you are going to ask is what tree to sit next to, LOL!!! Incidentally, shooting goats off a tractor the farmer is driving for you over in 114 by Worland like you mentioned in your email ain't my cup of tea or what I would consider hunting.

TopGun,

I was just stating how upset the farmers are with the goats that someone would offer that kind-of-help to an unknown hunter. Not really my cup of tea either!

He wasn't talking about shooting/hunting off the tractor, just taking a hunter to the part of the property on the tractor where the goats frequent. The goats are used to the tractor and wouldn't bolt to the next county like they would if a hunter in blaze orange tried to walk across the flat as a pancake field with no cover for thousands of yards.

Those tags are issued only to help the farmers keep the goat numbers down and keep the goats out of their crops. Nothing wrong with that. I've got farmer friends just down the road, who loose thousands of dollars yearly to crop damage. Farming is hard enough without having the extra headache of crop damage.

Getting to a hunting area on a tractor is really no different than a guide driving you up to an meadow in a 4x4 F250 and dropping you off for the evening hunt right beside a wallow. Also, not much different than the road hunters, I see every year on their quads and side-by-sides running up and down every road, two track and even places where there are no trails.

Shooting a goat off a barley field is no differnet than shooting an elk going to an alfalfa field. The biologist told me the Elk 49 hunt starts earlier than 48 because of the damage to alfalfa fields around TenSleep.

Didn't mean to imply that YOU were going to do that! I just meant that it wasn't my cup of tea, just like hunting goats out of any kind of a vehicle or any other animal as far as that goes. IMHO they should be issung crop damage permits with as many animals as they have in some of those fields over there. They could easily issue a lot more doe tags for those fields than the number they are if people want meat and to save their crops. Crop fields is really what that whole area is over there like I mentioned to you in a PM and IMHO it's not really hunting, but rather just going out and shooting livestock. That's why I didn't recommend it to someone who is looking to go to Wyoming for what I would consider a classic antelope hunt and vacation because you sure aren't going to get that over along the river in 114 by Worland! The comment you made about the cow season dates is true, but try getting on one of those fields for less than $750-$1000 to shoot a friggin cow. It's ridiculous, just like I mentioned in a post when you first asked the question about paying someone a decent fee to access private land. Other than over in that ag land where the deer and antelope are more like domestic stock, you are going to pay dearly for private property access out there.

Listen to top gun... area 49. They just added area 46 to 49 to make it even larger. Lots of public access.

Wyoarcher,

So a elk 49 tags is good for 46 also? I wasn't aware of that.

Hey TopGun who is the best processor or the best meat locker to hang my elk?

RJK

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-11 AT 07:39AM (MST)[p]That's not quite right! They eliminated 46 and made the north half a part of 45 and the south half part of 49. That's why I said to hunt up there in that area in one of my posts referring to Rome Hill Road. With the new part added on you can actually go up into the forest and it does enlarge the public area for you to hunt. Lanes Processing over in Worland is where we take any animals that we don't process ourself. There is also a new guy that opened up a couple years ago out on the northwest side of town that is supposed to be pretty good (don't know the name)along with a place up in Hyattville that has been up there a long time. Those are the closest places unless you go over the mountain to Buffalo, as far as I know.

TopGun

Do you have credit with any of these butchers? Hey, I just sent you one more question via PM.

Thanks for the help.

RJK

Got the PM and sent you one back. After that PM with about as much information as I've ever given anybody, if you get a cow please don't send me a bill. I've now done damn near everything but shoot the sucker for you, LOL!

>Got the PM and sent you
>one back. After that
>PM with about as much
>information as I've ever given
>anybody, if you get a
>cow please don't send me
>a bill. I've now
>done damn near everything but
>shoot the sucker for you,
>LOL!

Topgun are you backing out on paying for the butcher???

270---You lost me completely on that one! What do you mean about not being right on this one? If he gets one, I'll probably pay up, but like I said earlier, I've done everything but shoot the dang thing for him, so I think he should just process it himself like he always does, LOL!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom