Crazy sh$t ODFW in trouble

I realize this is an opinion article, but this is some scary sh1t. Everyone needs to read this and keep this in the front of their mind at all times when representing hunting, fishing and trapping. We also need to make it a point to remind hikers, foragers, bikers, skiers etc that there is no such thing as a “non consumptive” user.

As someone who grew up in OR and lived there for 45 years... sorry Oregonians you're F$%&ed! Oregon is too far over the cliff. I left, originally just across the river, because I refuse to give OR 10% of my income with their policies and direction. I had to get my kids grown, but now live in WY were I can be in full support of the state I live in.

I wish OR could have stayed what it was and I wish I could have made a difference in keeping it like it was, but the tide was too strong. You might still be there thinking you can do something, but you can't. History shows that the hunting and fishing way of life in OR is just on it's way out as the article indicates. The mass population does not support it and in fact all the woke liberals are against it.

Good luck with the fight! I threw in the towel long ago.

This is the new liberal motto I guess:

"The North American Model of Conservation, which has guided fish and game agencies since the turn of the 20th century, is outdated and no longer an appropriate and workable framework for wildlife management in this age of extinction."

How progressive. Guess the fact that the framework they are hating on actually kept animals from extinction, but little facts like that are inconsequential. Scary indeed...

I think

"The North American Model of Conservation, which has guided fish and game agencies since the turn of the 20th century, is outdated and no longer an appropriate and workable framework for wildlife management in this age of extinction."

How progressive. Guess the fact that the framework they are hating on actually kept animals from extinction, but little facts like that are inconsequential. Scary indeed...
I think you will start seeing wildlife management based on predator and prey to balanced without man as the controlling predator.

I think

I think you will start seeing wildlife management based on predator and prey to balanced without man as the controlling predator.
Uh huh. I wonder how many of our urban voter friends have heard of the perpetual predator-prey population cycles? Ya know:

1709911711625.png

Seeing 1000s of furry, lovable creatures starving to death every 5-10 years as nature takes its inevitable course. Sooooo much better than man in the mix :rolleyes:

Fish and game for every state should be for managing fish and game. As soon as states started adding park etc to the mix we have been loosing and funding everyone else. We need to stop thinking and arguing R vs NR, fishing vs hunting, hunting vs trapping & hounds, etc, etc and start sticking together.

This is another of the long list of reasons I chose to leave as well. I'm guessing there are lots of folks like myself and tmbr_huntr who threw in the towel. Wyoming here I come!

Fish and game for every state should be for managing fish and game. As soon as states started adding park etc to the mix we have been loosing and funding everyone else. We need to stop thinking and arguing R vs NR, fishing vs hunting, hunting vs trapping & hounds, etc, etc and start sticking together.
I agree mostly. I will say though, that if the game and fish doesn't have responsibilities for "all wildlife and associated habitats"- then they will be accused of hurting other wildlife in favor of game animals. Or worse, some other agency will have that responsibility. Not sure if you were going there or not.

The writer of the opinion Adam Bronstein could not start a fire with 6 YouTube instructional videos, 2 zippo lighters, a gallon of gasoline, and an even dozen road flares. Why do such people exist? Simply because we allow it. Sheesh what a moron...
Non contributing, revenue generators aside, what possible management benefits can come of this? By the by, my family's original homestead was in Canby Oregon on the Pudding River, where I first fired a shotgun @ age 9, picked blackberrys by the bucket and caught fish... good times gone by... in the Land of the Lost!!

What a bunch of crap, why do people get suckered by this kind on nonsense.

As a 60 year old native eastern Oregonian rancher and hunter there's one thing I've learned about ODFW that you can count on 100% of the time. it's all about the money, always. if you think ODFW is going to give up hunters dollars and federal payments from the Pittman Robberson act you're smoking too much weed.

Nothing is going to change. Oregon gives out too many tags and we always will. the threat to hunting in OR isn't the hippies it's too much hunting. if you don't know that you're not in the game.

I'm personally involved in the wolf BS and I can say the state is on our side , ODFW isn't the problem it's the feds. I would like to see the state give the feds the finger more that they are, but we're gaining and I think we'll soon be able to kill them west of 395.

But all you people that want to cut and run be my guest, I don't care what your reasons are as long as you go. this state sucks so bad everyone wants to live here, so if we can't stop the flood of pilgrims you leaving helps offset a little of it.

It is only "consumptive' use if they do not grow back from one generation to the next. Properly managed, there is no reason why wildlife populations would decrease as a result of hunting--and it is their job to ensure that this remains the case. As for agriculture, highways, new structures and pollution--that is different. Nothing grows where habitat is degraded or destroyed. Let's identify consumptive use where it really exists.

Last edited:
The bio's, commission, and measure 18 are the reason we're where we are.

Agreed, that was the beginning of the real nosedive deer took. but in ODFW's defense, and I don't like ODFW so it's hard to say, they opposed measure 18 as strongly as they were legally able to.

Measure 18 and a game commission that sets seasons and quotas with a bean counter not biologists are a huge part of the problem . too many people are the bigger problem, and there's nothing we can do about that.

The only extinction I know of in the lower 48 in recent years is the woodland caribou in WA. The woodland caribou were ultimately whipped out by predators which were plentiful due to all of the liberals in WA state, the last woodland caribou was captured in 2018 and released with another herd in Canada.

Pretty messed up considering they drove them to extinction and then passed a bill to allow even more strict predator management and are trying to ban it all together in the name of them being ecologically important to the state. Apparently much more important than woodland caribou which is mind-blowing to me. I feel like OR loves to follow suit on most of the policies WA gets passed.

Not really, just follow the money. and it all comes from hunters and fishermen. ODFW is run by the commission not the director. whatever happens on the hire will not determine where we go from here.

ODFW doesn't use their ability to control predation like they should because of money. and they sell way too many tags because of the money. and nothing is going to change their lust for money. so the notion they're against hunters or that they'll turn to where the money is not from where the money is has no merit. I'm no fan of ODFW , but I'm not chicken little either.

Using a picture of Wolves, which has nothing what so ever to do with ODFW and the hiring process, was the first clue the author was an idiot.

The photo caption sealed it;
"The next director of the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife will have authority over all creatures, including predators."

Back
Top Bottom