Craig Area ?

sageman

Well?now that things have setteled down after last winter,is anyone seeing many animals?Changed thire view about what to expect for the upcomming season?Whats your forecast compared to last year?

Well I was out their in March and things didn't look to good. I'm going to another area this season. The hunting was not that good the past two years. Way too many hunters.

A friend of a friend drew a RFW bull tag for Blue Gravel Ranch (Craig area). He went up to the ranch a couple of weekends ago to talk to ranch personnel about how the herd made it through the winter. Based on the info he received, he turned his tag in to the DOW and got his points back.

.........Apparently the news wasn't good.

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

I talked to the Meeker DOW today.They said the winter kill was normal for that area.Maybe a few less calves & fawns but should be a good year!Good hunting.....Jim

Sageman

I hunted near Craig last year, my brothers and I we were done second day of the second season with three nice 4x4s'. I have read so many posts on this site about what units are the best and what units hold book deer. I will tell you what I think, if you are willing to hunt, I mean leave the truck at dark thirty and walk acouple of miles from the roads. You can kill a good buck in any zone in the state. I think the hunting in the non- trophy units that people say are no good are getting better then the real trophy unit because everyone is tring to go to trophy units and are not hunting the lesser units and they are producing good bucks. Everyone talks about 180 and 190 class deer. They all talk about I want a 180, 190 buck. The reality is most hunters will never see that class of buck with their butts on a quad, or in the old Ford with the heater going and to be honest, I would say there are not to many people that can turn down a 140 class buck to even see a 180 class buck. I say eveyone keep looking for those 180 and 190's and I will smile all the way to my freezer with those 140's and 150's. By the way, after we all took are bucks last year, on the way back to camp we seen one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen in Colorado, and he was in our left over tag unit. So get out of the truck and hunt. You will do fine in any unit. Good luck this season.

Tinytim

Sageman,

Just got back and I noticed a decline in deer #'s, but even though the DOW gave out 1300 less tags, I didn't feel I saw a decline in the number of hunters? I was still able to pull a decent deer with a left over tag. Saw a awful lot of deer carcasses around when we were scouting and hunting.

PM me and I'll give you more specifics if you have questions.

nrueh

I just returned,WORST YEAR sence 1992! DOW needs to let hunters know the truth! Very bad winter kill!Very few deer compared to years past! Bones at every turn in the junipers!I will give this unit a couple of years before I return.....Jim

I think I will buy a point for deer for a couple of years and see what happens also.
Still thinking about elk though.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom