Create More Safe Passage

slamdunk

(RE)CONNECTING WILD - RESTORING SAFE PASSAGE
https://youtu.be/NK-mvhPMokY

Nevada is doing a tremendous job creating safe passage for big game.

Southern Utah's Paunsagunt tunnels have been epic in returning that unit back into a Premium LE deer unit.

We need more of these throughout Utah and other state's.
The money spent in wildlife collisions would easily pay for numerous bridges and or tunnels.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-19 AT 07:09PM (MST)[p]Utah is currently installing three new deer under passes on highway 191 between Monticello and Blanding. I applaud the effort and really think it will help the deer and elk as they migrate off the blue mnts.

Awesome video. Kudo?s to NV. and other states that are doing it for the big game herds. We need one BAD here on Hwy. 395 at Bass Hill. See dead deer way to much. It would be a fairly inexpensive one as the road is already cut down into the hill and it would just take a crossing from the top of both sides. The only one I have heard is making waves in CA. Is down south because a mountain lion has been crossing a freeway down there.

Great video. I hope more of these are put in place. Unfortunately there are some areas the migration has been permanently cut off. Migration is a learned behavior passed down by generations of deer so it would be difficult to restore some of the old migration patterns.

So awesome. Nothin worse than seeing animals plowed over on the side of the road

-Cass

Just this morning there was a fresh buck dead on highway 89 in Layton, i'd really like to see some wildlife tunnels/bridges when they start redoing it for a freeway, I bet close to 100 deer get hit there every year and that's just the ones I see!

I seen these over passes over I-80 going through Nevada. It is a great thing and a proactive tool that helps to mitigate interactions with wildlife and motorists.
It is sad that this much devastating trauma can be delivered to wildlife and motorists across the west..
I posted about a ?diamond of mule deer habitat and hunt closers? I understand a mass hunt closer is unrealistic.
Not many on here cared or read the fact that I stated.. 63 mule deer where killed on the opening night of I-15 being introduced from Riverside, Ut to Malad, ID.
Where is the foresight from our fish & game, that are payed to KNOW our wildlife and there behaviors better than anyone?
Fences NOW? That the herd is crushed...

I personally applaud Nevada in doing these things that protect these animals BEFORE the states check book is hit.

To bad neighboring States can't follow suit..

>I seen these over passes over
>I-80 going through Nevada. It
>is a great thing and
>a proactive tool that helps
>to mitigate interactions with wildlife
>and motorists.
> It is sad that this
>much devastating trauma can be
>delivered to wildlife and motorists
>across the west..
> I posted about a ?diamond
>of mule deer habitat and
>hunt closers? I understand a
>mass hunt closer is unrealistic.
>
>Not many on here cared or
>read the fact that I
>stated.. 63 mule deer where
>killed on the opening night
>of I-15 being introduced from
>Riverside, Ut to Malad, ID.
>
> Where is the foresight from
>our fish & game, that
>are payed to KNOW our
>wildlife and there behaviors better
>than anyone?
> Fences NOW? That the herd
>is crushed...
>
>I personally applaud Nevada in doing
>these things that protect these
>animals BEFORE the states check
>book is hit.
>
>To bad neighboring States can't follow
>suit..

It will be a strong topic in the new "7 year plan" starting next spring.

I think this is something everyone could get behind. We could use more in Oregon for sure. My friends who is always on the lookout and never hit a deer before and he's in his early 50's took out a fork in horn a few days ago in a place were they have no safe passage. Hopefully more states will get on board.

I've been a staunch supporter of over/underpasses for years! I've seen the good they do here in Wyoming; cutting down big game/vehicle collisions by over 90%. If that's not reason enough to keep doing it, I don't know what is!

However, Game and Fish agencies have little if any say-so in these projects. All they can do is offer their opinions and data. I get a little tired of G&F agencies catching flack for stuff that they can't control.

>I've been a staunch supporter of
>over/underpasses for years! I've seen
>the good they do here
>in Wyoming; cutting down big
>game/vehicle collisions by over 90%.
>If that's not reason enough
>to keep doing it, I
>don't know what is!
>
>However, Game and Fish agencies have
>little if any say-so in
>these projects. All they can
>do is offer their opinions
>and data. I get a
>little tired of G&F agencies
>catching flack for stuff that
>they can't control.

I agree there are more cards in play then just G&F on this issue.
The G&F has to be one of the strongest and complete avenues for voicing the states wildlife concerns to state governments...
If the G&F in all states give their data and opinions to the corresponding government and still little to no headway is achieved, why is the public not made aware of the G&F trying to do their due diligence and supporting more of these projects.

Even if it's denied at state level.?

I just read where Pelosi and Schumer are claiming that Slammys post is actually all about a manufactured crisis. Maybe we should build a wall instead of fence.

>I just read where Pelosi and
>Schumer are claiming that Slammys
>post is actually all about
> a manufactured crisis. Maybe
>we should build a wall
>instead of fence.

Lmao.....Now I'm on Hillary's hit list!?

G&F absolutely voices their concerns and opinions to legislators...at least they do here in Wyoming. However, that doesn't always lead to the legislature agreeing with them. That also happens in Wyoming; and fairly frequently.

As far as why the public is not made aware of this, I really couldn't say, but I will offer this opinion: Only a willing audience will read what you want them to. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. G&F puts out frequent press releases.

We recently received $14.5 million for projects in crucial winter range which will provide several miles of fencing along with a couple of over/underpasses! Bravo! Should have been done years ago.

This really is a no-brainer.

I guess my point is ....have you ever seen multiple press release s in a state /region...

That recommend fences and structures being a viable option for long term sustainably...,..

AND then to present this to a legislative branch.. with absolutely nothing coming of it???

That's where we write letters get involved and take the bull by the horns..supporting the fish and game..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom