Cracked stock help

idahoguy

I just bought a Thompson .54 Newenglander and it has a crack along the stock. I understand this is somewhat common and can replace the stock. I will be using it in a couple of weeks and want a fix that will get me by. Any ideas I would appreciate.

Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-12 AT 02:52AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-12 AT 02:51?AM (MST)

I have used hard wood dowel and epoxi to repair a couple of stocks.Try to get some epoxi in the crack and then pin it with the hard wood dowel with epoxi.Clamp it in a wood vice for a couple of days to dry good .One 30-06 has held now for over 10 years.

Pretty much what Whiterock stated, either do it yourself or take it to a gunsmith for $40. get a syringe with a good glue and inject what you can into the crack. Put a clamp on it for a day or two and then drill down thru, across the cracked area, tap the drilled hole for a long screw. Install the screw and then take a small dremel tool and grind away the head of the screw so it is flush with the stock. I would use a brass screw if you can get your hands on one. Never anymore problems with the crack spreading and lasts forever.
BB

Tc will replace the stock for free but your under the gun so to speak for time. I cracked mine last year right at the lock screw on the left side. I took off the barrel and used a dremmel to hollow out the back side. I also hollowed out the crack. I then drilled through the top of the crack in a couple places. I used accura glass to fill the crack and hollow area. Then I poked as much as I could down into the holes I drilled. Then I used brass nails and drove them into the holes I drilled with the accura glass in them. I wiped the accura glass over the end and smoothed it out. It has held up to 460 gr conicals very well. When Photobucket is back up I will post some pictures. Where do you live? Ron

I live in Twin Falls. I called Thompson's and they said they no longer carry that part but they gave me a couple of websites to look at and try to find one. I did not ask about a lifetime replacement though. I did use some two part epoxy on the cracks and then I screwed a small plate to cover both sides of the crack and hold it together. I shot it today and it worked well. I am new to this and would love any advice on cleaning, maintenance, etc......

Thanks

Austin

I was going to off to give you a hand fixing it. Sounds like you got it done. I live in Buhl. Ron

piece of wet rawhide and sinew worked wonders 200 years ago...still works today..MAKE IT LOOK AUTHENTIC!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom